Badger Deck

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

My local group plays mostly multiplayer anything goes.
I'm thinking of putting together a badger theme deck.
Oracle lists these:

Giant Badger
1GG
Creature - Badger
2/2
Whenever Giant Badger blocks, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Rock Badger
4R
Creature - Beast
3/3
Mountainwalk

Rysorian Badger
2G
Creature - Badger
2/2
Whenever Rysorian Badger attacks and isn't blocked, you may remove up
to two target creature cards in defending player's graveyard from the
game. If you do, you gain 1 life for each card removed this way and
Rysorian Badger deals no combat damage this turn.

So it looks like Red-Green. Although with green in there, it could
stand another colour as well.

Are there any other cards that would fit a badger theme deck? Artwork,
flavour text - anything really.

Any thoughts on how a playable deck might shape up based around those
three creatures?

Thanks for any advice - I'm stumped. The best I managed was to run
millstone to combo with the Rysorian Badger.

Cheers
Phil.
20 answers Last reply
More about badger deck
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk wrote:

    > Are there any other cards that would fit a badger theme deck? Artwork,
    > flavour text - anything really.

    Thallids are about as close as you can come to mushrooms in Magic; there
    are lots of snakes to choose from...

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger..."
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Chris Mattern" <matternc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk wrote:
    >

    >> Are there any other cards that would fit a badger theme deck? Artwork,
    >> flavour text - anything really.
    >
    > Thallids are about as close as you can come to mushrooms in Magic; there
    > are lots of snakes to choose from...

    Is it badgers vs mongeese I'm thinking of?

    Erich
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Erich Leibrock <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> sent:
    > "Chris Mattern" <matternc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk wrote:
    >>

    >>> Are there any other cards that would fit a badger theme deck? Artwork,
    >>> flavour text - anything really.
    >>
    >> Thallids are about as close as you can come to mushrooms in Magic; there
    >> are lots of snakes to choose from...

    > Is it badgers vs mongeese I'm thinking of?

    Cobra vs. Mongoose? Hmm, I should try to make a Shonen Knife themed
    deck at some point.

    --
    -- zoe
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    To summon a deamon called Erich Leibrock you must know the following
    incantation:

    >>> Are there any other cards that would fit a badger theme deck? Artwork,
    >>> flavour text - anything really.
    >> Thallids are about as close as you can come to mushrooms in Magic; there
    >> are lots of snakes to choose from...
    > Is it badgers vs mongeese I'm thinking of?

    nope, they aren't :)
    try http://badgerbadgerbadger.com :)

    watman (beware! life will never be the same again! :] )
    --
    Mateusz "Watman" Wata | http://poggadali.blox.pl
    How to contact me: http://republika.pl/watman/kontakt.html

    Chris Mattern <matternc@comcast.net> wrote:
    >phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk wrote:
    >> Are there any other cards that would fit a badger theme deck? Artwork,
    >> flavour text - anything really.
    >
    >Thallids are about as close as you can come to mushrooms in Magic; there
    >are lots of snakes to choose from...

    And of course there are a couple of Diggers available.

    Dave "we have toads, and boats, but not moles; we have lions and witches,
    but not wardrobes as such" DeLaney
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    "Zoe Stephenson" <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote in message
    > Erich Leibrock <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> sent:
    >> "Chris Mattern" <matternc@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >>> Thallids are about as close as you can come to mushrooms in Magic; there
    >>> are lots of snakes to choose from...
    >
    >> Is it badgers vs mongeese I'm thinking of?
    >
    > Cobra vs. Mongoose? Hmm, I should try to make a Shonen Knife themed
    > deck at some point.

    That was it. I remember looking up Snakes in Oracle (the laptop I was on
    wasn't powerful enough to run Apprentice, so I had to manage with
    Notepad/WordPad + Oracle) and found a lot of Cobras. And I remember two
    Mongeese off the top of my head - Blurred and Nimble - so that's always
    another deck idea. My favourite casual deck, though, was when I went through
    Inquest and made what I called my One-Star deck. (Inquest rated - do they
    still? - all the cards from one to five stars, one being the worst, five
    being the best, and basic lands getting no rating because of their
    necessity.) I took all the cards I could find that I had which were rated
    one star, and made a deck out of them. The only problem I had was I misread
    and misunderstood how Icatian Moneychanger; I thought you could get your
    'credits' back at any time.

    At any rate.. According to Apprentice, the only cards that list the word
    'badger' in either name, Oracle text or flavour text are the three you
    mentioned (Rysorian, Giant, and Rock). Of course, you might be able to
    weasel in a way to splash Blue so you can badger your opponent.. Memory
    Lapse on Isochron Scepter might fit :)

    Erich
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Thanks for all the replies.
    I may have to go with the mushroom/snake idea, although my playgroup
    discovered the joys of badgers via another route to
    bagerbadgerbadger.com, so a pure badger deck would be cool.

    I came up with adding:
    Burrowing
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted creature has mountainwalk.

    Since badgers do indeed burrow and one of them already has
    mountainwalk.

    Without snakes, I'm still a bit stumped - I'll go look up diggers.
    Any more thoughts?

    Phil.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    I'm sold on the snakes - ophidian is a snake, so I can pop burrowing on
    him and mountainwalk to glory.

    Its a shame that there isn't a better use for the Rysorian Badger.

    The ophidian and Rock Badger will mountain walk for damage and cards.
    The Giant badger is a huge blocker.

    Probably some mystic compass to make sure theres a handy mountain.
    Some green mana fixers, I'll probably use spells rather than elves -
    badgers don't like elves.

    I'm very tempted to go for (especially if I've got some ophidian card
    drawing action going on):

    Endless Swarm
    5GGG
    Sorcery
    Put a 1/1 green Snake creature token into play for each card in your
    hand.
    Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't play spells. At the beginning
    of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability.)

    It seems to have a weakness to flyers. I'm reluctant to put in any
    direct damage - its not very badger like.

    Thanks to all those who chipped in - it seems I have the bones of a
    deck.

    Phil.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

    > but not wardrobes as such

    Outside of Unglued.
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net

    Daniel W. Johnson <panoptes@iquest.net> wrote:
    >David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
    >> but not wardrobes as such
    >
    >Outside of Unglued.

    Well, technically that Wardrobe was a Sorcery (not even a Sorcery - Arcane).
    So something searching for a "Wardrobe" won't find it, though something looking
    for a card with Wardrobe in the name would.

    Dave "we don't seem to have a lamppost or lightpost, though we do have a
    Keeper of the Light" DeLaney
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    How about blood moon to turn their nonbasic lands into mountains?
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    > How about blood moon to turn their nonbasic lands into mountains?

    Good call.
    I looked at it, and then rejected it for not being badgery enough. But
    reading your post made me think that badgers do indeed come out at
    night, and these are very bloodthirsty badgers, so it fits right in.

    I had a look for any other 'night' cards, but none really spoke to me,
    execpt black ones, and I'm mostly settled on RGB.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Phil.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    Here it is, then, in all its Badgery glory:

    Badgers:

    4x Giant badger (1GG)
    4x Rock Badger (4R)
    4x Rysorian Badger(2G)

    Snakes:

    3x Mystic Snake (1GUU)
    3x Voracious Cobra (2RG)
    4x Ophidian (2U)
    2x River Boa (1G)

    Other:

    3x Burrowing
    1x Tooth and Nail (5GG + 2 entwine)
    2x Canopy Claws (G)
    2x Blood Moon (2R)
    2x Mystic Compass (2)
    2x Primative Justice (1R) + (1G/1R)

    4 mana fixers (either harrow or rampant growth)

    20 lands

    I think there may not be enough lands going on here. I was hoping to
    get the ophidian drawing cards quickly, but it may just choke for lack
    of mana.
    The tooth and nail fits thematically, but I'm not sure its justified
    here.
    I love the interaction between the voracious cobra and the canopy
    claws. And the threat of canopy claws sitting in the graveyard
    threatening flyers.
    Mystic snake is simply a must have in this deck. Anybody who has
    visited badgerbadgerbadger.com will understand the attraction of
    shouting "ohh, a snake - a SNAKE" just as your opponent trys to play
    his killer spell. (At least, the first time).

    I find myself loath to remove any badgers, but that may be the best
    thing here.

    What do you think?

    Cheers
    Phil.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk <phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk> wrote:
    >Here it is, then, in all its Badgery glory:
    >
    >Badgers:
    >
    >4x Giant badger (1GG) >4x Rock Badger (4R) >4x Rysorian Badger(2G)
    >
    >Snakes:
    >
    >3x Mystic Snake (1GUU) >3x Voracious Cobra (2RG) >4x Ophidian (2U)
    >2x River Boa (1G)
    >
    >Other:
    >
    >3x Burrowing >1x Tooth and Nail (5GG + 2 entwine) >2x Canopy Claws (G)
    >2x Blood Moon (2R) >2x Mystic Compass (2) >2x Primative Justice (1R) + (1G/1R)
    >4 mana fixers (either harrow or rampant growth)
    >
    >20 lands
    >
    >Mystic snake is simply a must have in this deck. Anybody who has
    >visited badgerbadgerbadger.com will understand the attraction of
    >shouting "ohh, a snake - a SNAKE" just as your opponent trys to play
    >his killer spell. (At least, the first time).

    Have you considered either Fungusaur or Sporogenesis? (The Thallids are also
    Funguses but sorta need a lot of them to work well together.)

    Dave
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    You are right - both would fit themeatically.
    Fungudaur seems over expensive for a 2/2 if you have no way to damage
    it yourself. Fist time it gets in a fight it'll probably get killed.
    I'm not sure about the sporogenesis. Where would you put the counters?
    On your opponents creatures? Or pile them on an obvious target like
    the voracious cobra.
    I'm not against it, as such, I just wonder if you suggested it purely
    for the mushroom contingent o if theres a cool strategy I'm missing.

    I did find, and like:
    Fungal Shambler
    4GUB
    Creature - Beast
    6/4
    Trample
    Whenever Fungal Shambler deals damage to an opponent, you draw a card
    and that opponent discards a card.

    With the only downside being the B in his casting. I don't know if I
    can afford to go to four colours, especially with my own blood moon
    stopping me using non basic lands.

    Still, he is cool for a mushroom!

    On an unrelated note - is it ok for me to wittering on about my deck
    here? Its really helping the process, but I hope people will say if
    you all get bored with the badgers.

    Phil.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk sent:
    > I did find, and like:
    > Fungal Shambler
    > 4GUB
    > Creature - Beast
    > 6/4
    > Trample
    > Whenever Fungal Shambler deals damage to an opponent, you draw a card
    > and that opponent discards a card.

    > With the only downside being the B in his casting. I don't know if I
    > can afford to go to four colours, especially with my own blood moon
    > stopping me using non basic lands.

    There are artifacts and creatures that make mana, of course, but it
    may be difficult to justify any of them thematically. Maybe some kind
    of stones for all the critters to hide under?

    > On an unrelated note - is it ok for me to wittering on about my deck
    > here? Its really helping the process, but I hope people will say if
    > you all get bored with the badgers.

    It's interesting stuff. I've just been given my next deck challenge,
    which is to justify Posessed Portal; the previous challenge was
    for Lichenthrope, which worked out really well. I might publish it
    later on, things are a bit slow round here while we're waiting for
    rotations.

    --
    -- zoe
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk <phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk> wrote:
    >You are right - both would fit themeatically.
    >Fungudaur seems over expensive for a 2/2 if you have no way to damage
    >it yourself. Fist time it gets in a fight it'll probably get killed.

    If you have Giant Growths or something, that can alleviate this.

    >I'm not sure about the sporogenesis. Where would you put the counters?
    > On your opponents creatures? Or pile them on an obvious target like
    >the voracious cobra.
    >I'm not against it, as such, I just wonder if you suggested it purely
    >for the mushroom contingent o if theres a cool strategy I'm missing.

    Basically it was that these looked like the best Funguses that didn't require
    other Funguses to achieve their full potential... Spore Flower now also
    comes to mind.

    >On an unrelated note - is it ok for me to wittering on about my deck
    >here? Its really helping the process, but I hope people will say if
    >you all get bored with the badgers.

    This is .strategy, and one of its on-topics is "what needs to go in this deck /
    how can I make this deck better / what needs to be left out?". It's not
    ".strategy.tournaments.winning", so "making a cooler Badger deck" certainly
    fits. You're fine.

    Dave
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    If you use TnN as you had suggested before, then you would not need the
    black. Then again, som Talismans or Myr would do the trick as well. ;)
    Maybe some lightning greeves to preserve your critters and give them
    haste....
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    AEther Mutation

    Card Type Sorcery
    Card Text Return target creature to its owner's hand. Put X 1/1 green
    Saproling creature tokens into play, where X is its converted mana
    cost.
    ---
    Elvish Farmer

    Card Type Creature - Elf
    Card Text At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on
    Elvish Farmer.
    Remove three spore counters from Elvish Farmer: Put a 1/1 green
    Saproling creature token into play.
    Sacrifice a Saproling: You gain 2 life.
    Pwr/Tgh 0/2
    ---
    Rith, the Awakener

    Card Type Creature - Dragon Legend
    Card Text Flying
    Whenever Rith, the Awakener deals combat damage to a player, you may
    pay . If you do, choose a color. Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature
    token into play for each permanent of that color.
    Pwr/Tgh 6/6
    ---
    Sporogenesis

    Card Type Enchantment
    Card Text At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a fungus
    counter on target nontoken creature.
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play, put a 1/1 green
    Saproling creature token into play for each fungus counter on that
    creature.
    When Sporogenesis leaves play, remove all fungus counters from all
    creatures.
    ---
    Verdant Force

    Card Type Creature - Elemental
    Card Text At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you put a 1/1
    green Saproling creature token into play under your control.
    Pwr/Tgh 7/7
    ---
    Verdeloth the Ancient

    Card Type Creature - Treefolk Legend
    Card Text Kicker (You may pay an additional as you play this spell.)
    All other Treefolk and all Saprolings get +1/+1.
    When Verdeloth the Ancient comes into play, if the kicker cost was
    paid, put X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens into play.
    Pwr/Tgh 4/7
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    To summon a deamon called phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk you must know the
    following incantation:

    > It seems to have a weakness to flyers. I'm reluctant to put in any
    > direct damage - its not very badger like.

    maybe try wallop? it only deals with blue and black flyers, so it's not
    too cheesy, and fits into the theme, as the treefolk dude in the art
    there (molimo, afair) looks like a <rot13>cvffrq bss</> mushroom :)

    watman (mushroom! mushroom! :] )
    --
    Mateusz "Watman" Wata | http://poggadali.blox.pl
    How to contact me: http://republika.pl/watman/kontakt.html
    "Insanity: a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world"

Video Games