How Do I Install a Sound Device

March 14, 2005 12:35:07 AM

I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.

Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".

Thanks for your help.

Doug

More about : install sound device

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:33:35 AM

Probably a loose card in it's MoBo slot

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66FC7C4D-9881-4051-923D-E2F205F987F5@microsoft.com...
>I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
> problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
> a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
>
> Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Doug
March 14, 2005 11:22:23 AM

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
> problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see
> in
> a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
>
> Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Doug

If you are sure about having the drivers installed, is your volume control
muted, or a specific device muted in the volume properties? Are your
speakers plugged in properly, and recognized?
March 14, 2005 10:01:02 PM

Don't mean to sound dumb, but if the sound card is not being recognized I
would likely get a "No sound device installed" status?

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Probably a loose card in it's MoBo slot
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66FC7C4D-9881-4051-923D-E2F205F987F5@microsoft.com...
> >I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
> > problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
> > a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
> >
> > Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Doug

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:15:26 AM

Device Manager (start/run, type DEVMGMT.MSC) will see any attached device, driver present or not.

In the 'bad old Dos' days, the bios went thru this long loop, finding devices, and allocating IRQ's, round and round in a circle
till done. Today's OS, XP, fires out the long line of drivers, all in a string. This requires a different driver from the old 'VXD'
days, and often dev mgr will report 'no driver present'. As I understand your post, this is not your case, and it's not just the
driver, it's the device itself, not reporting it's presence to the BIOS during boot. This would imply a bad card, or bad connection
to the MoBo.

--

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFE000E0-0BA4-4C02-B16E-8B28F986278C@microsoft.com...
> Don't mean to sound dumb, but if the sound card is not being recognized I
> would likely get a "No sound device installed" status?
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Probably a loose card in it's MoBo slot
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66FC7C4D-9881-4051-923D-E2F205F987F5@microsoft.com...
>> >I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
>> > problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
>> > a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
>> >
>> > Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > Doug

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:21:02 PM

I was told I have to go to my sound device and reinstall the program to
download my sound device
!