opening files stored in My Documents in Word

If I right click on a files stored in My Documents and request 'Open with
Word', when Word opens the item appears, but is totally unreadable (lots of
square OOOOs and so on) Choices are given to change the format but none of
them are readable. Is there a way around this please
--
best regards nennie
2 answers Last reply

    "nennie" <us@therein.net> wrote in message
    > If I right click on a files stored in My Documents and request 'Open with
    > Word', when Word opens the item appears, but is totally unreadable (lots
    > of
    > square OOOOs and so on) Choices are given to change the format but none of
    > them are readable. Is there a way around this please
    > --
    > best regards nennie

    Nennie

    Were the documents created with Word? If not then you will need to use the
    same program that created the files to view them. You may also be able to
    find a converter for Word to use to open them. At the following link under
    Browse Downloads you can find converters for use with different versions of
    Word.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/officeupdate/default.aspx

    Kerry

    Sounds like damaged Fonts. Office/Word puts an item in Add/remove app for "Detect and Repair"

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "nennie" <us@therein.net> wrote in message news:7D3EB1EF-5DD4-475D-9F10-A7270BB2B4AD@microsoft.com...
    > If I right click on a files stored in My Documents and request 'Open with
    > Word', when Word opens the item appears, but is totally unreadable (lots of
    > square OOOOs and so on) Choices are given to change the format but none of
    > them are readable. Is there a way around this please
    > --
    > best regards nennie

Support My Documents Microsoft Windows XP