Graphics card info

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Hi all

Is there software out that can ID your display card? I'm not talking about extracting the info out of device manager or sysinfo.

What I need to do is ID the display card with only Windows installed, with no drivers loaded. It's a pain installing a client's PC needing to open the box every time.

I've seen some manufactures have something similiar with there CDs, like Chronos. Insert the driver CD and it will detect the model and type of chip (ie ATI, Nvidia, SIS, etc)

Want to get laid??? Crawl up a chicken's butt and wait.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Well, I don't know what OS you're talking about here, but you could maybe just type in "dxdiag" & the gfx info should be there.

-----
<A HREF="http://www.khmercity.com/city_music//Kerpal Comedy@@ kick my dog~ :)/Jerky Boys - Kerpal - Airport Pakistani And Hindi Fight.mp3" target="_new">I'm going to get you, you bastard guy</A>.

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Well, any Windows version actually.

Would DX be able to view to display card even if the drivers are not installed? Won't it just say "Standard VGA Adapter"???

Because that was my question really.

Want to get laid??? Crawl up a chicken's butt and wait.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
If it doesn't, then you could install SiSoft Sandra, that should be able to detect your card.

-----
<A HREF="http://www.khmercity.com/city_music//Kerpal Comedy@@ kick my dog~ :)/Jerky Boys - Kerpal - Airport Pakistani And Hindi Fight.mp3" target="_new">I'm going to get you, you bastard guy</A>.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
AIDA seems to show more information about the video card like the directx version it supports, core name, clock speed etcc...

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I downloaded AIDA.

But it also seems to extract the data from the registry and from the driver files itself, which would be useless in this scenario.

I'll have to test it. Thanks for the input so far.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
i still can get your point of ID video card.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
OK, picture this scenario...

You get about 40-50 PCs from a client, all no-name whitebox specials, all different. They're not write-offs. Some P166, some P2 400, maybe a P3. Install Win 2000 Pro on all. More than half of them the display card needs drivers. (We all know how well Microsoft supports S3, Trident and SiS [smell the sarcasm]) And also we know how many flavours of S3 Trio there are. So, on a fresh install, use the particular software, and it will tell you what driver to install. No need to make your hands dirty opening the cases of 25 PCs and spend the rest of the week on the FCC site, because this one manufacturer decided to glue the heatsink on with crazy glue. Time is money. You get paid more migrating a Linux Sendmail site to a Microsoft Exhange site than trying to get drivers from Jetway because their site is always down.

I hope that is clear enough. The problem is so clear that there must be solution.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Outsource it overseas!
Provide whatever info you can read on the graphics card and let other people do the work.

Course the setup may be a bit expensive. :frown:

How about charging the client for a new cheap video card?
Like $30.

Give the other cards away if you can't find the drivers fast or sell by the pound like they do with used books.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/19/03 06:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
$30? Surely those PCs would be requiring PCI graphics which in my experience are far more epxensive than $30. (I'll be honest I work in £ and PCI cards are hard to come across)

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Gastrian, you're quite right. (I live in a dark place where you find elephants and zebras on our highways.) Where time is critical and your name and company is always under the looking glass, you can't afford to waste time on petty things. It's not a challenge anymore to find a driver anymore. It becomes tedious after 6 years working in this industry.

TRENDING THREADS