Myr Landshaper + Splinter

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

My nephew is putting together a deck using Myr Landshaper to turn land
into artifacts until end of turn, then play a Splinter to remove that
artifact from the game, then search that player's library, hand and
graveyard and remove them.

Any other cards that would work well to get this combo into play? Any
other cards that would work well to get the splinter back (ie: Revive)
to play again?

Thanks for the help,

Bill

clayton

"Bill Jones" <billjones@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> My nephew is putting together a deck using Myr Landshaper to turn land
> into artifacts until end of turn, then play a Splinter to remove that
> artifact from the game, then search that player's library, hand and
> graveyard and remove them.
>
> Any other cards that would work well to get this combo into play? Any
> other cards that would work well to get the splinter back (ie: Revive)
> to play again?

Hmm, Let's see ...
Red has Anarchist to return sorceries (which includes Splinter)

Green can use Eternal Witness, Elven Cache, and a few others.

Blue has options that I don't know the names of.

If you have a way to shuffle or manipulate your library, then something
like Reito Lantern could be used to put used Splinters on the bottom
of your library.

You'll also most likely need to protect the Landshaper since it is only
a 1/1 creature and therefore easy to kill. Even easier as as an artifact
creature, it is just as vulnerable to the Splinters your nephew want to
throw at their metalized lands.

> Thanks for the help,

No problem

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
Technicolour!

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

if you want to keep in block and maximise the chances of killing all
there land go with the eradicate + soil shaper combo, sure that makes
you 2 colors, but thats all good.

On 2005-03-19, Clayton <redneckdadd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Bill Jones" <billjones@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> My nephew is putting together a deck using Myr Landshaper to turn land
>> into artifacts until end of turn, then play a Splinter to remove that
>
> Red has Anarchist to return sorceries (which includes Splinter)

It also has Burning wish. You could put one of the Sorceries in your
sideboard (or carry it w/ you if playing casual) and just tutor it.

In vino veritas

RisseR

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

See, I think that you wouldn't have much to worry about if nobody knew
about the deck. Who'd bother sending damage at a landshaper? And,
once you did the dirty deed, you're pretty much guaranteed a
concession... Except maybe against a 5-color deck or something.

Meanwhile, you could disguise it as an affinity deck, or maybe an
Arcbound deck. Then you could use these basic creatures to beatdown
against the poor land-starved bastard playing against you.

For protection, Lightning Greaves is cheap and makes him untargetable.
He's still prone to board-sweepers, so maybe throw in Myr Retriever to
pull him back out if needed (and one of your other creatures if not).

But I think you could get this combo off easy... The first game. The
second game would be a lot harder.

Peter

Risser wrote:

> Meanwhile, you could disguise it as an affinity deck, or maybe an Arcbound
> deck. Then you could use these basic creatures to beatdown against the
> poor land-starved bastard playing against you.

Another option would be to make a land destruction deck that includes the
combo, perhaps with Zo-Zu the Punisher to make your opponent reluctant to
play lands.

> For protection, Lightning Greaves is cheap and makes him untargetable.
> He's still prone to board-sweepers, so maybe throw in Myr Retriever to
> pull him back out if needed (and one of your other creatures if not).

Welding Jar might be useful for that purpose, especially with the combo in
Affinity's clothing idea.

--
Exatron
"I don't break rules, I bend them -a lot." - Sideswipe

The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Also, you could make the deck B/G and include eradicate and Lifespark
Spellbomb. Or even some spirit/arcane and soilshaper. This would give you a
number of ways to get rid of their land.
A further, less elegant way would be to enchant one of their lands with a
genju, activate, and then eradicate.

Multiple ways of doing what you are trying are always desirable.

In vino veritas

clayton

"Kevin" <ktneely@no.spam.astroturfgarden.com> wrote in message

> Also, you could make the deck B/G and include eradicate and Lifespark
> Spellbomb. Or even some spirit/arcane and soilshaper. This would give you a
> number of ways to get rid of their land.
> A further, less elegant way would be to enchant one of their lands with a
> genju, activate, and then eradicate.
>
> Multiple ways of doing what you are trying are always desirable.

Sage advice.

I like this idea in evilness myself and plan on making a variation of it in
U/G/b. Landshapers and Transmuters making stuff into artifacts and
Splinter/Naturalize to take care of it. Plus blue provides a bit of countering
backup in Quash to banish pesky instants and sorceries from the game as
well ... that and other counters.

I have also thought of stealing the deck disassembly idea from the magic
site and using the otherwise unweildly Sway of the Stars for a big reset
button. Especially insulting after you nuke over half their land away before
resetting the world -- a hand full of good stuff and only 4 lands in the deck.
Oops.

Actually I could use some help in tweaking the deck's contents. Gratuetous
stealing from multiple fronts has led me to a deck that looks a bit like this:

Land (24)
8 Forest
8 Island
2 Swamp
2 Waterveil Cavern
3 Mirrodin's Core
1 City of Brass

Creatures (12)
4 Sakura Tribe Elder
4 Neurok Transmuter
3 Myr Landshaper
1 Glissa Sunseeker

Other Stuff (24)
4 Splinter
3 Lobotomy
2 Quash
3 Scrabbling Claws
3 Sway of the Stars
4 Kodama's Reach
3 Naturalize
2 Hinder

Basically you turn stuff to artifacts and blow them out of the game.
The 4 counters are for protection in case of a nasty spell you don't
want to see hit the light of day. I have yet to see if this will be one
of those super-annoying decks or if it'll just flounder but it should
be fun! And I like fun, though I might get lynched if I go after the
basic lands. *shrug*

Have no idea for a sideboard though. Should probably include
Crystal Shard for some reusable bounce. Oh and I don't own
Cranial Extraction otherwise I would probably use it instead
of Lobotomy. Any other sideboard ideas?

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART

Clayton wrote:
> "Kevin" <ktneely@no.spam.astroturfgarden.com> wrote in message
>
>>Also, you could make the deck B/G and include eradicate and Lifespark
>>Spellbomb. Or even some spirit/arcane and soilshaper. This would give you a
>>number of ways to get rid of their land.
>>A further, less elegant way would be to enchant one of their lands with a
>>genju, activate, and then eradicate.
>>
>>Multiple ways of doing what you are trying are always desirable.
>

> Sage advice.
>
> I like this idea in evilness myself and plan on making a variation of it in
> U/G/b. Landshapers and Transmuters making stuff into artifacts and
> Splinter/Naturalize to take care of it. Plus blue provides a bit of countering
> backup in Quash to banish pesky instants and sorceries from the game as
> well ... that and other counters.
>
> I have also thought of stealing the deck disassembly idea from the magic
> site and using the otherwise unweildly Sway of the Stars for a big reset
> button. Especially insulting after you nuke over half their land away before
> resetting the world -- a hand full of good stuff and only 4 lands in the deck.
> Oops.
>
> Actually I could use some help in tweaking the deck's contents. Gratuetous
> stealing from multiple fronts has led me to a deck that looks a bit like this:
>
> Land (24)
> 8 Forest
> 8 Island
> 2 Swamp
> 2 Waterveil Cavern
> 3 Mirrodin's Core
> 1 City of Brass
>
> Creatures (12)
> 4 Sakura Tribe Elder
> 4 Neurok Transmuter
> 3 Myr Landshaper
> 1 Glissa Sunseeker
>
> Other Stuff (24)
> 4 Splinter
> 3 Lobotomy
> 2 Quash
> 3 Scrabbling Claws
> 3 Sway of the Stars
> 4 Kodama's Reach
> 3 Naturalize
> 2 Hinder
>
> Basically you turn stuff to artifacts and blow them out of the game.
> The 4 counters are for protection in case of a nasty spell you don't
> want to see hit the light of day. I have yet to see if this will be one
> of those super-annoying decks or if it'll just flounder but it should
> be fun! And I like fun, though I might get lynched if I go after the
> basic lands. *shrug*
>
> Have no idea for a sideboard though. Should probably include
> Crystal Shard for some reusable bounce. Oh and I don't own
> Cranial Extraction otherwise I would probably use it instead
> of Lobotomy. Any other sideboard ideas?
>
> -------
> Clayton
>
> Random Tagline:
> We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART

Thanks to everyone for their input so far regarding the Myr
Landshaper+Splinter for mass land removal. My nephew has been using a
Green/Black build, which, in part, includes Eradicate and Petalmane
Baku, along with Kodama's Reach. Sadly he has had limited success with
the deck. I will try to get his deck list and post here to give
everyone an idea of what he's using. Personally, I think he needs
DIABOLIC TUTOR or something similar to get the cards in hand.

As a word of warning, he did playtesting with it against a red deck
(mostly burn) & finished the land removal combo too late. His
"opponent" tabled 6 or so land, had to remove all the land from the deck
which left...a burn spell draw EVERY SINGLE TURN.

He said it wasn't pretty, but I think it's quite an idea for one to use
on their own deck: Eradicate or Splinter your own land once you get
enough, then rip through your remaining cards. Very tough to pull off
against an opponent, but you might be able to do it to yourself.

And, as a note about turning things into artifacts and destroying them,
he got this idea from a blue/red deck that I created, using NEUROK
TRANSMUTER to turn creatures into artifacts and blasting them away with
things like DETONATE or SHATTER. I used WALL OF STONE for early game
blockers and GRAB THE REIGNS to steal and sacrifice the opponent's
critters. Now, I don't have MEMNARCH, and I didn't use MYR LANDSHAPER,
but it was a pretty good deck to pull out and confuse someone with.

Thanks again, all.

-wj

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:34:45 GMT, Bill Jones <billjones@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>As a word of warning, he did playtesting with it against a red deck
>(mostly burn) & finished the land removal combo too late. His
>"opponent" tabled 6 or so land, had to remove all the land from the deck
>which left...a burn spell draw EVERY SINGLE TURN.
>
>He said it wasn't pretty, but I think it's quite an idea for one to use
>on their own deck: Eradicate or Splinter your own land once you get
>enough, then rip through your remaining cards. Very tough to pull off
>against an opponent, but you might be able to do it to yourself.

Nevi's Disk.

Jasper