BIOS-level antivirus protection

My computer has been going downhill fast for the past 3 weeks. It's been
freezing and crashing at least 10 times a day and the number of freeze-ups
and crashes are growing. I downloaded and installed and then uninstalled 5
anti-virus programs and searched for viruses and worms. I also went into
safe mode and ran a program to search for viruses and worms in DOS. All
results said that I have no viruses and/or worms. I'm also behind a
firewall. I receive several different messages from Microsoft after I crash
and send a report to Microsoft: 1. Error caused by Device Driver, 2. Error
caused by Macromedia, Inc, 3. Error caused by Network Associted Technology
Inc (McAfee VirusScan), 4. Hardware failure: Contact Original Equipment
Manufacturer, 5. Generic Host Process for Win32 Service encountered a problem
and needs to close, 6. Error caused by Graphics Device Driver, and several
more.

I recently went to another Microsoft Help page "How to Troubleshoot Hardware
and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP." I understand and can perform
all the directions except: "Turn off BIOS-level antivirus protection." I
don't know how to do this. I searched through Microsoft but could find no
help.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You get into the BIOS right after you start the computer but before Windows
starts. (The BIOS is on your motherboard and has nothing to do with the
actual operation of Windows.)

There is more than one way to get into the BIOS and the manual that came
with your system should tell you how. Usually there is a message on the
screen, when the memory is being counted/checked during computer start, that
tells you to hit DEL or F8 or <something> to get into the BIOS.

"denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer has been going downhill fast for the past 3 weeks. It's been
> freezing and crashing at least 10 times a day and the number of freeze-ups
> and crashes are growing. I downloaded and installed and then uninstalled
> 5
> anti-virus programs and searched for viruses and worms. I also went into
> safe mode and ran a program to search for viruses and worms in DOS. All
> results said that I have no viruses and/or worms. I'm also behind a
> firewall. I receive several different messages from Microsoft after I
> crash
> and send a report to Microsoft: 1. Error caused by Device Driver, 2.
> Error
> caused by Macromedia, Inc, 3. Error caused by Network Associted
> Technology
> Inc (McAfee VirusScan), 4. Hardware failure: Contact Original Equipment
> Manufacturer, 5. Generic Host Process for Win32 Service encountered a
> problem
> and needs to close, 6. Error caused by Graphics Device Driver, and several
> more.
>
> I recently went to another Microsoft Help page "How to Troubleshoot
> Hardware
> and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP." I understand and can perform
> all the directions except: "Turn off BIOS-level antivirus protection." I
> don't know how to do this. I searched through Microsoft but could find no
> help.
>
> Does anybody know how to do this?

Hi Jerry, Thanks for responding. My computer was made and maintained by
someone who was very close to me who passed away several months ago and I
have no manual to turn to for guidance.

The screens that open pass by very quickly and within a second or two, they
have moved on to the next screen to continue to open Windows.

I attempted to find the BIOS settings by touching the Del key, F8, and F5
(my computer it's compartmented). The closest setting I found that could be
changed that included the word BIOS was when I pressed the Del key, and the
menu which opened had a choice AMIBIOS Simple Setup Utility > Advanced Setup
> Quick Boot if Enabled. Is this the setting that is mentioned in the
directions given me by Microsoft to turn off BIOS-level antivirus protection?
I don't believe it is but there were no other options/no other mention of
BIOS.

Denise

"Jerry" wrote:

> You get into the BIOS right after you start the computer but before Windows
> starts. (The BIOS is on your motherboard and has nothing to do with the
> actual operation of Windows.)
>
> There is more than one way to get into the BIOS and the manual that came
> with your system should tell you how. Usually there is a message on the
> screen, when the memory is being counted/checked during computer start, that
> tells you to hit DEL or F8 or <something> to get into the BIOS.
>
> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer has been going downhill fast for the past 3 weeks. It's been
> > freezing and crashing at least 10 times a day and the number of freeze-ups
> > and crashes are growing. I downloaded and installed and then uninstalled
> > 5
> > anti-virus programs and searched for viruses and worms. I also went into
> > safe mode and ran a program to search for viruses and worms in DOS. All
> > results said that I have no viruses and/or worms. I'm also behind a
> > firewall. I receive several different messages from Microsoft after I
> > crash
> > and send a report to Microsoft: 1. Error caused by Device Driver, 2.
> > Error
> > caused by Macromedia, Inc, 3. Error caused by Network Associted
> > Technology
> > Inc (McAfee VirusScan), 4. Hardware failure: Contact Original Equipment
> > Manufacturer, 5. Generic Host Process for Win32 Service encountered a
> > problem
> > and needs to close, 6. Error caused by Graphics Device Driver, and several
> > more.
> >
> > I recently went to another Microsoft Help page "How to Troubleshoot
> > Hardware
> > and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP." I understand and can perform
> > all the directions except: "Turn off BIOS-level antivirus protection." I
> > don't know how to do this. I searched through Microsoft but could find no
> > help.
> >
> > Does anybody know how to do this?

While you are waiting for Jerry to get back to you I can tell you , you
are on the right path to looking in the Bios . The AMIBIOS is what
Jerry is telling you to look in .
If you are wondering why I am following your posts , I spent almost
a year trying to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition on my desktop and
now that I can reinstall Windows quite well I feel I feel I can let
my experience help someone else .

--
xarryier
xarryier's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=866

Denise

A website that will tell you how to access BIOS.. full of other accurate and
useful info too..

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> [...]
>> > and send a report to Microsoft: 1. Error caused by Device Driver, 2.
>> > Error
>> > caused by Macromedia, Inc, 3. Error caused by Network Associted
>> > Technology
>> > Inc (McAfee VirusScan), 4. Hardware failure: Contact Original Equipment
>> > Manufacturer, 5. Generic Host Process for Win32 Service encountered a
>> > problem
>> > and needs to close, 6. Error caused by Graphics Device Driver, and
>> > several
>> > more.
>> >
>> > I recently went to another Microsoft Help page "How to Troubleshoot
>> > Hardware
>> > and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP." I understand and can
>> > perform
>> > all the directions except: "Turn off BIOS-level antivirus protection."
>> > don't know how to do this. I searched through Microsoft but could find

Thanks again xarryier,

I come to this site very seldom because I find that many people feel that
the rudeness displayed in their replies is justified due to their "superior"
knowledge of computers, hardware &/or software. You've been very kind and
encouraging and I thank you for it.

The symptoms that my computer was "showing" to Microsoft and McAfee in
reports that I sent to them led me down several avenues for many hours a day
for a couple of weeks, but each "solution" turned out to be a dead end.
Checking the BIOS was the last recommendation that I received from Microsoft
but by that time my computer was crashing every 2 to 3 minutes and I couldn't
do anything with it before it would crash again.

As I stated in another forum, I wound up having to take my computer to a
tech who worked on it for 7 days trying to determine the cause of the problem
and then fixing it, which included replacing the RAM. We were both surprised
because the symptoms didn't point to any problems with the RAM, and that was
confirmed by the reports that I received from Microsoft and McAfee. I just
got my computer back this afternoon and after installing all the programs
that I like to have in my computer, including their updates and some drivers,
I went to check my email and saw that there was a response to my question.

I'm not a computer tech and I don't pretend to be computer savy, but I tried
my best. Unfortunately, it was a hardware problem and not a software problem
so that I couldn't fix the problem or wouldn't have been able to fix the
problem no matter what procedure I followed that was given to me by either
Microsoft and McAfee. The cause of the problem actually baffled all of us
and maybe that was the reason for the rude replies . . . they didn't know the
reason or the cure and chose to scoff at me and throw insults instead of
either writing no reply or doing some research to find the fix.

Due to the rude replies that I've received in this forum and in another, I
doubt that I'll ever come back here again. A few people who seem to think
that they know it all try to lord it over those who they feel aren't
deserving of simple respect. It's a shame because this forum is a good idea
and if it worked the way it was intended, it could be very helpful. As it
is, though, the cons outweigh the pros because of those who look down their
noses at others who have less computer tech knowledge which, for some reason,
makes them feel that they have the right to insult others. The irony is, is
that they too were off-base and the "help" that they provided was incorrect.
Since I come here for help but received more insults than help, I see no
reason to come here again.

Again, thanks for trying . . . it was very much appreciated. :)

Denise