Sign in with
Your question

Advice for Shuttle PC Graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2003 1:51:56 AM

I just bought a Shuttle SN41G2 case/mobo (nForce2, 1GB PC2700, 80GB Seagate, Lite-On combo drive). Also got a Connect3D Radeon 9600 Pro card with it. Therein lies my problem... I can't get any games to work with it, the whole system freezes (XP, DX 9, latest Catalyst drivers). Dxdiag works fine, reports no problems, but when I run a game, any game, the damn thing craps out on me!

So I've decided to send the Connect3D card back to Newegg. I need advice on a good graphics card that will work well in this system/case. I originally went with the Radeon 9600 Pro, because it had great price/performance and I'm kind of partial towards ATI cards (never had one problem with them before). I'd like to go with another Radeon, possibly an ATI branded one. I'll mainly be using this card for games. I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer, but that's mainly what I'll use this PC for.

Any ideas? ATI, Nvidia, Radeon, Geforce?

Thanks.
August 20, 2003 2:02:37 AM

GeForceFX 5800Ultra Leafblower Edition :smile:

I <b>help</b> because <b>you</b> suck.
August 20, 2003 4:25:59 AM

I have the Shuttle SN45G with a Connect3d 9600 Pro. I used to get heavy artifacts using the latest catalyst driver but now it works fine with the catalyst 3.4.
Related resources
August 21, 2003 2:39:32 AM

Well, I tried the 3.4 drivers and the 3.5 drivers. Neither worked. So I sent the card back to Newegg.com today. Now I just need to decide on what card to go with... ?
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2003 3:06:20 AM

Uh, perhaps a real computer? With a real power supply?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 21, 2003 4:31:27 AM

Quote:
Uh, perhaps a real computer?

Lol...He has an AMD/Nforce system with a gig of DDR memory, and your telling him to get a real computer?
I dont care if it is a SSF pc, it's better then what I remember you having by a freakin' mile....

<b>Play Raven Shield</b>
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2003 4:44:17 AM

Fat chance, I have a PCI Modem AND a PCI SCSI card! W00T a Pentium 1 is better than one of those crap boxes. And get this, a PCI sound card too! Oh, and my VGA cooler takes up 2 slots! Wow!

What a stupid response, I've given you too much credit. That's like if someone said they were going to pay $40k for a crappy car, me telling them they could get a good car for $20k, and then you saying "shut up, you drive a van".

In fact, I haven't seen the "it's better than what YOU have" arguement comming out of anyone older than a grade schooler!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 21, 2003 6:38:07 AM

Shut your pie hole Crash, you dont give anyone around here credit, and thats the problem. Like the guy who started this thread really needs to hear your dumb ass tell him he needs to buy a real pc...lame.
He already owns that PC, so your little analogy has zero relevance to whats happening here.
I tell you what, next time someone has a question about ancient VooDoo architecture, or wants to squeeze some performance out of a moldy tnt card, jump right in and give 'em a hand. That kinda crap is right up your alley.
Until then, do me a favor and stfu...
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2003 7:12:22 AM

Actually it has complete relavence to people haveing problems with their video cards not getting enough power, and their cubes comming with crappy fans.

People buy these things because they're popular. Like SUV's, etc. No good reason, they buy them on impulse. If they ever need their computers to do any serious work, or take any serious add-in hardware, they're SOL. Most don't realize that their needs will probably change before their system looses it's relavence. And every purchase of an inferior system is another nail in the coffin for standard architecture boards, etc., allong with MY future options. Remember the sports car? Mustang is a sedan now, the Camaro is gone. This is what such short sighted purchasing decisions do, they turn the market in a new direction which well eventually eliminate enthusiast choices.

Lest we forget that this is an enthusiast site! Wow, he would have had more upgrade options and a quieter system with a Dell, I don't see you complaining about people ripping on Dell.

It would be my sinceerest hope that these little bits of wisdom will influence at least the more educated consumer into buying something better over the long haul, instead of caving in to peer pressure over the latest fad. If you don't believe me about fads changing the shape of the market, you're a complete fool.

I'm not doing you any favors. All this time you had me fooled into thinking you were inteligent. Perhaps you spell better, or think I'm stupid for not taking time to use a spell checker. Or perhaps you think my P4 2.4B is too slow for a spell checker, or memory bandwidth bound by it's whimpy dual-channel PC1066. I'm not here to serve you, but the larger enthusiast community.

Good day!

August 21, 2003 7:48:04 AM

Quote:
Actually it has complete relavence to people haveing problems with their video cards not getting enough power, and their cubes comming with crappy fans.

Your right about the power draw needs not being fulfilled with SSF pc's crash, but he already bought the computer, you telling him to buy a real pc did nothing in the way of helping this guy.
Explaining to him that his cube has a low watt pos power supply, which is in effect causing him problems, would have probably helped.
Quote:
People buy these things because they're popular. Like SUV's, etc. No good reason, they buy them on impulse.

You dont really know <b>what</b> his reason were for buying a small form factor pc. Though most in fact <b>do</b> by them for asthetic reasons, he might actually be having a space problem where he lives. Maybe he's using it as a home theater pc?
Quote:
And every purchase of an inferior system is another nail in the coffin for standard architecture boards, etc.,

Your being paranoid...or overexuberant, one of the two...
Quote:
Lest we forget that this is an enthusiast site! Wow, he would have had more upgrade options and a quieter system with a Dell, I don't see you complaining about people ripping on Dell.

Crash, your still completely missing the fact that this guy <b>already owns this pc!</b>...what he could have, or should have done is irrelevant now!
Quote:
It would be my sinceerest hope that these little bits of wisdom will influence at least the more educated consumer into buying something better over the long haul, instead of caving in to peer pressure over the latest fad. If you don't believe me about fads changing the shape of the market, you're a complete fool.

You and I both know that you've helped alot of people on these boards crash. But not to long ago, some stranger started a thread here and had a problem with his system, you told him <b>not to listen to people here</b>, and proceeded to give him the only advice that should be taken seriously.....<b>yours</b>.
My respect for you has been gone since then. I used to admire you too, and you know I did.
Quote:
All this time you had me fooled into thinking you were inteligent.

You thought I was intelligent?....funny, it never showed!
Not one time have I ever seen you tell me, or another member here that they put a good post up. Or shown any sign of comeradery whatsoever. Maybe you just have zero personality, or you dont know how to act friendly to someone online...I dunno. I have been overly friendly to you here though, as have alot of people. Try giving back sometime.
Quote:
Perhaps you spell better, or think I'm stupid for not taking time to use a spell checker.

Where the hell did that come from?.....got some security issues? There's no way in hell I think your dumb crash(though you obviously believe I myself lack intelligence) if you've mispelled something before, I've never noticed. None of that shiiit matters to me anyways crash, it doesnt matter to anybody here.
We're just geeks posting on a tech forum. Nothing special about either one of us:) 

<b>Play Raven Shield</b>
August 21, 2003 7:50:47 AM

Phial, it says teen chat irc........I'm 34:) 

<b>Play Raven Shield</b>
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2003 8:38:30 AM

Quote:
You and I both know that you've helped alot of people on these boards crash. But not to long ago, some stranger started a thread here and had a problem with his system, you told him not to listen to people here, and proceeded to give him the only advice that should be taken seriously.....yours.

I've only done that concerning specific responses that I knew were misleading the questioner. I remember specifically when a guy was asking for a better video card for his "old" high end system and a large group of people tried to tell him that nothing newer would work, or that if it worked it wouldn't offer him a significant performance increase over his elderly card. This opinion was repeated by so many posters that I told the guy not to listen to any of them. There are many times when the majority sux.

You don't see me doing that on every post. You don't see me doing that on the majority of post. You only see me doing that when the answers I've seen are all misleading.

When a large group of responders is wrong, there is often one out of the whole group who's on the right track, and I often post "listen to this guy and forget what everyone else said" followed by a further explanation.

Congratulations on reading one of the few threads where EVERY response I read was misleading. You don't need to point me to it because I can think of 2 or 3 right off the top of my head.

You see, my opinion of SFF PC's is still an opinion. I have several facts to form my opinion, but it's not exclusive.

Some things ARE fact. Like, if you have a PIII 1000EB and a Rage 128, you WILL get FAR better performance upgrading to a GeForce 4 MX440, and it WILL work on older boards, and the difference in performance between AGP2x and AGP 4x WON'T be a huge detriment with such a card. THOSE are the kinds of post were a group of people will give false or misleading answers, and I'll tell the questioner that they are all wrong.

August 21, 2003 2:26:56 PM

GeneticWeapon, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for you, Crash. Your comments have been unhelpful and ignorant. A waste of bandwith really.

GW's right, you don't know my reasoning for buying a Shuttle. Before you spout off nonsense, why don't you ask some questions first? FYI, I do 95% of my work on a PowerMac G4, video production & such. I built this Shuttle system to play games on, as I don't have much desk space and I wasn't going to use it for much else. Therefor, I don't need a huge, hulking box. I also bought it because THG ran a review <http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030722/index.html&g...;, testing it with a Radeon 9700 Pro, which worked fine. I specifically bought the Radeon 9600 Pro, because I am aware of this system's limited power supply and I wanted a lower power card.

Thanks to those of you who offered help.

And Crash, before you start, spare me the anti-Mac rhetoric.
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2003 11:19:16 PM

Thanks, you probably drive an SUV and drink water for $1 bottles, so of course you'd reply like this. You were aware that a slim Micro ATX tower would take up less horizontal desk space and use standard parts, yet you bought this to save deskspace, proving you didn't inspect all options before your purchase.

Anyway, have a nice day.

a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2003 11:23:06 PM

Oh, I almost forgot about your ignorant remark. If you didn't know you could save more desktop space, get better performance, and avoid typical problems, by getting a thin tower Micro ATX case and appropriate parts...calling me ignorant is kind of silly, given the meaning of the word and the situation.

August 22, 2003 1:01:06 AM

I wasnt trying to turn this into a major arguement. I like shuttle pc's myself, but but I do not own one. Everyone has a right their own oppinion here.

<b>Play Raven Shield</b>
August 22, 2003 1:46:11 AM

A man is only as old as the woman he feels GW.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
!