q: windows doesn't start up

Hello,

Our home computer has been having problems, which basically amount to
Windows XP not starting up properly. I get up to the point where the
Microsoft logo shows up with a little bar on the bottom moving left-to-right
(on a black background), but after that, the screen turns black and nothing
happens. I can still run safe mode, although occasionally that hangs, too.

We're not sure what triggered the problem. Just before this started to
happen, I seem to recall using Spybot to remove some stuff that the program
detected. Unfortunately, I had forgotten there was a "Recover" option, and
instead just uninstalled the program. We also had XP SP2 downloaded, and I
also uninstalled that, too. Getting rid of Spybot seemed to coincide with the
problem stopping for a while, but it later started up again. A Norton
antivirus scan didn't pick up anything. Eventually, I just decided to try and
reformat the harddisk, but that didn't work either. Looking at the XP FAQ for
similar problems led me to trying the command "fixmbr". That didn't seem to
help either.

Not being particularly good with computers, and not wanting to screw up my
wife's computer even further than I had already, I decided it was time to go
and ask for advice from someone who might actually know what to do. Any
suggestions?

- Chris

Hi

Try the 'Last Known Good Configuration' option on the same screen as the
access to Safe Mode is.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"xcyyuen" <xcyyuen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Our home computer has been having problems, which basically amount to
> Windows XP not starting up properly. I get up to the point where the
> Microsoft logo shows up with a little bar on the bottom moving
> left-to-right
> (on a black background), but after that, the screen turns black and
> nothing
> happens. I can still run safe mode, although occasionally that hangs, too.
>
> We're not sure what triggered the problem. Just before this started to
> happen, I seem to recall using Spybot to remove some stuff that the
> program
> detected. Unfortunately, I had forgotten there was a "Recover" option, and
> instead just uninstalled the program. We also had XP SP2 downloaded, and I
> also uninstalled that, too. Getting rid of Spybot seemed to coincide with
> the
> problem stopping for a while, but it later started up again. A Norton
> antivirus scan didn't pick up anything. Eventually, I just decided to try
> and
> reformat the harddisk, but that didn't work either. Looking at the XP FAQ
> for
> similar problems led me to trying the command "fixmbr". That didn't seem
> help either.
>
> Not being particularly good with computers, and not wanting to screw up my
> wife's computer even further than I had already, I decided it was time to
> go
> and ask for advice from someone who might actually know what to do. Any
> suggestions?
>
> - Chris

Howdy,

I tried the "Last Known Good Configuration", but that didn't succeed (still
ended up with the blank screen). I also tried using GoBack... but the latest
point it could revert to was always a time after the problem started occuring
(there are no earlier points to try).

Chris

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try the 'Last Known Good Configuration' option on the same screen as the
> access to Safe Mode is.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.

Hi

If none of those options allow you access to Windows, you will have to try a
'Repair' install of XP. Please have a look at the following article by
Michael Stevens:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

> Howdy,
>
> I tried the "Last Known Good Configuration", but that didn't succeed
> (still
> ended up with the blank screen). I also tried using GoBack... but the
> latest
> point it could revert to was always a time after the problem started
> occuring
> (there are no earlier points to try).
>
> Chris
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Try the 'Last Known Good Configuration' option on the same screen as the
>> access to Safe Mode is.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.

Will,

Thanks for the link; I probably should have done this first (repair
install), but I instead performed a clean install. I tried to install Windows
on the partition that was already there (perhaps I should have deleted the
partition?). In any case, should I still attempt the repair install (i.e.,
would it possibly fix something that was missed by my earlier attempt to do
the clean install?)

Chris

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If none of those options allow you access to Windows, you will have to try a
> 'Repair' install of XP. Please have a look at the following article by
> Michael Stevens:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Hi

With a 'clean' install you do need to delete the partition. Installing
Windows onto the partition that already holds one installations causes all
kinds of problems - a lot related to the Registry. Have you got 2 Windows
installations on the same hard disk/partition?