9600 Pro lock up problem

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
i have a HIS Radeon 9600 Pro and when playing games my computer freezes and restarts then i get the error message telling me that the error was caused by my radeon. some of the games i have problems frequently are: tomb raider angel of darkness, c&c generals, nba live 2003.
i have updated every single driver in my computer.
my system: win xp pro, p4 2.4 ghz, kingston 512mb 400mhz ram, asus p4p800 motherboard, asus t10 psu, audigy 2 platinum ex.
i think a lot of people has that problem. i'm waiting for your help. thanks.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure:
You have the latest chipset drivers installed.
Latest Catylists
All traces of previous detonator drivers removed (if your previous card was an Nvidia)
Adequate and decent quality Power supply.
Ram passes multiple www.memtest86.com[url] runs. Try di...:smile: Regards, Mr no integrity coward.</b>

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
look a bit further down and you will see my thread.

seems we have a very similiar problem..

cept my system just locks up with no error messages.

i have ruled everything out at this point (except AGP driving -some manual setting. I just can't get info on what hex number i should use on my MSI k7t266 pro-r MB)

its down to defective card..or more likely..an incompatibility between MB and ati card. :(

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
i have performed memtest86 and passed, i also have performed prime 95 for 2.5 hours and no errors were found.
although not for sure, i think i'm able to play for a longer time without lock ups in 1280x1024 60hz than 1024x768 85hz.
can it be a hardware problem? well, if it's the case i should try to change the card, i guess. because i can't find any other possibilities.

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
no i haven't tried driver cleaner. what's it? actually i don't know if it will work but i'm thinking about formating my system. it seems it's the only thing i haven't done. but i see that there are other people who have that problem, so i don't know what to do anymore. i'm out of solutions.

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
my psu is 300W
also i have noticed one more thing: my motherboard has a utility named asusprob for monitoring the system and it says "power fan and chassis fan below threshold".
does that mean that my fans aren't working properly?

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Fans operating below threshold are NEVER a good thing. If I were you, I'd check out the P/S first cuz it sounds like you aren't getting enough voltages to your fans. You can pick up a Power Supply tester down at Comp USA for about 20 bucks. Always good to have laying around. Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>I don't have to be careful! I have a gun!</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Homer Simpson</font color=green>

TKS

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
well, actually the threshold is 600 rpm as default. is it possible that my fans are working below 600 rpm? they seem to be working normally. can you offer me another fan testing program?

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
my lockups seem to be over (but at a 25% performance cost)

ati senior tech agreed my prob was most likely a compat prob with MB. but he last suggested i disable agp write/read

(from run command line type smartgart)

i did..and around 9 hrs of testing games later..no lockups.
not definitive yet..but it looks like problem is worked around.

(also used nvidia's agpmem utility and it says i have 0 agp memory... and people say that means you need to update 4 in 1 drivers fro via. Problem is that i have already doen that.)

cleeve

Illustrious
Could be your PSU.

I had a generic 300 watter. I used to get bizarre crashing when I played taxing 3d games with my old Radeon 8500. It would only crash in certain demainding games, like Unreal 2.

Then I got a 460 watt power supply and it never ever crashed again. The system became super stable.

Not saying that's your problem for sure, but with your CPU and video card, you should be running at least a 350 watt brand name power supply... I've seen it help lots of people.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

endyen

Splendid
Driver cleaner will get rid of the last bit of old nvidia video card drivers. These will reak havoc on an Ati card and vice versa. The cleaner is available as a free download from Driver Heaven. ( sorry not sure of the url but you can google for it)

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
if that was directed at me cause i mentioned nvidia's utility...its a seperate dwnload that is non video card specific..and only installed last night at that :)

---

i used a couple driver cleaner utilities to no effect (many times over last 13 days)

--

ati support will not give me a straight answer on what the solution means about my card.

this one lady is now telling me that i have an agp revision 2 motherboard while i am trying to use a revision 3 graphics card..says so right on box she says.

and yet on box it says it IS 4x compatible (revision 2) or 8x compatible (revision 30. or 4x/8x compatible.

no where do i see their tech docs telling 4x agp motherboard owners that they should be sliding down their hardware acceleration notch to compensate (which does not work btw)

grr! :) :(

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
ok the definitive solution is now found.
In my case..like 90% of all problems..it was the user's fault.

I thought i had installed the latest 4 in 1 drivers (cause it said it was successful)...but i didn't actually check the dates or know them.

A response from viaarena ..told me how to check which drivers i had installed and how to install them manually.

Now, actually having the latest 4 in 1 drivers --which includes an agp driver with support for agp 3...all my problems have been solved.

So..perhaps this may apply to your lockups as well...

hyperion 4.29 drivers..that have a date in 2003 :)

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
where can i get the those drivers for my motherboard? i checked the asus web site, but there wasn't anything like that.

neveroldmilk

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2003
Really?It cannt be!Just search the mobo drivers in the asus website,still cann`t?Then search your chipset type plus key words--"driver" in the whole internet.U cannt miss it!

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
what's the general name for those drivers? should i search for 4 in 1 or hyperion or agp drivers? because i checked every download for asus p4p800 and there wasn't anything like that.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
im sorry Lathander -- i should have thought to answer fo ryou as well.

you have an intel based system.

i will look to see if intel has updated stuff somewhere..

edit: found it ---go to this page to download updated graphics driver.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV,ARC,UTL&ProductID=1049&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go!

the hyperion drivers are only for athalon systems based on VIA chipsets.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by redStar on 08/27/03 01:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS