Lost wave audio (turn on, off, movement, wmp all gone). Happened when I
upgraded to 98SE. Was assured that they would reappear when up garded to XP
Pro. Didn't happen. Looking for help to restore sounds. CDs play OK.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mike S." <Mike S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lost wave audio (turn on, off, movement, wmp all gone). Happened when I
> upgraded to 98SE. Was assured that they would reappear when up garded to
> XP
> Pro. Didn't happen. Looking for help to restore sounds. CDs play OK.

What program runs this, or are you talking about specific files types
related to the wave format, what kinds of sounds?

The sounds you get from control panel, sounds & audio devices, sounds.
None of those are working, nor wmp. CD audio OK.

"Tom" wrote:

> "Mike S." <Mike S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Lost wave audio (turn on, off, movement, wmp all gone). Happened when I
> > upgraded to 98SE. Was assured that they would reappear when up garded to
> > XP
> > Pro. Didn't happen. Looking for help to restore sounds. CDs play OK.
> >

> What program runs this, or are you talking about specific files types
> related to the wave format, what kinds of sounds?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK, that is more helpful, go here and read the fix under "Sound" and "Sound
Troubleshooters":

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

> The sounds you get from control panel, sounds & audio devices, sounds.
> None of those are working, nor wmp. CD audio OK.
>
> "Tom" wrote:
>

>> "Mike S." <Mike S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Lost wave audio (turn on, off, movement, wmp all gone). Happened when I
>> > upgraded to 98SE. Was assured that they would reappear when up garded
>> > XP
>> > Pro. Didn't happen. Looking for help to restore sounds. CDs play OK.
>> >

>> What program runs this, or are you talking about specific files types
>> related to the wave format, what kinds of sounds?

Tried as you suggested. "soun" & "sound troubleshooters" - No help or cure.
I have no audio at all now after trying the above.
1) CD-ROM: get error "win meria player could not locate specified file, etc."
Does media player have to be on a network, or internet to run? If so,
How do I get rid of it & restore my old CD-palyer program?
2) On-line: can select stations, music OK. No Audio from speakers.
Everything indicates that it is playing.
3) Mentioned in troubleshooting, on media player menue click "Tools" then
"options". Can't find any of this on my media player. Maybe I'm looking in
the wrong place.
Tks