Radeon 9800 clock speeds

Terranboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
I suspect my OEM ordered Radeon 9800 128 to be overclocked and overheating. I downloaded PowerStrip and it tells me that the clock speeds are: memory 290mhz, engine 324mhz. Is this right? If so, then why is the heat alarm going of when I run 3Dmark2003 and the computer freezes and rebooting when I play games? Whats the normal operating temp for the radeon, and how can I see what mines running at?

Non Pro GPU 325Mhz, OK there, You do have your P/S hooked directly into the card right, its not supposed to boot if you don't, is the cooling fan on the card working?

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Terranboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Yes is plugged it, and yes the fan works. Heres more about my system, I have a nforce2 mobo, Athlon 2600+, 512mb RAM, 40gb HD, and a 300W power supply. Could the power supply be lacking to the point were the card fan shuts off?

ATI reccommends a 300W or greater P/S, and if what you listed is all you're running you should be OK in that area, do you have adequate cooling in your case? How many case fans are you running?

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Terranboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Ok I left some off my list. Heres everything thats plugged in to the power supply a 52x CDROM, a Sony CD-RW, Floppy drive, 40gb hardrive, mobo and CPU, a case fan blowing out the back, Case fan pulling in the front, a blower right under the Radeon, and the Radeon itself. The Power supply has a fan blowing out, but no intake.

Yes they are!

<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800pro/compare.html" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800pro/compare.html</A>

You may have a defective cooling fan on the card itself, or bad airflow through the case keeping temps high in the case, it would be hard to say exactly why this problem is happening, but good airflow through the case is essential to the cooling needs of the CPU and Graphics card, investing in a higher quality P/S with Intake over the CPU and exaust out the back, may or may not solve your problem, I improved my airflow through the case by changing from the Ribbon to Round IDE cables, which made a big difference, but these are just suggestions.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
9700n-p = 275/270
9700pro = 325/310
9800n-p = 325/290 (iirc)
9800pro = 380/340

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Point? Point???
I need no point... i merly have rambling endless monologues :smile:

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Terranboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Ok, I think I solved it but my solution was a little odd. The fan pulling air in the front was all clogged up with dust (a 5 year old case) So I took it out, and cut a square hole in the case's side panel, screwed the fan in, and put a grill from a old P/S over it. It's positioned to pull the CPU heat directly out of the system, at the same time, moving some air over the top of the Radeon. I played UnrealII longer than I have before and no Heat alarm, and ran 3Dmark2003 fine. Although U2 did lock up once, I don't think that is a heat related problem. If it starts screwing up again. I'll post it. Thanks for the tips