Image Quality or Frame Rates?

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Quality -- you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about.... But for all practical purposes it really does exist.... Obviously some things are better than others -- but what's the ``betterness''? So round and round you go, spinning mental wheels and nowhere finding anyplace to get traction. What the hell is Quality? What is it?

<i>-Extremetech-</i>

What would you prefer?

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
The secret of graphics cards success is to have both. Quality is proper filtering, vibrant colors. Quality is great Antialiasing. Quality is good aniso. Mix those with solid performance (and honesty!!!) and you have a great card. So I prefer 55 fps and awesome quality to 120fps and just decent quality.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
For me, it's ok to turn all the effects on and max the details and still be able to maintain over 40fps.

<b><font color=red>
</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
The problem is when you have a really slow system, and we'll have to decide whether to bring down the resolution to get good fps or bring up the details and resolution at the expense of frame rates.

<b><font color=red>
</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
The problem is when you have a really slow system, and we'll have to decide whether to bring down the resolution to get good fps or bring up the details and resolution at the expense of frame rates.

Tweaking makes perfect in this situation.

<b><font color=red>
</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i always go for quality

whats the point of doing otherwise, unless your card just simply cant handle the game and you have to, to get playable framerates?

i have my texture settings to highest, and mipmap settings higher than teh driver actually allows...

i mean, why buy a new card and turn quality down? its contradictory.. might as well buy a cheap ass card and do it if all you care about is speed (Xabre, LOl)

-------

<A HREF="http://www.teenirc.net/chat/tomshardware.html" target="_new"> come to THGC chat~ NOW. dont make me get up ffs @#@$</A>

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
The human eye wont notice any difference above 65 fps and will have trouble noticing anything over 40. So go for quality. It all comes down to how big your monitor is, you will find that at higher resolutions you need power to keep the qulity. So all you gooses with 5900 and 9800 on your 15 inch monitors, Loooooooooollllllllll

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I'm also with you.
That's why, last week i've just bought a GeforceFX 5200 64mB plus the support for directx 9.0 for quality. And still very playable with graphics intensive games such as UT2003 @ 800*600 with all effects on and details max.

<b><font color=red>
</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
For me the eternal struggle was getting decent framerates.
Bit of a framerate nut, desiring at least 60fps in heavy scenes.
Back with my gesuck2pro that meant 800x600 with all eyecandy OFF.

Now ive made the quantum leap to a R9800pro i can run at 1280x960 (perfect resolution for my 17" crt that can do 85Hz)
with 4x AA and 16x Ansio and high quality settings and STILL get 60fps... more often greater than 85.

So i truly get both now. So im a happy camper indeed.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
well of course, if your going below 50fps in a first person shooter, its time to reduce detail

but ... some people go for like 200fps constant at the sacrifice of shitty visuals. thast just stupid

-------

<A HREF="http://www.teenirc.net/chat/tomshardware.html" target="_new"> come to THGC chat~ NOW. dont make me get up ffs @#@$</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
True... but people saying u dont need anything over 60fps ever are also wrong.

What fps you need depends on how much movement is involved.

slow movement means little change per second, so you can get by with a quite low framerate and it still looks smooth.

Uber fast movement though needs quite high framerates to remain looking smooth. Cauz the amount of movement per second is great.

Thus i like extra framerate as it provides headroom when things get really busy.

Regards,

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I know I'll get murdered for saying this around abunch of hi-tech gurus @ THG, but I'm a price/performance nut. That's right, I just bought 3 GeForce 4 Ti 4200 for my Athlon Gaming systems... yeah go ahead and laugh if you want, but I'm pretty happy with them.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Sometimes you just have to do what your budget allows, and the heck with what anyone else thinks, as long as you're happy, thats the only thing that matters.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I'd have to say (if I had to pick one) that I'm a quality nut. Just today I was playing MS FS2004 at 1280x960 with 4xAA/4xAF, max settings, and I got about 40 fps and that was just fine. It's smooth enough to enjoy and is just beautiful to watch (especially because of ATi's superb Antialiasing). However, I have a 9800 Pro based system coming too, so I should be able to enjoy the same (or better) IQ at even higher framerates. That will rule.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Radeon 9600 Pro. Technically it's my dad's, but I use it as much as he does (It's in his office, and readily available to me).

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I'd have to say I want my cake and I want to eat it, I want max quality with at least 60fps (I dont expect that with my current system)...I dont think I would be so obsessed with it all if I was convinced my system was running as fast as it could. :-(

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
you never need more fps than your screens refreshrate. additional frames get just dropped, not interpolated (you don't "gain motionblur" by having more frames).

so, in my case, i never need more than 60fps, as on a tft, this is enough.

use your gpu power to render high quality images at 60 or 85 fps, depending on your screen. but never at higher fps. you don't need them. they get dropped.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
course
vsynch on for an 85Hz refresh rate at 1280x960.
very nice.
Also tried vsynch off but its noticable when the PC does full screen flickers... see horizontal lines.

so 60fps in the heaviest scenes is still very good. which is what i wanted all along.

Regards,

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
What game is that you are trying to run at MAX and over 60 FPS? How does it run on your Ti 4200? I just now purchased 3 MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB cards for my system. I hope they can last me at least a year. I like to look at all the beautiful details on max quality for games, but not if it means sacrificing playability. I like to have at least 30 FPS, and I am willing to turn down details, even to low if I have to. My main concern is just being able to run the games, hopefully at Medium Quality on at least 640x480 for HL2 and Doom 3.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
That's correct, but 60 FPS will always be at least playable (ie. not a slideshow) even if there is alot of movement like you say.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Thanks 4ryan6, your post restored confidence in my purchase. I have a 17 year old brother, a 9 year old brother, and a 6 year old syster and all 4 of us are gamers, which means I must spread the budget amongst multiple systems or we will all be rushing to use one computer. My 17 yr old brother helps a decent amount with purchases but the majority of Hardware purchase comes out of my own wallet.