Red Life

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Hi,
I've just taken apart some decks, this one caught my eye as it was
rather successful without needing too many rares:

4 Hammer of Bogardan
4 Firebolt
4 Magma Jet
3 Fanning the Flames
4 Wall of Stone
4 Dragon's Claw
3 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Well of Lost Dreams
3 Storm Shaman
3 Glitterfang
3 Viashino Sandstalker
1 Viashino Cutthroat
1 Hammerheim
22 Mountain

The deck did have Viashino Sandswimmers in as well, but they weren't all
that much use, especially when they were competing with the Dragon's
Claw and Magma Jet.

I've sometimes played this deck and found myself on 50 life before I've
run out of opponents...

--
-- zoe

Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just taken apart some decks, this one caught my eye as it was
> rather successful without needing too many rares:

> 4 Hammer of Bogardan
> 4 Firebolt
> 4 Magma Jet
> 3 Fanning the Flames
> 4 Wall of Stone
> 4 Dragon's Claw
> 3 Loxodon Warhammer
> 1 Well of Lost Dreams
> 3 Storm Shaman
> 3 Glitterfang
> 3 Viashino Sandstalker
> 1 Viashino Cutthroat
> 1 Hammerheim
> 22 Mountain

> The deck did have Viashino Sandswimmers in as well, but they weren't all
> that much use, especially when they were competing with the Dragon's
> Claw and Magma Jet.

> I've sometimes played this deck and found myself on 50 life before I've
> run out of opponents...

> --
> -- zoe

I have to agree with the other poster -- the deck has relatively few
attacking creatures to attach those expensive Warhammers to, and most
of them 'bounce' back to your hand at end of turn, possibly forcing
you to re-equip multiple times. All that on only 23 mana.

As a first draft, I'd consider removing one of the Walls of Stone, the
Viashino Cutthroat, two of the Sandstalkers, and one Hammer of
Bogardan and Fanning the Flames each. Add three or four Suq'Ata
Lancers if available (they're still one of the most solid attacking
hasty creatures I can think of) and fill the remaining two or three
slots with extra mana or card drawing. (Fire Diamond comes to mind out
of habit, but Mind Stone should also work since the land base already
provides plenty of red. Seething Song might help gain extra life from
the Claws, but I'd be a bit hesitant to rely on one-shot mana spells
for this deck.) The Glitterfangs can stay as is -- they're cheap and
combine well with the Dragon's Claws.

Hope this helps...or at least doesn't hurt. :)
--
Klaus Mittag (mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
#include <disclaimer.h>

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> sent:
> At some point in time, Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:

>>Hi,
>> I've just taken apart some decks, this one caught my eye as it was
>>rather successful without needing too many rares:
>>
>>4 Wall of Stone
>>3 Loxodon Warhammer
>>3 Storm Shaman
>>3 Glitterfang
>>3 Viashino Sandstalker
>>1 Viashino Cutthroat

>>The deck did have Viashino Sandswimmers in as well, but they weren't all
>>that much use, especially when they were competing with the Dragon's
>>Claw and Magma Jet.
>>

> The only problems I'd have with is the anti-combo of the Warhammer with (a) a
> low creature count, and (b) creature that return to your hand, unequipping
> themselves. Instead, I'd swap out the bouncy critters for something more like
> the Storm Shaman: cheap so you can cast burn the same turn, tough so they will
> take a blocking and survive.

Surprisingly, it's not been a problem in the games that I've played
with this deck. Early game is Glitterfangs and Magma Jets and
Firebolts, mid game is recurring red spells with Dragon's Claw, late
game is Fanning the Flames or Storm Shaman/Loxodon Warhammer. It seems
to work out in the environment I'm in, you just have to not play a
conventional red game with it.

--
-- zoe

KAOS

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

On 8 Aug 2005 13:27:04 GMT, Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed>
dared speak in front of ME:

>Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> sent:
>> At some point in time, Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:
>
>>>Hi,
>>> I've just taken apart some decks, this one caught my eye as it was
>>>rather successful without needing too many rares:
>>>
>>>4 Wall of Stone
>>>3 Loxodon Warhammer
>>>3 Storm Shaman
>>>3 Glitterfang
>>>3 Viashino Sandstalker
>>>1 Viashino Cutthroat
>

>>>The deck did have Viashino Sandswimmers in as well, but they weren't all
>>>that much use, especially when they were competing with the Dragon's
>>>Claw and Magma Jet.
>>>

>> The only problems I'd have with is the anti-combo of the Warhammer with (a) a
>> low creature count, and (b) creature that return to your hand, unequipping
>> themselves. Instead, I'd swap out the bouncy critters for something more like
>> the Storm Shaman: cheap so you can cast burn the same turn, tough so they will
>> take a blocking and survive.
>
>Surprisingly, it's not been a problem in the games that I've played
>with this deck. Early game is Glitterfangs and Magma Jets and
>Firebolts, mid game is recurring red spells with Dragon's Claw, late
>game is Fanning the Flames or Storm Shaman/Loxodon Warhammer. It seems
>to work out in the environment I'm in,

While I can see how it can work out, the question is: would it work
better the other way?

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> sent:
> On 8 Aug 2005 13:27:04 GMT, Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed>
> dared speak in front of ME:

>>Surprisingly, it's not been a problem in the games that I've played
>>with this deck. Early game is Glitterfangs and Magma Jets and
>>Firebolts, mid game is recurring red spells with Dragon's Claw, late
>>game is Fanning the Flames or Storm Shaman/Loxodon Warhammer. It seems
>>to work out in the environment I'm in,

> While I can see how it can work out, the question is: would it work
> better the other way?

Probably in a two-player game, or in a different environment, I'd go
for more aggression and earlier Warhammer action as suggested in this
thread. I like the idea of the Suq'ata Lancers, actually, good call
whoever it was that mentioned them.

I tend to find that in my current environment, anything more obvious
than a couple of Dragon's Claws and Magma Jets will cause people to
gang up and put me out of my misery. With the build as it stands, even
with players who've seen it many times, it will consistently not look
like a threat until far enough into the game that the serious pounding
begins.

I've taken the deck apart for now as it was winning too often to be
all that much fun...

--
-- zoe

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:
> I like the idea of the Suq'ata Lancers, actually, good call
> whoever it was that mentioned them.

That would be me. :) I'll admit, though, that it didn't fully sink in
at the time that you were talking about a multiplayer deck, or I might
just have maintained radio silence; while I've played in the occasional
impromptu casual free-for-all or team game, I don't recall actually
ever building a deck specifically *for* that, just using whatever I
had with me at the time. So, although I do know from personal dueling
experience that the Lancers are great, I'm not really in *such* a
solid position to dispense sage advice. :)