Casual Format Question

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

After playing since Ice Age, I quit playing MTG/MTGO about a year ago
because I got tired of just playing against the cloned net-decks with
four of each of the hot cards from the latest expansion sets.
Historically speaking, my favorite playing style was using those
random, 4th & 5th Ed. tournament decks because each card was different
and the games lasted for a long time as a result.

Now that 9th Edition has come out, I have been wanting to get back into
MTG/MTGO. However, all I am really interested in these days is playing
"vanilla", Singleton games using only the latest Core Set (9th Edition)
with none of the expansion sets. Since I am a collector, too, I would
rather just collect one of each card rather than try to get four of
each card (which is insanely expensive ... trust me).

Do I have any chance in the world of finding casual players
(non-Spikes) who would be willing to play that format, either in person
or on MTGO?

I tried to find people on MTGO to do that a year ago and came up with
zero interested parties.

- Chad

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Oh, regarding my question, I guess you could say I was inquiring about
a "Highlander" format using *only* the Core Set. I read the term
"Highlander" in another post.

- Chad

On 2 Aug 2005 01:05:51 -0700, "Chad Rushing" <notus00@aol.com> wrote:

>After playing since Ice Age, I quit playing MTG/MTGO about a year ago
>because I got tired of just playing against the cloned net-decks with
>four of each of the hot cards from the latest expansion sets.
>Historically speaking, my favorite playing style was using those
>random, 4th & 5th Ed. tournament decks because each card was different
>and the games lasted for a long time as a result.
>
>Now that 9th Edition has come out, I have been wanting to get back into
>MTG/MTGO. However, all I am really interested in these days is playing
>"vanilla", Singleton games using only the latest Core Set (9th Edition)
>with none of the expansion sets. Since I am a collector, too, I would
>rather just collect one of each card rather than try to get four of
>each card (which is insanely expensive ... trust me).
>
>Do I have any chance in the world of finding casual players
>(non-Spikes) who would be willing to play that format, either in person
>or on MTGO?
>
>I tried to find people on MTGO to do that a year ago and came up with
>zero interested parties.
>
>- Chad

Have you considered League Play on MTGO where everyone starts with
a few boosters?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I would be interested in playing magic with/against you, but unfortunately,
I live
in Klerksdorp, South Africa, and am not really into the idea of playing MTGO
quite yet.

If you think collecting one of each card is insanely expensive, try doing
what I am doing, I am collecting four of each, and I have started from
Urza's Saga. My collection is doing pretty well, and yes it is expensive.

Jonathan Fourie
TO Klerksdorp

I used to try to collect four of each card, too, starting from around
Urza's Saga like you did, but it just cost way too much for how often I
was able to play. Now that Wizards seems to support the Singleton (one
of each card) format, I might try playing Singleton Standard (not
Extended or Vintage) sometime. Getting just one of each recent card
does seem like it would be too outrageous.

- Chad

Jonathan Fourie wrote:
> I would be interested in playing magic with/against you, but unfortunately,
> I live
> in Klerksdorp, South Africa, and am not really into the idea of playing MTGO
> quite yet.
>
> If you think collecting one of each card is insanely expensive, try doing
> what I am doing, I am collecting four of each, and I have started from
> Urza's Saga. My collection is doing pretty well, and yes it is expensive.
>
> Jonathan Fourie
> TO Klerksdorp

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I don't think Singleton formats are supported in real life magic but
the environment exists on MTGO. Except they will use more cards than
those that exist in just the core sets.

there are lots of causal players on MTGO - hang around in the casual
room or the beginners room and you'll fin tonnes of them.

DG.

TRENDING THREADS