Benchark Downers

ovoco5

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Hello all,

I have recently upgraded an XP system I am running at home that I use mostly for gaming (I basically don’t want to by a Playstation2 or Xbox)
My configuration is as follows:
Gainward Geforce 4 Ti 4200
Windows XP Home ED
512 MB DDR 400
30 gig hdd
AMD 2400+
MSI k7n2 Nforce2 MotherBoard
Sound Blaster 512
All my Graphic drivers are up to date...

My main concern is that it’s under performing. I’ve used Future’s Benchmarking tool (3d Benchmark) and am only getting scores of 230. Before I would get a score of 1577!!! The 1577 score was with 256 Megs of ram and a 2100 processor and a gigabyte motherboard. The only thing I could it down to is either my benchmark too is way of line – though I have used it’s recent patch or it’s to do with DirectX9?
When using it with games I feel it only performs OKish but I expect more. With Unreal Tournament 2003 the frame rates really slow down when there are multiple figures on screen. So I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem with using Direct X9?
As ever any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I may be able to help here. Go to program files/directx/setup and click on dxdiag. Click on the display tab and check AGP acceleration is enabled as well as the other features. Also using the system info bit on 3dmark, check motherboard info for agp settings. Should be at 4x or higher.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6884109" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1150155" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Check the graphics acceleration in the display-settings-advanced-performance tab.

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>

ovoco5

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Hello,
I did what you said and went to the properties of the Card. I reset the config to the default settings. I then benchmarked again this time getting a healthier 1018.(four times quicker than before). I also then went to the details section and this is what was stated:
AGP
Revision 2
Rate 1x,2x,4x (1 enabled)
Available Rate 0x0000007
Selected Rate 0x00000001
Aperture size O B
Side band adressing supported (disabled)
Fast Write Supported (dissabled)

Problem with the above is that my system appears to be running in 1x AGP - but I can't figure out how to set it to x4 which is what my card is (my m/board is x8)

One other point that is bothering me is that under the advance setion of the display properties it says under Adaptor information : AGP pci mode !!!

What is that about ? my card is clearly AGP.

As ever thankyou in advance for any help given.

ovoco5

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Hello,
I managed to fix the problem by using the latest Detonator Nforce drivers which are signed.
Manythanks for your help.