did we tie? help needed

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi all,

i was playing a game last night, and i used memnark to steal my
opponents platinum angel (i can't lose the game), and later on my opponent
played a card (don't recall name - coaltion victory?) that said , if you
control a land of each color, you win the game. sooooo... who the hell won?

SPIDERMAN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i was playing a game last night, and i used memnark to steal my
> opponents platinum angel (i can't lose the game), and later on my opponent
> played a card (don't recall name - coaltion victory?) that said , if you
> control a land of each color, you win the game. sooooo... who the hell
> won?

Nobody. The Coalition Victory attempts to make him the winner, but can't,
because the Platinum Angel says he can't win. The Victory does Nothing
Observable, and play continues.

Coalition Victory 3WBURG
Sorcery
You win the game if you control a land of each basic land type and a
creature of each color.

Platinum Angel 7
Artifact Creature--Angel
4/4
Flying
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

SPIDERMAN <SPIDER@WEB.COM> wrote:
> i was playing a game last night, and i used memnark to steal my
>opponents platinum angel (i can't lose the game), and later on my opponent
>played a card (don't recall name - coaltion victory?) that said , if you
>control a land of each color, you win the game. sooooo... who the hell won?

Rules questions go over on .rules .

If you had control of a Platinum Angel,

Platinum Angel 7 Artifact Creature -- Angel
4/4 Flying You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.

at the time opponent had a spell or ability resolve that says he wins the
game? The Platinum Angel's effect says he can't win the game, and that takes
precedence over something that says he does win the game. So on resolution
of the Coalition Victory, he does not win the game; it tries to make him win,
but can't, so Does Nothing, and the game continues. (It does not "become a
draw" or anything like that.)

Short answer: nobody won right then, and the game went on.

Dave

In <ptudnd5jd-SkZ2rcRVn-3A@rogers.com> "SPIDERMAN" <SPIDER@WEB.COM> writes:

> Hi all,

> i was playing a game last night, and i used memnark to steal my
> opponents platinum angel (i can't lose the game), and later on my opponent
> played a card (don't recall name - coaltion victory?) that said , if you
> control a land of each color, you win the game. sooooo... who the hell won?

For the comprehensive rules:

103.2. When a rule or effect says something can happen and another effect
says it can't, the "can't" effect wins. For example, if one effect reads
"You may play an additional land this turn" and another reads "You can't
play land cards this turn," the effect that keeps you from playing lands
wins out.

Therefore, your Angel beats your opponent's Victory. Victory says he
wins, but Angel says he can't win. The Victory had no effect.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

thanks a million guys. straightened that one out perfectly, and in future.
much obliged

On 2005-01-26, SPIDERMAN <SPIDER@WEB.COM> wrote:
> i was playing a game last night, and i used memnark to steal my
> opponents platinum angel (i can't lose the game), and later on my opponent
> played a card (don't recall name - coaltion victory?) that said , if you
> control a land of each color, you win the game. sooooo... who the hell won?

This is probably for .rules, however, Platinum Angel also says you cannot lose
the game. I would say that, in addition to the Coalition Victory, you
opponent needed to get rid of your(his) Platinum Angel, and the game would
continue until you win, or the Platinum is gone.

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net