Sign in with
Your question

Is it time ATI changes the naming scheme of the Ra

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2003 7:09:55 AM

Ok i was thinking ATI should stop the 9xxx name because it's becoming confusing like hell ! They have broken the sacred principle that higher is better with their wild number naming schemes.

Maybe it's time for the RADEON 2 or something. Anyway they're out of 9xxx number except for 9900. And going into 10k would be pretty lame. Some people get paid lots of money for marketing, i'm sure they can find something better.

Maybe put a new name like radeon 2, and something visible for value.

( seems they like to have like 10 kinds of radeon on the same core )

Radeon 2 pro, non pro
Radeon-2-VE 2 pro, non pro ( value edition )

and after just go with 3, 4.

It's the simplest idea but it's effective.

<b>And plz don't do like nVidia and come out with radeon3MX, wich is just a radeon 2.</b> If you understand what i mean...This is just tying screwing custumers

More about : time ati naming scheme

August 19, 2003 7:33:09 AM

Quote:
And going into 10k would be pretty lame.

Hrmm, ok then how about <b>Tendon</b>? It's perfect since it rhymes with Radeon, & well it's <i>Ten</i>-don (10k) :D .

Ok i'll shut up now lol :D .

-----
<A HREF="http://www.khmercity.com/city_music//Kerpal Comedy@@ kick my dog~ :-)/Jerky Boys - Kerpal - Airport Pakistani And Hindi Fight.mp3" target="_new">I'm going to get you, you bastard guy</A>.
August 19, 2003 7:36:06 AM

I think Radeon has served well, but time for a new serie name....and a new hoard of bugs! :wink:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.
Related resources
August 19, 2003 11:13:39 AM

what pisses me off is the how the cards relate to eachother

its misleading

heres how ATI names them:

9000pro
8500le

now, if you were not that familiar with video cards recently (as 99% of the consumers are out there) what one would you tink is the best?

the 9200

but its one of teh worst. the 2 at the bottom , are in fact teh best performers, and it steadily worsens as you rise with the exception of the 9100 which is a 8500le with varying clock speeds depending on manufacturers

also teh 9500pro and 9600pro. again , to a layman what would appear better? the higher model number .. but again, the opposite is true

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>
August 19, 2003 11:18:44 AM

TENDON! sounds more like a hospital term.
RAdeon 9900.1 plus a digital audio decoder.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>
August 19, 2003 11:24:33 AM

or Radeon Express for R420.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>
August 19, 2003 12:58:51 PM

I think they should keep it with the 9900 Pro for R360 and then change the name to R2.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>
August 19, 2003 1:01:57 PM

this thread is lame!
its ok like it is now and needs no changes!
August 19, 2003 1:01:59 PM

this thread is lame!
its ok like it is now and needs no changes!
August 19, 2003 4:11:30 PM

You need to change....
August 19, 2003 8:22:27 PM

what's ur problem -_- DDRSDRAM, whether or not a post is lame is not for u to decide

anyways

i think ATi should call it ATi Radeon FX 10000 lol

the term "FX" seems to be popular lol

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
August 19, 2003 8:22:31 PM

what's ur problem -_- DDRSDRAM, whether or not a post is lame is not for u to decide

anyways

i think ATi should call it ATi Radeon FX 10000 lol

the term "FX" seems to be popular lol

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
August 19, 2003 9:22:31 PM

Yeah i'm serious, going into the 10k range would look a bit weird. And if they start putting card with 9650 or something, it's rediculous.

I think a Radeon2 or EX or something will be good. They gotta keep the RADEON name, since it has great recongnition, but the numbering scheme is not great.
August 19, 2003 9:43:55 PM

With their next set of cards they should set aside a larger section for upgrade names.

The 9000 series only really leaves them with 10 names to choose from.

They could probably attach a letter before the numbers to signify product placing.

Radeon B XXXX - Budget Card

Radeon M XXXX - Mainstream Card

Radeon P XXXX - Performance Card

That way just by looking at that letter we know what type of card we're buying, similar to nVidia's MX and Ti series of cards.
August 19, 2003 10:08:49 PM

Yeah but once that high-end cards becomes low-end, how are you going to change the name?
It will look like the best card, for 100$.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
August 19, 2003 10:15:13 PM

That is why radeon 2-3-4 would be good.

New cars come out, incressing the number.

Ex: we have RADEON-B-M-P like above, after RADEON2-b-m-p. Soo you know the radeon-P might be better than radeon2-B, execpt one would be diret3d 8, the other 9. Much like the geforce.
August 19, 2003 10:43:46 PM

Performance graphic cards very rarely reach the $100 mark as they are already discontinued and there is no further stock by that point.

The Radeon Performance segment has had 7 performance cards in it's entire lifeline

Radeon 64MB DDR (with or without ViVo) which was later renamed as the 7200
Radeon 8500LE
Radeon 8500
Radeon 9700
Radeon 9700pro
Radeon 9800
Radeon 9800pro 129/256MB variants

Now this range has been going on for almost 5 years. It is almost impossible to find a Radeon 64MB DDR card on the market now. The 8500 still holds a value of roughly £100-£150 which is beaten by the 9500/9600 from the mainstream market.

The Radeon 9700/pro both hold their value of £275-299

So there is never really an issue over confusing model numbers as the performance market doesn't often reach the budget market and those that drop are often beaten by the mainstream cards with a higher humber and higher performance.
August 19, 2003 10:54:13 PM

Maby ATI could call their low end cards a different name?
An example that comes to mind is processor chips.
Pentium/celeron
Athlon/Duron
When someone says Pentium, we know that means high end.
When someone says celeron, we know that means low end.
Radeon = high end (9500/9600 and up)
(insert name here) = low end (9200 and down).

Just an idea
August 19, 2003 11:08:41 PM

They'd be better off implementing a coding system to denote different cards then different names.

It's easier in the CPU market as all there is is Intel Pentium, Intel Celeron, AMD Athlon and AMD Duron. Joe Public sees the Intel and AMD logo on every computer system they see, they don't see the same advertisement for Graphic chips.

If the same process were to apply to graphic cards you'd end up having Asus Geforce FX5200, Jetway GeForce FX5900, Gigabyte Radeon 9800pro, Creative Dontknow 9200pro, XFX Xabre2000, PNY SiS XXX, and so on. With more and more graphic chips being placed on 3rd party boards, it is more important to have a cohesive model number system. We know that an FX5900 is made by nVidia and is a superior model to an FX5200 which is also made by nVidia. The retail boxes for graphics cards have a small logo in the bottom corner saying who makes the chips, the biggest name on the box is who makes the card.

Easiest way to look at it, which is more powerful

Jetway Prancer
Jetway Dancer
Jetway Blitzen
Jetway Rudolph
etc.

You wouldn't know what's more powerful

If we renamed them to

Jetway Prancer 9200pro
Jetway Prancer 9800pro
Jetway Dancer 5200ultra
Jetway Dancer 5900Ultra

You'd have a better idea of how the cards relate to each other.
August 19, 2003 11:22:23 PM

maybe not to you because you follow the industry. think about the normal clueless consumer ... no it doenst happen all the time, but any confusion to me is dishonesty

it should be clear cut so people know hwat they are buying

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2003 12:27:01 AM

How about the suffixes "LE" and "SE". LE normally stands for "Limitted Edition", but in ATI's case it's "Light Edition", underclocked cards. And SE normally stands for Special Edition, but in ATI's case it stands for Shitty Edition, with 1/2 width memory busses!

Oh, and nVidia is not much better, MX would make the layman thing "Max", but it's really their lowest cards. And if you traded in your GeForce2 Ultra for a GeForce3 Ti200, then a GeForce4 MX420, you'd be loosing performance with every upgrade!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 20, 2003 5:26:42 AM

they should just name it after the chip.. at least those numbers go upwards and are quite determineable..

Radeon Value 360

and one day..

Radeon 400 / 10000

oh, and its not that simple for cpu's as well.. i can find a cheap p4 here or there, and guess what? its an OLD one! one of that sucking first cores, wich run so ****ing slow.. :D  and other things.. see the dawn demo scandal, on why it doesn't run on some athlons and does on some others. and they even do have the XP in! nobody knows really that athlon XP has SSE in.. so its a p3 core, while the normal athlon is sort of a p2 core.. :D 

there are always issues..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2003 5:34:18 AM

Clueless consumers pay for the R&D that pleases ME. Just like it was the MX fans who really finance the making of the FX series (perhaps they should punish them further!).

We still have alot of numbers left; the could be 9850, 9876, 9999. And in the mid-range, 9669, 9696, 9666. Theme? Sure; here's the comment I tried to post to xBit labs article about this;

----
<font color=blue>
What to Call the RV360?</font color=blue>

How about the <b><font color=red>R9500Pro</font color=red></b> :wink:

<b>R9666EVIL</b> Good followup to the R9600PRo Evil Goalie :evil: 

<b>R9669</b> for those sexually frustrated computer geeks and fans of palindromes.

<b>R9600FRO</b> Cause Black is Beautiful Baby! Once you go Black you'll never go Back. What happened to the Sapphire Black PCB?

<b>R9600.2.7.1 w/ SP2 + patch 303</b>

<b>R9630GOD</b> To counteract the evil the divine divisable Trinity.

<b>R9600Pro Revision 2</b> The ONLY thing more nV-like than that would be to call it the ULTRA!

<b> P10 or Vodoo 7 7777 </b> :wink:

<b>R9600SpecialUltimatePerformanceAdvancement</b> or the R9600SUPA for short

and finally;

<b>Reason to Upgrade #71</b> What? That's what most people will be calling it! :tongue:

I think they should Start naming their Cards after colours, and then they could be like the paint companies with the Radeon EGGShell to be followed by the Radeon Alabaster and the Radeon Linen. That would avoid confussion!

---

In the end, I never was concerned with the numbering scheme as long as an R9500 was an R9500, and an R9800 was and R9800 (not some underclocked piece of PC crap!). The only people hurt by it are the blind idiots who also glance at the colour print-out of a THG screencapture showing 3Dmark scores and use that to chose their cards.

Here's an Idea make the names in CODE, and supply a decoder ring/wheel either in cereal or in a previous ATI retail box. That way only FanATIcs would know that an ATI 3F!H2* was an ATI Nebula! Product tie ins could work both ways. Bring in 4 old Rage Fury cards and receive a Free box of Cheerios!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2003 5:37:06 AM

Both have 3D Now!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 20, 2003 5:48:21 AM

Crash, hate to say it but in the majority of tests, the Ti200 is a far better product in performance than the GF2 Ultra.

--
August 20, 2003 6:20:58 AM

Dont burst his bubble...he's still living out those days of GF2 supremecy.....mentally.

I <b>help</b> because <b>you</b> suck.
<b>Play Raven Shield</b>
August 20, 2003 6:21:58 AM

Grape,
That was a Bad Ass post!.....you own dude! :cool:

I <b>help</b> because <b>you</b> suck.
<b>Play Raven Shield</b>
August 20, 2003 9:41:49 AM

yes. but nobody uses 3dnow :D  (today, about nobody cares about it anymore.. they optimize for mmx, and sse, and thats it. reason? athlon perform well in unoptimized code, p4 only in sse code.. so, to get good performance on both, you optimize for p4)

3dnow is rather unimportant today. can change.. with athlon64 possibly.. then again, athlon64 has sse in, and twice the sse registers (can't wait!:D )

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2003 8:47:51 PM

I was just remembering how the GeForce3 barely beat the 2-Ultra initially, and then the Ti200 was slower than the original 3. But it looks like driver updates gave all the 3's a good enough boost to put thme on top before the Ti series was introduced!

August 20, 2003 9:17:15 PM

Phial, the only way to make it clear cut would be to model number it according to 3D Marks2003 scores with each card being used in the same PC setup, and then even that could be misleading when you throw nVidia into the pot.

The point I was making is that by using a model name you've got a good idea of how model numbers within one group relate to each other.
!