going beyond 15 categories

July 17, 2005 5:41:19 PM

Any way to get beyond the 15 palm application categories?

Thanks!

--Randy Starkey

More about : categories

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:10:24 PM

Randy Starkey wrote:

> Any way to get beyond the 15 palm application categories?

I understand that that's a four-bit field in the application identifier, so
0-15 would be the limit and getting beyond it would be difficult.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:41:19 -0500, "Randy Starkey"
<randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> was understood to have
stated the following:

>Any way to get beyond the 15 palm application categories?
>
>Thanks!

That magic 15 is a limit unlikely to change any time in the near
future. There is actually a 16 category limit, but the first is always
"unnamed." This limitation is due to using 4 bits to represent the
category; the other 4 bits of that byte are already used for other
purposes, if memory serves. Unfortunately, an overhaul to change this
would be a relatively major undertaking, requiring OS and apps to be
upgraded.
July 18, 2005 1:46:30 AM

"David W. Poole, Jr." <STKR!@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:41:19 -0500, "Randy Starkey"
> <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> was understood to have
> stated the following:
>
>>Any way to get beyond the 15 palm application categories?
>>
>>Thanks!
>
> That magic 15 is a limit unlikely to change any time in the near
> future. There is actually a 16 category limit, but the first is always
> "unnamed." This limitation is due to using 4 bits to represent the
> category; the other 4 bits of that byte are already used for other
> purposes, if memory serves. Unfortunately, an overhaul to change this
> would be a relatively major undertaking, requiring OS and apps to be
> upgraded.

OK. Thanks David and John. Bad news, but at least I know!

--Randy
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:29:27 AM

Randy Starkey wrote:

> "David W. Poole, Jr." <STKR!@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:41:19 -0500, "Randy Starkey"
>> <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> was understood to have
>> stated the following:
>>
>>>Any way to get beyond the 15 palm application categories?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>> That magic 15 is a limit unlikely to change any time in the near
>> future. There is actually a 16 category limit, but the first is always
>> "unnamed." This limitation is due to using 4 bits to represent the
>> category; the other 4 bits of that byte are already used for other
>> purposes, if memory serves. Unfortunately, an overhaul to change this
>> would be a relatively major undertaking, requiring OS and apps to be
>> upgraded.
>
> OK. Thanks David and John. Bad news, but at least I know!

I had the same problem. I slowly re-built the structure of my Memos and ToDo
Lists. It was quite disappointing at first, but I think I'm better off now.
15 categories scatter your tasks in too many places, which makes them hard
to keep track of.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

In article <11dl9ig7egssrdd@corp.supernews.com>,
randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com says...

> Any way to get beyond the 15 palm application categories?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Randy Starkey

3rd parties do, Beyond Contacts and KeySuite both have 256 categories
and you can assign 256 categories to each contact, calendar, memo, todo,
etc. entry.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger