How Do I Install a Sound Device

I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.

Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".

Thanks for your help.

Doug
5 answers Last reply
More about install sound device

    Probably a loose card in it's MoBo slot

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66FC7C4D-9881-4051-923D-E2F205F987F5@microsoft.com...
    >I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
    > problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
    > a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
    >
    > Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Doug

    "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
    > problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see
    > in
    > a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
    >
    > Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Doug

    If you are sure about having the drivers installed, is your volume control
    muted, or a specific device muted in the volume properties? Are your
    speakers plugged in properly, and recognized?

    Don't mean to sound dumb, but if the sound card is not being recognized I
    would likely get a "No sound device installed" status?

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Probably a loose card in it's MoBo slot
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66FC7C4D-9881-4051-923D-E2F205F987F5@microsoft.com...
    > >I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
    > > problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
    > > a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
    > >
    > > Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Doug

    Device Manager (start/run, type DEVMGMT.MSC) will see any attached device, driver present or not.

    In the 'bad old Dos' days, the bios went thru this long loop, finding devices, and allocating IRQ's, round and round in a circle
    till done. Today's OS, XP, fires out the long line of drivers, all in a string. This requires a different driver from the old 'VXD'
    days, and often dev mgr will report 'no driver present'. As I understand your post, this is not your case, and it's not just the
    driver, it's the device itself, not reporting it's presence to the BIOS during boot. This would imply a bad card, or bad connection
    to the MoBo.

    --

    "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFE000E0-0BA4-4C02-B16E-8B28F986278C@microsoft.com...
    > Don't mean to sound dumb, but if the sound card is not being recognized I
    > would likely get a "No sound device installed" status?
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Probably a loose card in it's MoBo slot
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66FC7C4D-9881-4051-923D-E2F205F987F5@microsoft.com...
    >> >I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. I do not appear to have a driver
    >> > problem (which I have fixed before), but rather a device problem. I see in
    >> > a device properties window that I do not have a sound device installed.
    >> >
    >> > Question: How do I find and install a "Sound Device".
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help.
    >> >
    >> > Doug

    I was told I have to go to my sound device and reinstall the program to
    download my sound device

Support Microsoft Devices Windows XP