DSL only works after restart

March 13, 2005 7:42:19 PM

A few days ago I contacted bellsouth due to slow connection speeds
which were abt half of normal.

I am running Windows 98. I got a real winner of a tech that took me
round the world, had me uncheck all the startup boxes except my
antivirus and now while I'm connecting at the normal speed of 1472000
bps I can't surf the net but
a few sites before the system seems to just quit!
I'm still connected, the pages just won't load. I think
that maybe that first tech had me change something that should not have
been.

The guy worked me into a corner, then just disconnected from me leaving
another tech to try and undo the damage. I got a really nice tech
next, but no real results and she said she really didn't know what the
other tech was doing and apparently neither did he as he had deleted
ALL of my internet connections for no apparent reason.

They are sending out a modem update on Monday, and that may be part of
the problem, but I can't help thinking that the 1st tech disabled or
enabled something that's making the system not perform correctly as I
went from connecting at 1/2 speed to full speed, but not operating.

Does anyone know something that I might check. I feel it might have
something to do with all of the boxes he had me "uncheck".

Suggestions?

More about : dsl works restart

March 13, 2005 10:59:57 PM

"mypet" <mypetandyours@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago I contacted bellsouth due to slow connection speeds
> which were abt half of normal.
>

> I am running Windows 98. I got a real winner of a tech that took me
> round the world, had me uncheck all the startup boxes except my
> antivirus and now while I'm connecting at the normal speed of 1472000
> bps I can't surf the net but
> a few sites before the system seems to just quit!
> I'm still connected, the pages just won't load. I think
> that maybe that first tech had me change something that should not have
> been.
>

> The guy worked me into a corner, then just disconnected from me leaving
> another tech to try and undo the damage. I got a really nice tech
> next, but no real results and she said she really didn't know what the
> other tech was doing and apparently neither did he as he had deleted
> ALL of my internet connections for no apparent reason.
>
> They are sending out a modem update on Monday, and that may be part of
> the problem, but I can't help thinking that the 1st tech disabled or
> enabled something that's making the system not perform correctly as I
> went from connecting at 1/2 speed to full speed, but not operating.
>

> Does anyone know something that I might check. I feel it might have
> something to do with all of the boxes he had me "uncheck".
>

> Suggestions?

Try posting your query here, since this is an XP newsgroup.