RG Legends/beatdown

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 21, 2005 1:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Greetings, All--

New deck idea. Please critique away....

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Sakura Tribe-Elder
4x Viridian Shaman
4x Eternal Witness
4x Magma Jet
2x Fireball
2x Duplicant
4x Time of Need
3x Solemn Similacrum
1x Kumano, Master Yamabushi
1x Kodama of the North Tree
1x Jugan, the Rising Star
1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
1x Bosh
1x Glissa
1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

10x Mountain
10x Forest
1x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1x Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep

Sideboard
4x Troll Ascetic
1x Duplicant
1x Dosan, the Falling Leaf
4x Naturalize
4x Molten Rain
1x Furnace Dragon

This is just a variant of your average RG beatdown deck. Mana
accelerate, with early blockers. Cast Time of Need to call up the
Legend you need. More-or-less all the non-legends can be abused with
Kiki-Jiki.

The sideboard is pretty straight forward. Naturalizes and the Furnace
Dragon for affinity; molten rains and an extra duplicant for T&N; Dosan
and Molten Rains for the blue control; and if you're going against a
creature-lite deck, sub in the Trolls for Viridian Shamans.

I'm thinking about maybe putting in some Triskelions for weenie decks,
but I don't know what I'd remove from the sideboard.
Thanks for your comments!

Scott

More about : legends beatdown

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:00:01 AM

On 2005-01-21, Hawkwind <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2x Fireball

I think that's the right amount. w/ 4 magma jets, you have the low-end
removal, and now you have the killer burn or the ability to get rid of one big
or many little critters.

> 4x Time of Need

Nice, I like how you have set this up as a way to tutor the legend you need.
It's pretty slick.

> 1x Ryusei, the Falling Star

This is once I'm not sure of. He could clear your witnesses, etc, although
other cards he clears (elder, solemn, is not really a problem. I guess that
the chances of you having Ryusei and kiki at the same time would be very slim,
so the drawback may be slight, and the benefit (against tokens, weenie, etc)
would be good. A way to use his nearly ground-wrath effect would be nice.

> 1x Bosh

A way to throw that ryusei at their head, and then kill their critters, huh?
Nice.

> 1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Always super fun. One thing, if you're looking for spots in the main deck for
side-boarded cards, you could get rid of one of the "comes into play" cards
like you've done with the solemn and rely on kiki. Risky, and it would
require some testing, but I see how it might also open up some space

> 10x Mountain
> 10x Forest
> 1x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
> 1x Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep

I'm thinking one or two Boseiju (spelling) in the main and side, or two
side depending on how much control you play against. You want that Dosan to be
able to get into the game. Hadn't thought of him (don't have one) but it sure
would be nice to get him in there vs. control

> Sideboard
> 4x Troll Ascetic
> 1x Duplicant
> 1x Dosan, the Falling Leaf
> 4x Naturalize
> 4x Molten Rain
> 1x Furnace Dragon

Not much to say here, 'cept the Furnace dragon isn't a legend, is he? If you
find him important, you might want more. Alternatively, you might be able to
run granulates. Again, against afini-control (some people run a few mana
leaks or those affinity counterspells) the Boseiju could be worth it. 2 life
or whatever to kill all those ravagers? Sounds like a deal to me :)
If you have the mana, and are facing a *lot* of artifacts, you could think
about demolish. Man, I miss pillage.

> This is just a variant of your average RG beatdown deck. Mana

I like it. It's fun, and seems like a great tweak of the Stampede pre-con.
Okay, other than the magma jet and the witness, it's not much like that. But,
if you are looking for some mana accel, you could look at the reap & sow, or
the R/G talisman (of indulgence? dominance?) that came with that set. The
birds are certainly nicer.

> I'm thinking about maybe putting in some Triskelions for weenie decks,
> but I don't know what I'd remove from the sideboard.

Neither do I. I think Kumano is good in the deck vs. the weenie. Vulshok
sorcerer's would be decent, but, again, I don't know what I'd take out to put
them in there.

Have you had a chance to play this one yet? I'd like to hear how it's working
out.

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net
!