Gateway laptop MD2614u

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfw

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hello, My gateway doesnt always boot up. When it does i set the clock and it wants to load windows vista but the screen goes all pixel squares. Then freezes cu. Then i i reset for 60 sec it starts up but does a continous loop with the disk drive and wont show bios. It will repaet this every time untill i pull the harddrive, cpu fan and processor then put them back in. But still wont boot up to load operating system. Is my mother board finished, or possibly lcd? oh and i have new hard drive and 3gb of ram new in it. Hope this is enough info. I am computer literate and can build a system from scratch. But not alot of info on the net about this laptop. Thanks for all your input

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Well if you have to keep setting the clock it could be the CMOS battery. You could also have a corrupted BIOS. Try flashing it if you test the voltage on the CMOS battery and it is within spec. Also, most laptops don't let you change the voltage for RAM. Can you tell us your original RAM config, and the new RAM config. Does the problem persist when you swap ram modules back to the originals?

rfw

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Hi thank you for responding, i put in a new 3 volt c mos battery, but its not original. i had a problem finding a store that sells the original with a tiny plug its got on the end. so i took the old plug and wires and just connected a new battery. The system says its capable of 3 gb ram and thats what i put in. I dont have the original ram. im using kingston 666. one stick is 2 gb and the other is 1 gb. Ive tried swapping them back and forth. still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.