My friend's extended Charbelcher deck.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

This is something my friend had me working on for a fun extended
tournament coming up. There are certain cards banned at this tournament
so ppl will play original decks.

The banned list:
Cursed Scroll
Mind's Desire
Living Wish
Aluren
Eladimir's Call
Reanimate
Counterspell
Vampiric Tutor
Goblin Warchief
Academy Rector
Jackal Pup
Wild Mongrel
Arc-bound Ravenger

So here's the decklist:

4 Land Grant
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Sakura Tribe-Elder
4 Rampant Growth
4 Kodoma's Reach
4 Eladimir's Vineyard
4 Fabricate
4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Chrome Mox
2 Sylvan Scrying
4 Intuition
4 Seething Song
4 Talisman of Impulse
4 Forest
1 Island
1 Mountain

six land belcher? So far so good. Opinions and ideas are appreciated.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

In news:29904-42153FE4-1303@storefull-3238.bay.webtv.net,
Tommy Luke <KazuyaZero@webtv.net> rambled:
> This is something my friend had me working on for a fun extended
> tournament coming up. There are certain cards banned at this
> tournament so ppl will play original decks.
>
> The banned list:
> Cursed Scroll
> Mind's Desire
> Living Wish
> Aluren
> Eladimir's Call
> Reanimate
> Counterspell
> Vampiric Tutor
> Goblin Warchief
> Academy Rector
> Jackal Pup
> Wild Mongrel
> Arc-bound Ravenger
>
> So here's the decklist:
>
> 4 Land Grant
> 4 Birds of Paradise
> 4 Llanowar Elves
> 4 Sakura Tribe-Elder
> 4 Rampant Growth
> 4 Kodoma's Reach
> 4 Eladimir's Vineyard
> 4 Fabricate
> 4 Goblin Charbelcher
> 4 Chrome Mox
> 2 Sylvan Scrying
> 4 Intuition
> 4 Seething Song
> 4 Talisman of Impulse
> 4 Forest
> 1 Island
> 1 Mountain
>
> six land belcher? So far so good. Opinions and ideas are appreciated.

Since you're in Blue, why not Mana Severance? This would allow you to play
more land, as well as cut out some of your land search. It will also allow
you to cut green as a color. Basically, you could turn this into a mono-Blue
deck (I'm going to splash red here for Welders). You can only run 4
Severances, but since you're running 4 copies of Intuition, you can think of
it as 8 Mana Severances (although you'll probably use the Intuitions for AKs
as well). And with Intuitions, you can run the Accumulated Knowledge draw
engine.

How about something along the lines of:

4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Chrome Mox
3 Mox Diamond

4 Brainstorm
4 Accumulated Knowledge
3 Intuition
3 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Careful Study
4 Mana Severance
4 Force of Will
4 Mana Leak
1 Mystical Tutor
4 Goblin Welder

2 Mountains
10 Islands
4 Bloodstained Mire

It's land light, only 16. So if, for some reason, you don't find a
Severance, you can still hit them over the course of 2 turns. It's a little
pricey in the fact that it has 4 Forces and 4 Welders, and you may not want
to go that route anyway. This is basically a totally different deck than
what you proposed, but this will allow for a turn 3 lethal Belch. (Turn 2,
technically, but unlikely)

Turn 1: Mox Diamond (discard land), Island. Tap Diamond for R, cast Welder.
Tap Island for U, cast Careful Study (drawing 2, so now you've seen 9 or 10
cards, depending on whether or not you played first), discarding Belcher and
a random card.
Turn 2: Land Mana Severance
Turn 3: Tap Mox Diamond for mana, Weld it out for Belcher, Belch for 40 or
so.

Of course, that's a really good hand. You've got lots of draw and enough
permission to survive the early game. This deck is not designed to last past
turn 5 or so. If the game goes that long, somebody's doing something wrong.
:)

I've run a deck similar to this in a local tournament, and I came in 2nd
(out of 17). Good luck!

--

KB

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I doubt I would ever try your build. "Actually my friends are laughing
at your version" lol. Seriously, you have a total different deck as the
Charbelchers are the only simular theme. Careful Study and Goblin
Welder? Where do you come up with this stuff? And Force of Will isn't
even legal! You have to have GOD hands to do want you want to do. Where
I try to win turn 4-5 80-90% of the time. See those banned cards. I
slows the environment down alot. And to top it all off. Why would I use
Mana Sev. for? I'm only running 6 lands?

Tommy Luke (KazuyaZero@webtv.net) wrote:
[...]

I've been playing a 7 land version online, with very good results.
The land are 5 forests, 1 mountain, 1 Windswept Heath.

Here's the rest, it's set up to be a Tribal Wars deck, 1/3 must
be from the same creature type:

4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 birds of paradise
4 llanowar elves
4 chrome mox

Cheap land search that shuffles
4 lay of the land
4 Wirewood Guardian
4 Elvish Aberration
4 Sakura Tribe-Elder

4 Eternal Witness Recovering from a disenchant or
for recycling land search.

4 Sensei's Divining Top Critical piece for searching.

4 Serum Powder Helps with mulligans to better hands, still
question it's usefulness

Rounding out the Tribal nature
4 Birchlore Rangers spot mana
4 wellwishers cheap, draws fire, first thing to go with Mox
1 elvish vanguard just rounding things out.

The deck occasionally will get out a guardian or aberration, but
that's not the goal. The only goal is to look at the top three
cards, and if the Charbelcher isn't there, go looking for
another land.

If you're not restricted by the tribal aspect and you're playing
paper, Land Grant is a great addition.

Eladimir's Vineyard sounds promising, but the acceleration it
gives your opponent is probably too dangerous.

Your goal is to lay a land a turn until you have but one left
while trying to find the Charbelcher.

Kodoma's Reach is too slow and can be countered, go with
forestcycling cards.

Heck, how about the Ice Age llanowar clone, Fyndhorn Elves?
But not in replace of any of the land search.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I took second at the tournament going 5-1 in swiss. This was my
decklist. Remember though that there was a huge banned list.

4 Firebolt
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Stone Rain
4 Molten Rain