Trouble Shooting Hardware and Software Driver Problems

My computer has been going downhill fast for the past 3 weeks. It's been
freezing and crashing at least 10 times a day and the number of freeze-ups
and crashes are growing. I downloaded and installed and then uninstalled 5
anti-virus programs and searched for viruses and worms. I also went into
safe mode and ran a program to search for viruses and worms in DOS. All
results said that I have no viruses and/or worms. I'm also behind a
firewall. I receive several different messages from Microsoft after I crash
and send a report to Microsoft: 1. Error caused by Device Driver, 2. Error
caused by Macromedia, Inc, 3. Error caused by Network Associted Technology
Inc (McAfee VirusScan), 4. Hardware failure: Contact Original Equipment
Manufacturer, 5. Generic Host Process for Win32 Service encountered a problem
and needs to close, 6. Error caused by Graphics Device Driver, and several
more.

I recently went to another Microsoft Help page "How to Troubleshoot Hardware
and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP." I understand and can perform
all the directions except: "Turn off BIOS-level antivirus protection." I
don't know how to do this. I searched through Microsoft but could find no
help.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Denise , can you tell me , do you know if the electric circuit board in
your house is a modern circuit board ?
The board where the Electric Power Company look at with a meter on
it where they calculate the electricity your house uses so they can
send your power bill .
In the house I rent in the circuit board is old and 3 electricians
have each recommended the electrical installation in the house be
upgraded to a modern standard .
I am asking because my computers harddrive does not get enough power
to process data completely and all of those reports from Microsoft about
what the problem is after your computer crashes look almost identical
to the reports Microsoft has sent me during the time I have had Windows
Error Reporting enabled when my computer has crashed .
It may simply mean too that your harddrive is not getting enough
power for another reason , like a connector is loose or even that the
harddrive is failing .

--
xarryier
xarryier's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=866

Hi xarryier,

Thanks for responding. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I wound up
having to take my computer to a tech because it starting crashing every 2 to
3 minutes. The problem was my RAM was no longer any good. The tech had my
computer for a week and he, as I, thought it was a virus, worm, etc. I
thought that it may have also been my video card or a driver, because the
symptoms pointed to either of these 3 things. $175.00 later, I have new RAM
and my computer is working terrifically. Thanks again for attempting to
help. . . I appreciate it.

Denise