Tim

A friend just got a new Dell 2400. I'm impressed with its short boot-up
time. Does Dell use a special type of optimization to achieve faster boot
times? TIA

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend just got a new Dell 2400. I'm impressed with its short boot-up
>time. Does Dell use a special type of optimization to achieve faster boot
>times? TIA

No

New computers always seem to boot quickly compared to older computers. But add
a lot of software, install some printer or other software that leaves programs
memory resident, clutter up the %TEMP% folder with a lot of junk files, stir in
some spyware, and suddenly boot time doesn't look as good. Remedy? Regular
software maintenance... Ben Myers

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:10:24 -0500, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A friend just got a new Dell 2400. I'm impressed with its short boot-up
>time. Does Dell use a special type of optimization to achieve faster boot
>times? TIA

Tim

> New computers always seem to boot quickly compared to older computers.
> But add
> a lot of software, install some printer or other software that leaves
> programs
> memory resident, clutter up the %TEMP% folder with a lot of junk files,
> stir in
> some spyware, and suddenly boot time doesn't look as good. Remedy?
> Regular
> software maintenance... Ben Myers

Thanks for your reply. I recall MS offering something called "Fast Boot
Technology" and partnered it with companies such as Dell. This was back for
Windows ME. ...

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/May00/DellFastPR.asp

Whatever happened to this "technology"? Is it still offered?

I think fast boot technology drifted off into the vapor, because nobody could
ever describe what it really did.

My rule of thumb is that the more icons on the desktop, the more icons in the
taskbar, and the more complicated the Start->Programs menu tree is, the slower
the system boots. Sometimes a little cleanup of unused icons and uninstallation
of unused software goes a very long way. So do disk defrags, utility programs
that clear junk out of the registry and defrag both registry and swap files.
The normal run of the mill defrag does not and cannot touch the registry and
swap file... Ben Myers

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:02:15 -0500, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> New computers always seem to boot quickly compared to older computers.
>> But add
>> a lot of software, install some printer or other software that leaves
>> programs
>> memory resident, clutter up the %TEMP% folder with a lot of junk files,
>> stir in
>> some spyware, and suddenly boot time doesn't look as good. Remedy?
>> Regular
>> software maintenance... Ben Myers
>>

>Thanks for your reply. I recall MS offering something called "Fast Boot
>Technology" and partnered it with companies such as Dell. This was back for
>Windows ME. ...
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/May00/DellFastPR.asp
>
>Whatever happened to this "technology"? Is it still offered?

My 4600 boots pretty fast too. The fastest boot I've seen and I love
it.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> ha scritto nel messaggio
Sometimes a little cleanup of unused icons and uninstallation
> of unused software goes a very long way. So do disk defrags, utility
> programs
> that clear junk out of the registry and defrag both registry and swap
> files.

Any recommendations for programs to achieve the above?
TIA

Al

I have used Easy Cleaner with some success and a some caution... Ben Myers