Can't get my printer working right

I'm a Windows XP and VS.net newbie, so be gentle. I like my listings on
fanfold paper for debugging, so I bought an Oki ML391turbo dot matrix
printer. I hooked it up and everything works great except that when I print
out listings from within VS, it sends out printer formatting commands that
are incompatible with the printer. They override the internal setup of the
printer. I know that I have the printer set up right through the front
panel and that I have the right driver loaded and I'm running the right
emulation for the printer. Actually, it may not be VS, but Windows itself,
since the same
thing happens when I go to the Printers and Faxes screen and print a test
page to the printer. There may be some sort of default formatting coming
from Windows. In any event, unless I can find a way to make these tools
act right with my printer, then I've wasted several hundred dollars. This
would be, in my opinion, a serious flaw in a tool as sophisticated as
Windows or VS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about printer working right

    Try a different driver. The "Generic Text Printer" driver would probably work with dot-matrix

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "The Fat Dad" <mark.mickelsen@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OwcIyfBKFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > I'm a Windows XP and VS.net newbie, so be gentle. I like my listings on
    > fanfold paper for debugging, so I bought an Oki ML391turbo dot matrix
    > printer. I hooked it up and everything works great except that when I print
    > out listings from within VS, it sends out printer formatting commands that
    > are incompatible with the printer. They override the internal setup of the
    > printer. I know that I have the printer set up right through the front
    > panel and that I have the right driver loaded and I'm running the right
    > emulation for the printer. Actually, it may not be VS, but Windows itself,
    > since the same
    > thing happens when I go to the Printers and Faxes screen and print a test
    > page to the printer. There may be some sort of default formatting coming
    > from Windows. In any event, unless I can find a way to make these tools
    > act right with my printer, then I've wasted several hundred dollars. This
    > would be, in my opinion, a serious flaw in a tool as sophisticated as
    > Windows or VS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Formatting Printers Microsoft Windows XP