B/R/g Extended Control "Dirty Deed"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

This is the deck I'm looking into playing this EXT season tell me what you
think

MD:
4x Duress
4x Cabal Therapy
4x Innocent Blood
4x Vampiric Tutor
4x Firebolt
2x Chainer's Edict
3x Burning Wish
3x Pernicious Deed
1x Genesis
2x Reanimate
1x Earthquake
3x Recoup
1x Haunting Echoes

3x Wooded Foothills
6x Swamp
4x Bloodstained Mire
2x Forest
1x Karplusan Forest
1x Darigaaz's Caldera
5x Mountain
2x Llanowar Wastes

SB:
3x Terminate
3x Meltdown
2x Reanimate
1x Recoup
1x Earthquake
1x Haunting Echoes
1x Beacon of Destruction
1x Decompose
1x Threaten
1x Cranial Extraction
1x Rude Awakening

--
Daniel J. Elsenpeter
e-mail:darkwvlf@yahoo.com; darkwvlf@isp.com

    On 2005-01-29, Darkwvlf <darkwvlf@isp.com> wrote:
    > This is the deck I'm looking into playing this EXT season tell me what you
    > think

    I wish I could help. I don't have much Extended experience, but am hoping to
    play for the first time in one of the extended tournaments this season.
    I like the Burning Wish + Cranial idea, especially, since I only have one
    extraction ;)
    I was thinking of running some sort of Goblin deck, since I have most of the
    cards I need, and only need to pick up a couple others, like the wish.

    I admit, I'm a little lost on your win condition. Is it to steal one of their
    dead creatures and beat them over the head with it? Firebolts for the last
    damage? You can't wish in the Beacon. If you find you've got a lot of mana
    by the mid-late game (which you'll likely be around to have) you could side a
    Fireball or a Kaervek’s Torch. Wish for it, and then send it to their head.

    That's my kind of deck, actually; I like it. Wish I had those Tutors...

    In vino veritas
    http://openwine.net
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    The Win condition is actually Haunting Echoes the back up is stealing
    creatures. You kill everything they play, make them discard into a HUGE GY
    and then echoes them, essentially decking them to the point that they cant
    recover. It is one of the most brutal ways to die in Magic.

    Most of the popular decks this season should be creature based and I know
    for a fact that this deck performs very well against creature based deck and
    fairs pretty well against the other control decks.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Also, you could use Firebolt and Beacon of Destruction and Earthquake. You
    can hard cast all of these for DMG. With recoup you can recast earthquake
    for X1RR (1R for recoup XR for earthquake), and give Firebolt a new
    flashback cost of 1RR (1R for recoup R for Firebolt) and the Beacon is
    wishable with Burning Wish. Also you could wish up Rude Awakening and swing
    in with 10 Lands to kill (makes your lands 2/2 and untaps them for 6GG).

    I changed the MD and SB a little and will take about the changes.
    here is the new list.

    4 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Vampiric Tutor
    4 Firebolt
    3 Terminate
    3 Burning Wish
    3 Pernicious Deed
    2 Reanimate
    3 Recoup
    1 Earthquake
    1 Haunting Echoes

    1 Wooded Foothills
    5 Swamp (3)
    4 Sulfurous Springs
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Forest (2)
    1 Darigaaz's Caldera
    4 Mountain (4)
    3 Llanowar Wastes

    SB:
    2 Reanimate
    1 Earthquake
    1 Recoup
    1 Haunting Echoes
    1 Beacon of Destruction
    1 Decompose
    2 Meltdown
    1 Threaten
    1 Cranial Extraction
    1 Rude Awakening
    3 Pyroclasm

    First thing I did was put the Terminates in the MD instead of side and took
    out the Chainer's Edict and the one Genesis, the were unnecessary and I
    think Terminate will give me way better spot removal for things like Verdant
    Force and X Angels and Blistering Firecats. Having that instant speed helps
    a lot. and losing the edicts only cut me back 3 sorcery's for recoup tricks
    there are still 20 other sorceries in the deck to flashback so it wasn't a
    big loss. Also I reworked the mana base. I sat down and did the percentages
    behind the deck and analyzed the mana base and it is well way skewed red in
    the previous version so I scaled it back a little added more black and
    lowered the over all green mana access because I took out genesis. Now it is
    slightly more heavily skewed black then red and should make the probability
    of having what I need colour wise when i need it.

    In the SB i replaced the Terminate with Pyroclasm because it is another
    wishable target along with a good board sweeper against things like WW and
    RDW mana accel things BoP, also good against the random Cephalid Illusionist
    (Angry Ghoul deck). I am considering some other change to the board to help
    deal with control and combo (Scepter Chant and Mind's Desire) matchups
    namely more discard options but i have to think about this for some time.

    If you want i can kinda make a run down and links to what i am expecting to
    find in the extended season and the reasons behind my card choices. let me
    know about this.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    On 2005-02-04, Darkwvlf <darkwvlf@isp.com> wrote:
    > Most of the popular decks this season should be creature based and I know
    > for a fact that this deck performs very well against creature based deck and
    > fairs pretty well against the other control decks.

    I see. That's a good one; I hadn't seen Haunting Echoes before. It would
    work well against my goblins, since I'd likely be tutoring different ones with
    the Matron.

    Pretty cool deck idea.

    In vino veritas
    http://openwine.net