9800pro death

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I've barely had the thing for a month and then all of a sudden my system becomes completely unstable. While trying to fix the problem today I noticed artifacts suddenly appearing out of nowhere and removing the side of my case found that the fan on the card is no longer moving. It is so no longer moving that attempting to spin the fan manually doesn't move the fan, but caused the entire heat sink to shift on the surface of the card. Now I get to see if sapphire is nice to deal with or not. *sigh* back to the ol' reliable g-force 3.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
go get urself a FX5900 instead ;)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
could be power supply?

<font color=blue>
<i>COMPUTERS</i> need <b>UPGRADES</b>; <i>UPGRADES</i> need <b>MONEY</b>,
"but" <b>MONEY</b> - heck, <i>it's no easy task. :eek: </i>
</font color=blue>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
better deal:
a GeforceFX 5600 Ultra 128mb
or Ati Radeon9600 pro 128mb.

<font color=blue>
<i>COMPUTERS</i> need <b>UPGRADES</b>; <i>UPGRADES</i> need <b>MONEY</b>,
"but" <b>MONEY</b> - heck, <i>it's no easy task. :eek: </i>
</font color=blue>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya bandikoot;

if the heat didnt permanantly damage the card just replace the HSF, dont RMA the card just because the Fan went out that doesnt make sense, its costs you just as much to RMA the card as it does to replace the HSF.

<font color=blue> <b> <Capt Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a warp 5 engine!
<Trip> Yeah, on paper! </b> </font color=blue>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Make sure you tell them that you didn't damage it and they should replace it no problem.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

MaxxxRacer

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Daddywags is right. If the fan went out for no reason its not ur fault, and besides if it did go out, getting a new hsf will not fix the problem. the core is probably dammaged now. You can try to put a fan pointed at the hsf and see if it makes it so that the artifacts go away when u put the hsf back in the right place (you said it shifted) but i doubt it.

System: XP2600 oced to 2.4GHZ, 512mb corsair pc2700 oced to 192mhz x2, 36Gb 10k rpm WD SATA, 80GB Western Digital A7N8X Deluxe, Radeon 9800 pro

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Nope, I think I’ll stay away from the fx line for the moment. My power supply is good. And while I did think about replacing the HSF, I decided to wait and see what they said. Since the fan isn’t my fault I hope it will be as simple as me shipping the dead card to them and them sending a new one back. Should they end up being evil I suppose I’ll have to try to install a new one and see if it was irreversibly damaged. If they are bastards I will try my best to get “Don’t buy from the evil sapphire” put into the FAQ for all to see.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Actually Sapphire is known to be pretty reliable; but no manufacturer can prevent a bad unit every now and then.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I realize this, and their reliability is one of the reasons that I purchased from them. Still it's never fun when you're the "lucky" one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
nVidia doesn't make cards :smile:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And which one can you garuntee has a higher quality fan?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why would he want to by a midpriced card when he already owns a superior card? Why not just replace the fan?