Error Loading OS

I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On installation,
the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the ATA as the only
drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't uninstall, but I
saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase the WD drive,
which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive. So I have
erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error Loading OS"
No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?
5 answers Last reply
More about error loading

    Clifton, If I read your post right, it sounds like you mistakenly erased
    your internal hard drive, which may have also been a western digital drive.
    Is that what happened? Pat

    "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
    >external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On
    >installation, the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the
    >ATA as the only drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't
    >uninstall, but I saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase
    >the WD drive, which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive.
    >So I have erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error
    > No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

    OOOOPS!

    "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
    >external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On
    >installation, the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the
    >ATA as the only drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't
    >uninstall, but I saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase
    >the WD drive, which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive.
    >So I have erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error
    > No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

    No Pat, I don't think so, but since I can't boot, I can't see what is there
    now. The WD drive became the boot drive and that is what got erased so I
    can't boot. The internal drive is a Seagate.
    "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > Clifton, If I read your post right, it sounds like you mistakenly erased
    > your internal hard drive, which may have also been a western digital
    > drive. Is that what happened? Pat
    >
    > "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
    >>external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On
    >>installation, the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the
    >>ATA as the only drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't
    >>uninstall, but I saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase
    >>the WD drive, which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive.
    >>So I have erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error
    >> No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

    Clifton wrote:
    Uninstall the Western Digital and see if that helps.

    > I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
    > external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On installation,
    > the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and the ATA as the only
    > drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and couldn't uninstall, but I
    > saw an opportunity in the partition/format area to erase the WD drive,
    > which I did not thinking that the WD was now the boot drive. So I have
    > erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I get message "Error Loading OS"
    > No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

    I could not uninstall the WD drive when I could still boot. I could
    uninstall in Device Manager, but it was still there when next booted. Now I
    can't boot, and disconnecting the drive from the computer does nothing.
    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Clifton wrote:
    > Uninstall the Western Digital and see if that helps.
    >

    >> I bought a case and a Western Digital internal hard drive to make an
    >> external backup. Dell 4300 on XP with Ultra ATA/100 drive. On
    >> installation, the WD drive showed in Device Manager as only drive, and
    >> the ATA as the only drive in My Computer. I wanted to start over and
    >> couldn't uninstall, but I saw an opportunity in the partition/format
    >> area to erase the WD drive, which I did not thinking that the WD was now
    >> the boot drive. So I have erased the boot drive, and now when I boot I
    >> get message "Error Loading OS"
    >> No help yet on either WD or Seagate site. Where else can I post or look?

Dell Western Digital Computers