New Winter Orb Combo

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

All,
I've heard that there's a new Winter Orb combo out there with the
release of Betrayers. What are the cards that are involved with this
soft lock?

Thanks in advance,
Leon

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Artifact Cost: 3
All permanents come into play tapped.

Legenadary Spirit Cost: 2WW
Players may untap only one land a turn. "not exact wording either."
p/t 2/2

"Tommy Luke" <KazuyaZero@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Artifact Cost: 3
> All permanents come into play tapped.
Yes, that's an Orb of Dreams.

> Legenadary Spirit Cost: 2WW
It's called Hokori, Dust Drinker.
> Players may untap only one land a turn. "not exact wording either."
> p/t 2/2
Lands do not untap during their controllers' untap steps.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player untaps a land he or
she controls.

I wouldn't call it "combo" - Hokori is not like Winter Orb, since you cannot
tap it (with Icy Manipulator, for example) during your opponent's end step
to "turn it off" and let your lands untap normally.
It does limit the opponent's options greatly - especially if you throw in
Nature's Will (not exactly easy due to its double-green and Hokori's
double-white mana cost).

On 2005-02-17, Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Tommy Luke" <KazuyaZero@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I wouldn't call it "combo" - Hokori is not like Winter Orb, since you cannot
> tap it (with Icy Manipulator, for example) during your opponent's end step
> to "turn it off" and let your lands untap normally.
> It does limit the opponent's options greatly - especially if you throw in
> Nature's Will (not exactly easy due to its double-green and Hokori's
> double-white mana cost).

Yeah, but there's so much good mana-fixing in green right now, that it's not
too much of a problem. Time of Need gets Hokori; the problem is finding and
getting out that enchantment before the combo can be setup.
Also, have to have a way to get a creature through.

All-in-all, I'd say it's about on par with getting shisato out long enough and
dealing damage to make a difference.

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

-I wouldn't call it "combo" - Hokori is not like Winter Orb, since you
cannot
-tap it (with Icy Manipulator, for example) during your opponent's end step
-to "turn it off" and let your lands untap normally.

?? even tought winter orb is tapped or not it still does not let you untap
more than one land

Mjolnir wrote:

> -I wouldn't call it "combo" - Hokori is not like Winter Orb, since
> you cannot
> -tap it (with Icy Manipulator, for example) during your opponent's end
> step -to "turn it off" and let your lands untap normally.
>
> ?? even tought winter orb is tapped or not it still does not let you untap
> more than one land

Winter Orb:
Artifact
As long as Winter Orb is untapped, players can't untap more than one land
during their untap step.

Sure sounds to me like you untap all your lands if the Orb is tapped.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Chris Mattern <matternc@comcast.net> sent:
> Mjolnir wrote:

>> -I wouldn't call it "combo" - Hokori is not like Winter Orb, since
>> you cannot
>> -tap it (with Icy Manipulator, for example) during your opponent's end
>> step -to "turn it off" and let your lands untap normally.
>>
>> ?? even tought winter orb is tapped or not it still does not let you untap
>> more than one land

> Winter Orb:
> Artifact
> As long as Winter Orb is untapped, players can't untap more than one land
> during their untap step.

> Sure sounds to me like you untap all your lands if the Orb is tapped.

Yup. Remember, when you're doing the untap action you first work out
from the current state, which things are going to be able to untap;
then, you untap all of those permanents at the same time. So, if you
have a tapped Winter Orb, it doesn't limit the lands you yourself can
untap, even though the very next thing that happens will cause there
to be such a limit.

--
-- zoe

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

i'm sorry folk i was looking at the card not the oracle text ! my bad !
cv703d$qc3$2@pump1.york.ac.uk...