Druid deck for casual home play

Last response: in Video Games
July 8, 2005 11:42:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Here's a deck someone else put together for me, using Druids. I'm
wondering just how to punch it up so it lasts in casual home play. Out
of the three games I've played with it, it's died a horrible screaming
death twice (it was just too slow), while the third time my husband's
hand jammed for something like 7 turns in a row.

There main decks we swap between are red goblin/direct damage, black
and white clerics, white knights, red & black vampires, white & green
griffins, white pegasi token generation, blue and green faeries, red
and green elf/direct damage, and a red & blue direct damage/denial
deck.

While I know price is a tricky subject in this group, please try to
keep suggestions to commons (or at least lower-cost uncommons/rares).
Thanks!

Gwen
// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
19 Forest (1)

// Creatures
4 [JU] Krosan Wayfarer
4 [JU] Harvester Druid
3 [OD] Woodland Druid
4 [OD] Druid Lyrist
2 [OD] Krosan Avenger
1 [JU] Nantuko Tracer
2 [LE] Nantuko Vigilante
1 [JU] Centaur Rootcaster

// Spells
3 [IN] Aggressive Urge
2 [8E] Revive
2 [EX] Resuscitate
3 [UD] Multani's Decree
4 [MM] Spidersilk Armor
4 [HL] Carapace (2)
2 [US] Crosswinds

--
Gwen Morse mailto:goldmooneachna%40yahoo.com
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then

"Gwen Morse" <goldmooneachna@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Here's a deck someone else put together for me, using Druids. I'm
> wondering just how to punch it up so it lasts in casual home play. Out
> of the three games I've played with it, it's died a horrible screaming
> death twice (it was just too slow), while the third time my husband's
> hand jammed for something like 7 turns in a row.
>
> There main decks we swap between are red goblin/direct damage, black
> and white clerics, white knights, red & black vampires, white & green
> griffins, white pegasi token generation, blue and green faeries, red
> and green elf/direct damage, and a red & blue direct damage/denial
> deck.
>
> While I know price is a tricky subject in this group, please try to
> keep suggestions to commons (or at least lower-cost uncommons/rares).
> Thanks!

Hey Gwen

OK, I dug out Apprentice and ran off a list of all Druids in Magic. I'll
list the Common/Uncommon ones first, and then the Rares. I've noticed,
incidentally, that the Rare ones for the most part don't see much play from
what I've noticed, with the exception of the Enchantress. BTW, if you have
your reader set for plain text, the lists will line up properly :)  Also keep
in mind that some of these are Quite Old.

Avenging Druid Broodhatch Nantuko Centaur Rootcaster
Citanul Druid
Diligent Farmhand Druid Lyrist Elvish Pioneer
Fyndhorn Druid
Groundskeeper Harvester Druid Ichneumon Druid
Krosan Avenger
Krosan Restorer Krosan Wayfarer Nantuko Cultivator
Nantuko Disciple
Nantuko Elder Nantuko Tracer Nantuko Vigilante
Nullmage Advocate
Promised Kannushi Quagmire Druid* Seton's Scout
Sylvok Explorer
Totem Speaker Village Elder Viridian Joiner
Werebear
Woodland Druid Yavimaya Elder Yavimaya Enchantress

Citanul Hierophants Fugitive Druid Hermit Druid
Joiner Adept
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa Nantuko Blightcutter Nantuko Calmer
Nantuko Mentor
Nut Collector Quirion Druid Seton, Krosan Protector
Squirrel Wrangler
Thriss, Nantuko Primus Verduran Enchantress Wood Sage**
Zoologist

* Quaqmire Druid is the only nongreen Druid listed - although it has a
green activation.
** Wood Sage is green/blue.

If I was to make a deck heavily based on Druids, I'd follow one of two
themes. The first would be an Enchantress deck, as both the Yavimaya and
Verduran Enchantresses are Druids. The other option would be beating down
hard with them. Kamahl and Thriss can help a lot in this regard, if you can
get your hands on either.

> // Deck file for Magic Workstation
>
> // Lands
> 19 Forest (1)

Having 19 lands in a deck is typically presumed to be not enough. However,
that partly depends on the aggressiveness of your deck, the mana costs in
it.. and how much land you can fetch how quickly :)

> // Creatures
> 4 [JU] Krosan Wayfarer
> 4 [JU] Harvester Druid
> 3 [OD] Woodland Druid
> 4 [OD] Druid Lyrist
> 2 [OD] Krosan Avenger
> 1 [JU] Nantuko Tracer
> 2 [LE] Nantuko Vigilante
> 1 [JU] Centaur Rootcaster

Looks like 21 creatures. Diligent Farmhand might not be a bad addition to
your deck to help you dig out more land faster (thus raising the quality of
what you actually draw). Get some Yavimaya Elders as well if you're able;
GG1 for a 2/1 which lets you sacrifice it to draw a card, and when it hits
the graveyard you can dig out two lands from your deck. Goes nicely with the
Krosan Wayfarers and Elvish Pioneers if you really need extra lands. Elders
let you draw cards, so if your board is a little clogged, or you just need
more ammo in your hand, sacrificing him for two mana to get that extra card
can help.

> // Spells
> 3 [IN] Aggressive Urge
> 2 [8E] Revive
> 2 [EX] Resuscitate
> 3 [UD] Multani's Decree
> 4 [MM] Spidersilk Armor
> 4 [HL] Carapace (2)
> 2 [US] Crosswinds

Hmmm.. If you can find a way to get him in, try and grab Kamahl, Fist of
Krosa. He's a Druid (rare) who can give you Overrun ability as an instant
every turn. Replace the Aggessive Urges with Primal Boosts. It'll cost you
an extra mana, but you have the same thing as Aggressive Urge, with the
option of giving up the card draw for an extra +3/+3. Repopulate is a great
way to recur Yavimaya Elders. Also consider Rancor. It gives a creature
+2/+0 and trample for one mana, and it just doesn't want to die. (There's a
reason one of the Big Important People on MTGSalvation.com, and formerly on
MTGNews.com, goes by the name Rancored Elf.)

Hope this helps give you some ideas.
Erich
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:40:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:42:48 -0400, Gwen Morse
<goldmooneachna@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here's a deck someone else put together for me, using Druids. I'm
>wondering just how to punch it up so it lasts in casual home play. Out
>of the three games I've played with it, it's died a horrible screaming
>death twice (it was just too slow), while the third time my husband's
>hand jammed for something like 7 turns in a row.
>
>There main decks we swap between are red goblin/direct damage, black
>and white clerics, white knights, red & black vampires, white & green
>griffins, white pegasi token generation, blue and green faeries, red
>and green elf/direct damage, and a red & blue direct damage/denial
>deck.
>
>While I know price is a tricky subject in this group, please try to
>keep suggestions to commons (or at least lower-cost uncommons/rares).
>Thanks!
>
>Gwen
>// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
>
>// Lands
> 19 Forest (1)
>
>// Creatures
> 4 [JU] Krosan Wayfarer
> 4 [JU] Harvester Druid
> 3 [OD] Woodland Druid
> 4 [OD] Druid Lyrist
> 2 [OD] Krosan Avenger
> 1 [JU] Nantuko Tracer
> 2 [LE] Nantuko Vigilante
> 1 [JU] Centaur Rootcaster
>
>// Spells
> 3 [IN] Aggressive Urge
> 2 [8E] Revive
> 2 [EX] Resuscitate
> 3 [UD] Multani's Decree
> 4 [MM] Spidersilk Armor
> 4 [HL] Carapace (2)
> 2 [US] Crosswinds

Erich had some very good suggestions...I have yet another deck type
that is Druid heavy...Seismic Assault.

//NAME: Mudslingers
// Lands
11 Forest
7 Mountain
2 Wasteland
2 Wooded Foothills
// Creatures
3 Eternal Witness
4 Groundskeeper
2 Yavimaya Elder
3 Avenging Druid
4 Hermit Druid
// Enchantments
2 Rancor
4 Seismic Assault
// Spells
3 Incinerate
4 Naturalize
2 Gaea's Blessing
4 Kodama's Reach
3 Thoughts of Ruin
// Artifacts
3 Crucible of Worlds
// Sideboard
SB: 2 Elfhame Sanctuary
SB: 2 Genesis
SB: 2 Keldon Arsonist
SB: 2 Lightning Bolt
SB: 3 One with Nature
SB: 2 Shunt
SB: 2 Sowing Salt

The Witness is a Shaman, but it's hard to run green and not put her in
a deck filling the grave. Rancor is not necessary, just makes the
Avenging Druid and Elder more effective. Cut those and deck becomes a
little more managable for cost.
!