R/B control & burn: viable in Type II?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I like pre-constructed decks to demonstrate the new mechanics of a format, and
I've been enamoured with the R/B archetype since I bought the Sparkler way
back in Stronghold. So, I'm trying to work on a newer version of the deck for
Standard tournaments, at least at my local card shop. Suggestions are welcome

// Creatures
1 Platinum Angel

// Spells - Red 12
2 Pulse of the Forge (I had 3 originally, but they were a problem the bridge)
2 Hammer of Bogardan (all I have, maybe a third? more seems like too many)
2 Magma Jet (all I have, definitely one or two more)
2 Fireball
4 Electrostatic Bolt

// Spells - Blue 14
4 Mana Leak
3 Rewind
4 Inspiration
1 Fabricate (to find the angel, stone, or hub)
2 Remove Soul

// Artifacts 12
3 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Isochron Scepter
1 Oblivion Stone
4 Wayfarer's Bauble

// Lands 22
12 Mountain
10 Island

// Sideboard
4 Shatter
4 Annul
1 Eon Hub (stops the upkeep, if Hondens.dec is in your metagame)
3 Imi Statue

That's 61 cards. I'm thinking I don't really need the Angel, but I had one
and they're just, well, cool. I could remove the two Remove Souls and that
would open a spot for the additional jet or hammer.

Any ideas would be appreciated

thanks,

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Is counter burn viable? no not really. It might be come 9th ed. w/ Shard
phoenix, but right now your decks is way to mana intensive to support combat
against Affinity.

-2 Pulse of the Forge
+2 Magma Jet

-4 Inspiration (works against Bridge completely)
+4 TfK (still does but digs deeper and less anti-bridge)

-2 Remove Soul
-1 Fabricate
+3 Echoing Truth/Ruin

-4 Bauble
+4 Shrapnel Blast

Add some arti-lands and you have t2 counter burn, also Arcane is something
to look into because of the virtual card advantage.

On 2005-01-29, Darkwvlf <darkwvlf@isp.com> wrote:
> Is counter burn viable? no not really. It might be come 9th ed. w/ Shard
> phoenix, but right now your decks is way to mana intensive to support combat
> against Affinity.

Sad, I just love this type of deck.

> -4 Inspiration (works against Bridge completely)
> +4 TfK (still does but digs deeper and less anti-bridge)

Good idea.

> -2 Remove Soul
> -1 Fabricate
> +3 Echoing Truth/Ruin

Echoing truth is a great card, and I wanted it in there, but was having
problems finding where to fit it in. I see how that would be better than the
remove soul, so I think it will make that change.

> -4 Bauble
> +4 Shrapnel Blast

No baubles? I was finding it hard to smooth out the mana without them.
Solemns would be nice, but I just don't have them. Plus, 4 mana might be a
bit much, since I want the lands to stick around for couters, etc.

> Add some arti-lands and you have t2 counter burn, also Arcane is something
> to look into because of the virtual card advantage.

Thanks for the advice, looks pretty good. One thing about splice, though:
wouldn't it work against the Bridge, as well?

Also, one thing I think I forgot to mention: my original build included
fatespinner in it. 3 copies, I think. I found that they might be a bit
redundant with the bridge, but I like the way they really slow down my
opponent's turn. Of course, I don't care about the combat phase, so I just
skip that each turn, but my opponent has to usually skip either main or
combat, which really slows him down.

I also had Flamebreaks in there originally. I liked their synergy with the
pulse, since I could be attacked, knock out most creatures, and then cast
pulse and still have it in my hand. Maybe that's unreasonable vs. affinity,
but I liked how it redered Welding jar unusable.

Anyway, what are your thoughts: Pyroclasm or Flamebreak?

thanks,

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

The reason I say lose the bauble is because it costs 3 mana to use, if
anything use chromatic sphere to smooth the base because it costs 1 mana
less to use.

your right about the splice, unfortunately that is the problem with
counter/burn and bridge

Pyroclasm all the way, RRR would be nigh on impossible to get easily in this
deck so Pyroclasm is your buddy

On 2005-01-31, Darkwvlf <darkwvlf@isp.com> wrote:
> your right about the splice, unfortunately that is the problem with
> counter/burn and bridge

I think I might try something different with this deck. I was just re-looking
at my fatespinner which I thought worked out pretty well in the first couple
trials of the deck, but i took it out quickly for the ensnaring bridge, since
I thought that was the way to go. In any case, I'm thinking maybe a stalling
route for the deck. Some mana leaks, stone rains, and such to stall until I
can get out a game-winner. Maybe some shackles. Solemns if I could get my
hands on them. Cosmic Larva as a finisher? Spark Elementals as an opener? I
dunno, I'm just throwing this off the top of my head

The thing is that I never see anyone using the Fatespinner. Easy to get rid
of, sure, but not as easy as, say, a temporal adept. Well, maybe there's not
much difference, but still. Anyone have an opinion on this card?

> Pyroclasm all the way, RRR would be nigh on impossible to get easily in this
> deck so Pyroclasm is your buddy

With the baubles, I didn't have too much of a problem being able to cast the
flamebreaks when I needed them. The only bummer was when I drew both ofthem
in an opening hand, but there's not much you can do there.
Flamebreak in a red/bridge deck, I think; and I'll put the pyros in this one.

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

the chromatic shpere realy only costs 1, the 1 to activate realy is
free