wirelss router - ethernet connection - adsl modem??

Last response: in Networking
March 27, 2005 12:55:06 AM

I have a wireless router (bought in error) which has 4 No RJ45 sockets for
LAN connections and 1 No RJ45 connection for a WAN connection.

(The wireless side of it i have sussed having now set up a wireless
modem/router and network etc but am now trying to make use of erroneous buy
in parents household and seperate modem is causing a challenge)

This presumably means i need an adsl modem which has an adsl connection into
it and lead terminating in an RJ45 plug coming from it.

Can anyone help and tell me the make and model no. of any adsl modems which
would suit my needs.

Thanks in advance.
(please reply to group to help others but if not then usual removal of spam
words etc in addy if personal replies sent )

Regards

Willie
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 12:55:07 AM

You need to contact the Internet Service Provider. They tell you which you
need for the broadband service.
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Willie Webster(WW)" <willie@william-webster.com> wrote in message
news:D 24i79$e0o$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>I have a wireless router (bought in error) which has 4 No RJ45 sockets for
> LAN connections and 1 No RJ45 connection for a WAN connection.
>
> (The wireless side of it i have sussed having now set up a wireless
> modem/router and network etc but am now trying to make use of erroneous
> buy
> in parents household and seperate modem is causing a challenge)
>
> This presumably means i need an adsl modem which has an adsl connection
> into
> it and lead terminating in an RJ45 plug coming from it.
>
> Can anyone help and tell me the make and model no. of any adsl modems
> which
> would suit my needs.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> (please reply to group to help others but if not then usual removal of
> spam
> words etc in addy if personal replies sent )
>
> Regards
>
> Willie

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:39:41 PM

Thanks Chris

I had already done that in my initial searches and they say they can supply
usb 1.1 modems at a price but this won't interface with my wireless router
as it has no ethernet out.
They can also supply netgear dg834g wireless routers but as I say I am left
with my erroneous buy and am trying to find an ADSL modem which will enable
me to use it.
Thanks again though for your suggestion

regards
Willie

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You need to contact the Internet Service Provider. They tell you which
> you need for the broadband service.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Willie Webster(WW)" <willie@william-webster.com> wrote in message
> news:D 24i79$e0o$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>>I have a wireless router (bought in error) which has 4 No RJ45 sockets for
>> LAN connections and 1 No RJ45 connection for a WAN connection.
>>
>> (The wireless side of it i have sussed having now set up a wireless
>> modem/router and network etc but am now trying to make use of erroneous
>> buy
>> in parents household and seperate modem is causing a challenge)
>>
>> This presumably means i need an adsl modem which has an adsl connection
>> into
>> it and lead terminating in an RJ45 plug coming from it.
>>
>> Can anyone help and tell me the make and model no. of any adsl modems
>> which
>> would suit my needs.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> (please reply to group to help others but if not then usual removal of
>> spam
>> words etc in addy if personal replies sent )
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Willie

March 27, 2005 11:39:42 PM

You might try this setup, which requires using Internet Connection Sharing
on your main computer, and using the base station in access mode only:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461 This
Knowledge Base article speaks of a satellite connection, however, the USB
modem would be the "same" in the equation.

"Willie Webster(DI)" <willienospamwebster@williamwebster.demon.co.uk> wrote
in message news:D 26um9$79e$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk...
> Thanks Chris
>
> I had already done that in my initial searches and they say they can
> supply usb 1.1 modems at a price but this won't interface with my wireless
> router as it has no ethernet out.
> They can also supply netgear dg834g wireless routers but as I say I am
> left with my erroneous buy and am trying to find an ADSL modem which will
> enable me to use it.
> Thanks again though for your suggestion
>
> regards
> Willie
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You need to contact the Internet Service Provider. They tell you which
>> you need for the broadband service.
>> --
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>> In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>>
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Willie Webster(WW)" <willie@william-webster.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 24i79$e0o$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>>>I have a wireless router (bought in error) which has 4 No RJ45 sockets
>>>for
>>> LAN connections and 1 No RJ45 connection for a WAN connection.
>>>
>>> (The wireless side of it i have sussed having now set up a wireless
>>> modem/router and network etc but am now trying to make use of erroneous
>>> buy
>>> in parents household and seperate modem is causing a challenge)
>>>
>>> This presumably means i need an adsl modem which has an adsl connection
>>> into
>>> it and lead terminating in an RJ45 plug coming from it.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help and tell me the make and model no. of any adsl modems
>>> which
>>> would suit my needs.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> (please reply to group to help others but if not then usual removal of
>>> spam
>>> words etc in addy if personal replies sent )
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Willie

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:28:06 AM

Chris

Thanks again

doesn't using ICS mean that the router won't work properly in that the main
pc will always need to be on for the other computer to access the net etc?

> You might try this setup, which requires using Internet Connection Sharing
> on your main computer, and using the base station in access mode only:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461 This
> Knowledge Base article speaks of a satellite connection, however, the USB
> modem would be the "same" in the equation.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Willie Webster(DI)" <willienospamwebster@williamwebster.demon.co.uk>
> wrote in message news:D 26um9$79e$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Thanks Chris
>>
>> I had already done that in my initial searches and they say they can
>> supply usb 1.1 modems at a price but this won't interface with my
>> wireless router as it has no ethernet out.
>> They can also supply netgear dg834g wireless routers but as I say I am
>> left with my erroneous buy and am trying to find an ADSL modem which will
>> enable me to use it.
>> Thanks again though for your suggestion
>>
>> regards
>> Willie
>>

>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You need to contact the Internet Service Provider. They tell you which
>>> you need for the broadband service.
>>> --
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>> In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>>>
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "Willie Webster(WW)" <willie@william-webster.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 24i79$e0o$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:28:07 AM

Yes, you do need to have the main computer on, however the router will still
be a router. What you're doing with the router in "access mode" is relaying
the signal with it, and letting the computer do the sharing work a base
station/router in regular mode would do.

You can still attach three additional wired computers and numerous wireless
connections through the router. As you'll see in the Knowledge Base
article, this is a fairly easy way to handle the situation of a USB modem.
You might also want to ask your ISP if they have a non-USB device available.
8-) Some will furnish one for the asking.

in message news:D 271gv$psn$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Chris
>
> Thanks again
>
> doesn't using ICS mean that the router won't work properly in that the
> main pc will always need to be on for the other computer to access the net
> etc?
>
> regards
>
> Willie
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You might try this setup, which requires using Internet Connection
>> Sharing on your main computer, and using the base station in access mode
>> only: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461
>> This Knowledge Base article speaks of a satellite connection, however,
>> the USB modem would be the "same" in the equation.
>> --
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>> In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>>
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Willie Webster(DI)" <willienospamwebster@williamwebster.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote in message news:D 26um9$79e$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk...
>>> Thanks Chris
>>>
>>> I had already done that in my initial searches and they say they can
>>> supply usb 1.1 modems at a price but this won't interface with my
>>> wireless router as it has no ethernet out.
>>> They can also supply netgear dg834g wireless routers but as I say I am
>>> left with my erroneous buy and am trying to find an ADSL modem which
>>> will enable me to use it.
>>> Thanks again though for your suggestion
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Willie
>>>

>>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:01:36 AM

Thanks Chris

perhaps the one thing i didn't say was that my sister lives next door to my
mother and they would like to have mum's computer off when she in bed or
away from home :-)

ISP couldn't offer an alternative but i may have found one

Aztech DSL 305E

Thanks

news:o a$MdixMFHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!