Druid deck for casual home play

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Here's a deck someone else put together for me, using Druids. I'm
wondering just how to punch it up so it lasts in casual home play. Out
of the three games I've played with it, it's died a horrible screaming
death twice (it was just too slow), while the third time my husband's
hand jammed for something like 7 turns in a row.

There main decks we swap between are red goblin/direct damage, black
and white clerics, white knights, red & black vampires, white & green
griffins, white pegasi token generation, blue and green faeries, red
and green elf/direct damage, and a red & blue direct damage/denial
deck.

While I know price is a tricky subject in this group, please try to
keep suggestions to commons (or at least lower-cost uncommons/rares).
Thanks!

Gwen
// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
19 Forest (1)

// Creatures
4 [JU] Krosan Wayfarer
4 [JU] Harvester Druid
3 [OD] Woodland Druid
4 [OD] Druid Lyrist
2 [OD] Krosan Avenger
1 [JU] Nantuko Tracer
2 [LE] Nantuko Vigilante
1 [JU] Centaur Rootcaster

// Spells
3 [IN] Aggressive Urge
2 [8E] Revive
2 [EX] Resuscitate
3 [UD] Multani's Decree
4 [MM] Spidersilk Armor
4 [HL] Carapace (2)
2 [US] Crosswinds

--
Gwen Morse mailto:goldmooneachna%40yahoo.com
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then

    "Gwen Morse" <goldmooneachna@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Here's a deck someone else put together for me, using Druids. I'm
    > wondering just how to punch it up so it lasts in casual home play. Out
    > of the three games I've played with it, it's died a horrible screaming
    > death twice (it was just too slow), while the third time my husband's
    > hand jammed for something like 7 turns in a row.
    >
    > There main decks we swap between are red goblin/direct damage, black
    > and white clerics, white knights, red & black vampires, white & green
    > griffins, white pegasi token generation, blue and green faeries, red
    > and green elf/direct damage, and a red & blue direct damage/denial
    > deck.
    >
    > While I know price is a tricky subject in this group, please try to
    > keep suggestions to commons (or at least lower-cost uncommons/rares).
    > Thanks!

    Hey Gwen

    OK, I dug out Apprentice and ran off a list of all Druids in Magic. I'll
    list the Common/Uncommon ones first, and then the Rares. I've noticed,
    incidentally, that the Rare ones for the most part don't see much play from
    what I've noticed, with the exception of the Enchantress. BTW, if you have
    your reader set for plain text, the lists will line up properly :) Also keep
    in mind that some of these are Quite Old.

    Avenging Druid Broodhatch Nantuko Centaur Rootcaster
    Citanul Druid
    Diligent Farmhand Druid Lyrist Elvish Pioneer
    Fyndhorn Druid
    Groundskeeper Harvester Druid Ichneumon Druid
    Krosan Avenger
    Krosan Restorer Krosan Wayfarer Nantuko Cultivator
    Nantuko Disciple
    Nantuko Elder Nantuko Tracer Nantuko Vigilante
    Nullmage Advocate
    Promised Kannushi Quagmire Druid* Seton's Scout
    Sylvok Explorer
    Totem Speaker Village Elder Viridian Joiner
    Werebear
    Woodland Druid Yavimaya Elder Yavimaya Enchantress

    Citanul Hierophants Fugitive Druid Hermit Druid
    Joiner Adept
    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa Nantuko Blightcutter Nantuko Calmer
    Nantuko Mentor
    Nut Collector Quirion Druid Seton, Krosan Protector
    Squirrel Wrangler
    Thriss, Nantuko Primus Verduran Enchantress Wood Sage**
    Zoologist

    * Quaqmire Druid is the only nongreen Druid listed - although it has a
    green activation.
    ** Wood Sage is green/blue.

    If I was to make a deck heavily based on Druids, I'd follow one of two
    themes. The first would be an Enchantress deck, as both the Yavimaya and
    Verduran Enchantresses are Druids. The other option would be beating down
    hard with them. Kamahl and Thriss can help a lot in this regard, if you can
    get your hands on either.

    > // Deck file for Magic Workstation
    >
    > // Lands
    > 19 Forest (1)

    Having 19 lands in a deck is typically presumed to be not enough. However,
    that partly depends on the aggressiveness of your deck, the mana costs in
    it.. and how much land you can fetch how quickly :)

    > // Creatures
    > 4 [JU] Krosan Wayfarer
    > 4 [JU] Harvester Druid
    > 3 [OD] Woodland Druid
    > 4 [OD] Druid Lyrist
    > 2 [OD] Krosan Avenger
    > 1 [JU] Nantuko Tracer
    > 2 [LE] Nantuko Vigilante
    > 1 [JU] Centaur Rootcaster

    Looks like 21 creatures. Diligent Farmhand might not be a bad addition to
    your deck to help you dig out more land faster (thus raising the quality of
    what you actually draw). Get some Yavimaya Elders as well if you're able;
    GG1 for a 2/1 which lets you sacrifice it to draw a card, and when it hits
    the graveyard you can dig out two lands from your deck. Goes nicely with the
    Krosan Wayfarers and Elvish Pioneers if you really need extra lands. Elders
    let you draw cards, so if your board is a little clogged, or you just need
    more ammo in your hand, sacrificing him for two mana to get that extra card
    can help.

    > // Spells
    > 3 [IN] Aggressive Urge
    > 2 [8E] Revive
    > 2 [EX] Resuscitate
    > 3 [UD] Multani's Decree
    > 4 [MM] Spidersilk Armor
    > 4 [HL] Carapace (2)
    > 2 [US] Crosswinds

    Hmmm.. If you can find a way to get him in, try and grab Kamahl, Fist of
    Krosa. He's a Druid (rare) who can give you Overrun ability as an instant
    every turn. Replace the Aggessive Urges with Primal Boosts. It'll cost you
    an extra mana, but you have the same thing as Aggressive Urge, with the
    option of giving up the card draw for an extra +3/+3. Repopulate is a great
    way to recur Yavimaya Elders. Also consider Rancor. It gives a creature
    +2/+0 and trample for one mana, and it just doesn't want to die. (There's a
    reason one of the Big Important People on MTGSalvation.com, and formerly on
    MTGNews.com, goes by the name Rancored Elf.)

    Hope this helps give you some ideas.
    Erich
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:42:48 -0400, Gwen Morse
    <goldmooneachna@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Here's a deck someone else put together for me, using Druids. I'm
    >wondering just how to punch it up so it lasts in casual home play. Out
    >of the three games I've played with it, it's died a horrible screaming
    >death twice (it was just too slow), while the third time my husband's
    >hand jammed for something like 7 turns in a row.
    >
    >There main decks we swap between are red goblin/direct damage, black
    >and white clerics, white knights, red & black vampires, white & green
    >griffins, white pegasi token generation, blue and green faeries, red
    >and green elf/direct damage, and a red & blue direct damage/denial
    >deck.
    >
    >While I know price is a tricky subject in this group, please try to
    >keep suggestions to commons (or at least lower-cost uncommons/rares).
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Gwen
    >// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
    >
    >// Lands
    > 19 Forest (1)
    >
    >// Creatures
    > 4 [JU] Krosan Wayfarer
    > 4 [JU] Harvester Druid
    > 3 [OD] Woodland Druid
    > 4 [OD] Druid Lyrist
    > 2 [OD] Krosan Avenger
    > 1 [JU] Nantuko Tracer
    > 2 [LE] Nantuko Vigilante
    > 1 [JU] Centaur Rootcaster
    >
    >// Spells
    > 3 [IN] Aggressive Urge
    > 2 [8E] Revive
    > 2 [EX] Resuscitate
    > 3 [UD] Multani's Decree
    > 4 [MM] Spidersilk Armor
    > 4 [HL] Carapace (2)
    > 2 [US] Crosswinds

    Erich had some very good suggestions...I have yet another deck type
    that is Druid heavy...Seismic Assault.

    //NAME: Mudslingers
    // Lands
    11 Forest
    7 Mountain
    2 Wasteland
    2 Wooded Foothills
    // Creatures
    3 Eternal Witness
    4 Groundskeeper
    2 Yavimaya Elder
    3 Avenging Druid
    4 Hermit Druid
    // Enchantments
    2 Rancor
    4 Seismic Assault
    // Spells
    3 Incinerate
    4 Naturalize
    2 Gaea's Blessing
    4 Kodama's Reach
    3 Thoughts of Ruin
    // Artifacts
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    // Sideboard
    SB: 2 Elfhame Sanctuary
    SB: 2 Genesis
    SB: 2 Keldon Arsonist
    SB: 2 Lightning Bolt
    SB: 3 One with Nature
    SB: 2 Shunt
    SB: 2 Sowing Salt

    The Witness is a Shaman, but it's hard to run green and not put her in
    a deck filling the grave. Rancor is not necessary, just makes the
    Avenging Druid and Elder more effective. Cut those and deck becomes a
    little more managable for cost.

Games Video Games