R/G Legends--follow-up

hawkwind

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Greetings, All--

A while back, I posted a new deck idea I had for a R/G deck. Here's
the original list:

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Sakura Tribe-Elder
4x Viridian Shaman
4x Eternal Witness
4x Magma Jet
2x Fireball
2x Duplicant
4x Time of Need
3x Solemn Similacrum
1x Kumano, Master Yamabushi
1x Kodama of the North Tree
1x Jugan, the Rising Star
1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
1x Bosh
1x Glissa
1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

10x Mountain
10x Forest
1x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1x Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep

Sideboard
4x Troll Ascetic
1x Duplicant
1x Dosan, the Falling Leaf
4x Naturalize
4x Molten Rain
1x Furnace Dragon

After doing some heavy playtesting, and Betrayers coming out, I've done
some tweaking of the deck:

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Sakura Tribe-Elder
4x Viridian Shaman
4x Eternal Witness
4x Magma Jet
4x Stone Rain
2x Fireball
2x Duplicant
3x Time of Need
4x Solemn Similacrum
1x Kumano, Master Yamabushi
1x Kodama of the North Tree
1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1x Isao, Enlightened Bushi
1x Iwasari (sp?) of the Open Fist

7x Mountain
11x Forest
1x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1x Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep

Sideboard
4x Troll Ascetic
4x Sowing Salt
3x Naturalize
1x Dosan, the Falling Leaf
1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
1x Duplicant
1x Glissa Sunseeker

The first thing I noticed was that Tooth & Nail ripped the original
build a new one. So in went the Stone Rains. It helped, but still
lost more than 50% of the time. Throw Sowing Salt in, though, and it's
a whole new game. Stone Rains also help with blue control, and I've
even managed a couple of times to get a soft lock going with Eternal
Witness, Kiki-Jiki, and a Stone Rain. Also, an opening hand of Forest,
Bird, 2nd Land, and Stone Rain is just awesome.

The other thing I noticed was originally, I had way too many lands.
And sometimes, I'd get flooded with Mountains. So that got adjusted,
and works *much* better. To help compensate, an extra Simulacrum got
added.

Finally, I realized that I was just throwing in legends to throw in
legends. Glissa got moved to the sideboard, along with Ryusei. Mainly
because Ryusei kills way too many of my own guys (including Kodama of
the North Tree). He comes in versus aggro decks, though. Bosh and
Jugan both got the axe, just for being too damned unwieldly. However,
Isao is surprisingly good for the deck, and Iwasari isn't bad either
(except when you drop him third turn and have your opponent drop Yosei
or Kukusho.)

And the end result, right now, is a surprisingly versatile deck. In
playtesting, it can handle most things thrown at it. Some things are
worse than others (mono-black control and UG control, for example) but
even with its worst matchups, it doesn't just lay down. And plus,
that's what sideboarding is for.

Now I'm getting ready to update the deck for after the bannings. As it
stands, Affinity generally loses to this build, but come March 20th,
that won't matter. So the Troll Ascetics will replace the Shamans
maindeck, and an extra Naturalize will get into the sideboard. Glissa
will go away entirely.

Now I'm wondering what else to do or sideboard. I'm thinking Zo-Zu
against mana-acceleration decks, or Ishy-Ishy against spirit- or
arcane-based decks. Would there be any other legends that I'm missing
that may become good after the bannings?

Also, the other thing I'm pondering is to replace Time of Need with
Commune with Nature or Enshrined Memories. It may change up the basic
idea a little, but I'm thinking it will make the deck work better
overall.

Well, thanks for reading this long post, and please give me any ideas
you can. I'd like to take this deck to Regionals this year. Yeah, it's
probably not the best deck out there, but it's just a whole heck of a
lot of fun to play. Not to mention having a huge rogue factor that I
like. Any time a janky deck idea of mine can even remotely compete
with the big boys, I'm a happy man.

Thanks.

Scott

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Here's a R/G/U legend build I made awhile back.

4 Sakura Tribe-Elder
4 Kodoma's Reach
4 Magma Jet
4 Reap and Sow
4 Eternal Witness
4 Solemn Simulacrum
3 Fireball
3 Time of Need
2 Kumano
1 Meloku
1 Kegia
1 Jugan
1 Kikki-Jikki
1 Rude Awakening
12 Forest
8 Moutain
2 Island
1 Mirrodin's Core

This is a post Affinity bannings decklist.

Sideboard

4 Naturalize
4 Stone Rain
3 Sowing Salt