Format hard drive

Hello - we have win xp home with SP2 - we want to completely reformat the C:/
and reinstall windows. Due to all kinds of problems ... we just want to
start over with this computer on a clean slate !

We have the manufacturers 'recovery' CD, and have attempted to restart the
computer with the CD in, but nothing happens, other than a normal start up.

We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over and
over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10, delete
etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running.

Compaq is supposed to call us back when they find a solution - maybe someone
on here has some ideas ? How to go about re-installing windows completely
when the recovery CD won't work ?
15 answers Last reply
More about format hard drive

    What kind of keyboard do you, it slightly needed to activate the F key to
    work when restarting or starting a computer. There is a key on microsoft
    keyboard named F Lock which you should press to activate F-key's, after that
    you can use F1, F2 and so on....

    "Lori" wrote:

    > Hello - we have win xp home with SP2 - we want to completely reformat the C:/
    > and reinstall windows. Due to all kinds of problems ... we just want to
    > start over with this computer on a clean slate !
    >
    > We have the manufacturers 'recovery' CD, and have attempted to restart the
    > computer with the CD in, but nothing happens, other than a normal start up.
    >
    > We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over and
    > over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10, delete
    > etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running.
    >
    > Compaq is supposed to call us back when they find a solution - maybe someone
    > on here has some ideas ? How to go about re-installing windows completely
    > when the recovery CD won't work ?

    Thanks for your comment Nicoliani, we have a Compaq keyboard Model 9000A. It
    is the keyboard provided by Compaq when we bought the computer. There is no
    button that says F Lock. I have num lock, caps lock, scroll lock etc. , and
    a bunch of oval buttons with pictograms.

    I do know however that the 'space' key works during start up, I have been
    able to get into safemode that way.

    I have been reading around more on the internet, and feel that my problem is
    because my computer isn't able to 'boot from the CD'. I read somewhere that
    I need to get into my BIOS to change the startup sequence ? Not sure how to
    go about getting my computer to boot from the CD. None of the F keys seem to
    do anything during startup. Not sure how to get into BIOS.

    to enter the BIOS during boot up hold down one of the following keys:

    Hold down the <Del> key
    Hold down the <F1> key
    Hold down the <F10> key

    To enter the BIOS from a DOS prompt...( ...NOT from inside windows)

    <Alt><Cntrl><Esc>
    <Alt><Cntrl><Enter>
    <Cntrl> <Alt> <A>
    <Cntrl> <Alt> <S>

    Some manufacturers have their own way for entering BIOS as shown below...

    Acer - Ctrl+Alt+Esc
    Compaq - F10
    Compaq Presario - Press <Alt> <Ctrl> <Esc> at boot when you see the "Compaq"
    log in big letters

    "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello - we have win xp home with SP2 - we want to completely reformat the
    > C:/
    > and reinstall windows. Due to all kinds of problems ... we just want to
    > start over with this computer on a clean slate !
    >
    > We have the manufacturers 'recovery' CD, and have attempted to restart the
    > computer with the CD in, but nothing happens, other than a normal start
    > up.
    >
    > We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over
    > and
    > over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10, delete
    > etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running.
    >
    > Compaq is supposed to call us back when they find a solution - maybe
    > someone
    > on here has some ideas ? How to go about re-installing windows completely
    > when the recovery CD won't work ?

    The last compaq I had would also let you re-install off the hard drive. I
    just can't recall but there was a link to start it in the start menu
    somewhere. Anyway here are the instructions for setting the boot order in
    the bios from the compaq site.
    Change the boot order in the BIOS

    1.. Turn off the computer:

    a.. If the computer works, click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and
    then click Turn Off.

    a.. If the computer is not in Windows, press and hold the power button
    approximately five seconds until the computer turns off.

    2.. Disconnect devices that are connected to USB, Firewire, parallel and
    serial ports, except the keyboard, and the mouse.

    3.. Turn on the computer.

    4.. When the color screen with the logo appears, press the F1 key on the
    keyboard until Entering SETUP is displayed. (You only have a few seconds to
    press the F1 key before the normal startup process continues.) Wait until
    the BIOS setup program opens.

    5.. Press the right arrow key to select Boot.

    6.. Press the down arrow key to select Boot Device Priority, and then
    press Enter on the keyboard.

    7.. Change the first boot device to CD-ROM using one of these methods:

    a.. Press the down arrow key to select the CD-ROM item. Press the +
    (plus) key to move the CD-ROM item up until it is the first item in the
    list.

    a.. Press the down arrow key to highlight the First Boot Device
    selection. Press the + (plus) key until CD-ROM is the selection.

    When installation is complete, return the BIOS to the original setting.

    Lori

    Other than any solution provided by Compaq, you could purchase a retail
    version of XP and install it yourself..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello - we have win xp home with SP2 - we want to completely reformat the
    > C:/
    > and reinstall windows. Due to all kinds of problems ... we just want to
    > start over with this computer on a clean slate !
    >
    > We have the manufacturers 'recovery' CD, and have attempted to restart the
    > computer with the CD in, but nothing happens, other than a normal start
    > up.
    >
    > We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over
    > and
    > over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10, delete
    > etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running.
    >
    > Compaq is supposed to call us back when they find a solution - maybe
    > someone
    > on here has some ideas ? How to go about re-installing windows completely
    > when the recovery CD won't work ?

    And that would more than likely void the warranty from Compaq, since it
    would no longer be the OEM install.

    > Lori
    >
    > Other than any solution provided by Compaq, you could purchase a retail
    > version of XP and install it yourself..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello - we have win xp home with SP2 - we want to completely reformat the
    >> C:/
    >> and reinstall windows. Due to all kinds of problems ... we just want to
    >> start over with this computer on a clean slate !
    >>
    >> We have the manufacturers 'recovery' CD, and have attempted to restart
    >> the
    >> computer with the CD in, but nothing happens, other than a normal start
    >> up.
    >>
    >> We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over
    >> and
    >> over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10, delete
    >> etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running.
    >>
    >> Compaq is supposed to call us back when they find a solution - maybe
    >> someone
    >> on here has some ideas ? How to go about re-installing windows
    >> completely
    >> when the recovery CD won't work ?

    .... And that is a bad thing?

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > And that would more than likely void the warranty from Compaq, since it
    > would no longer be the OEM install.
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Lori
    >>
    >> Other than any solution provided by Compaq, you could purchase a retail
    >> version of XP and install it yourself..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello - we have win xp home with SP2 - we want to completely reformat
    >>> the C:/
    >>> and reinstall windows. Due to all kinds of problems ... we just want to
    >>> start over with this computer on a clean slate !
    >>>
    >>> We have the manufacturers 'recovery' CD, and have attempted to restart
    >>> the
    >>> computer with the CD in, but nothing happens, other than a normal start
    >>> up.
    >>>
    >>> We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over
    >>> and
    >>> over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10,
    >>> delete
    >>> etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running.
    >>>
    >>> Compaq is supposed to call us back when they find a solution - maybe
    >>> someone
    >>> on here has some ideas ? How to go about re-installing windows
    >>> completely
    >>> when the recovery CD won't work ?

    Isn't that up to the OP, and not you? IF she depends on Compaq for service,
    especially if a piece of hardware goes south (and it is warrnatied), they
    won't replace it, so will you? Anyway, you suggest someone spend at least
    $200 to void everything else of value under warranty. I have no problem with
    offering that advice, as long as one adds the ramifications to suggesting
    such an action.

    > ... And that is a bad thing?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> And that would more than likely void the warranty from Compaq, since it
    >> would no longer be the OEM install.
    >>
    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Lori
    >>>
    >>> Other than any solution provided by Compaq, you could purchase a retail
    >>> version of XP and install it yourself..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Tom

    The computer could be a few days off being out of warranty for all we know..
    there is little indication that it is brand new..

    Compaq support are not exactly excelling themselves.. quote from the OP..
    "We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over
    and over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10,
    delete etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running."

    The recovery CD is obviously not going anywhere, and companies like Compaq
    do not keep copies much longer than 6 months. if at all.. I would have
    thought that if a replacement CD was available, the OP would have been told
    that it is in the mail.. but the OP wasn't told that..

    The most likely part to fail is the hard drive.. Compaq may well supply one
    F.O.C. within the warranty period, but it would not have the original
    software on it.. customers would be expected to use the original recovery CD
    or buy their own..

    Re. invalidating the warranty, I believe that in instances like this, Compaq
    and others do suggest that the customer buy their own copy of XP.. I doubt
    that Compaq would not honour the warranty in view of the facts as discussed
    between Compaq and the OP..

    And at no point did I issue an order to OP.. I am sure that the OP is quite
    capable of taking my suggestion to Compaq and asking them directly..

    --

    > Tom
    >
    > The computer could be a few days off being out of warranty for all we
    > know.. there is little indication that it is brand new..

    <snipped>

    Nuff said since you only assume things! Please do yourself a favor, and try
    not to think for others, ask them. It's one thing to give help, totally
    another with this.

    Tom

    I have just come across some of your 'help' in another group.. remember the
    guy with two XP's on his drive?.. and you consider what you typed in that
    thread was help?

    You should think carefully about the quality of your own contributions
    before summarily criticizing others..

    --

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> The computer could be a few days off being out of warranty for all we
    >> know.. there is little indication that it is brand new..
    >>

    > <snipped>
    >
    > Nuff said since you only assume things! Please do yourself a favor, and
    > try not to think for others, ask them. It's one thing to give help,
    > totally another with this.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    LOL! Using another post in another thread I made, as a
    defensive ploy, how quaint. Look, if you can't face up to
    giving improper advice, just say so, it is OK, as I see
    you cannot see the flaw in an expense you may be
    suggesting to this person. As far as the other post I
    made, nothing wrong it, but it was funny not seeing you
    copy it here for examination.

    Anyway, it is time for you to swallow your overzealous
    ego, and move on!

    wrote in message
    >>> Tom
    >>>
    >>> The computer could be a few days off being out of
    warranty for all we
    >>> know.. there is little indication that it is brand
    new..

    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >> Nuff said since you only assume things! Please do
    yourself a favor, and
    >> try not to think for others, ask them. It's one thing
    to give help,
    >> totally another with this.
    >>

    >.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Tom

    I was saving 'your' face by not displaying it in here, not mine..

    --

    > LOL! Using another post in another thread I made, as a
    > defensive ploy, how quaint. Look, if you can't face up to
    > giving improper advice, just say so, it is OK, as I see
    > you cannot see the flaw in an expense you may be
    > suggesting to this person. As far as the other post I
    > made, nothing wrong it, but it was funny not seeing you
    > copy it here for examination.
    >
    > Anyway, it is time for you to swallow your overzealous
    > ego, and move on!

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Is the machine set to boot from CD in the BIOS ????

    "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello - we have win xp home with SP2 - we want to completely reformat the
    > C:/
    > and reinstall windows. Due to all kinds of problems ... we just want to
    > start over with this computer on a clean slate !
    >
    > We have the manufacturers 'recovery' CD, and have attempted to restart the
    > computer with the CD in, but nothing happens, other than a normal start
    > up.
    >
    > We called Compaq tech support, and they had us restart the computer over
    > and
    > over with CD in, while pressing various buttons (ie : F1, F2, F10, delete
    > etc) None of these attempts got the CD to start running.
    >
    > Compaq is supposed to call us back when they find a solution - maybe
    > someone
    > on here has some ideas ? How to go about re-installing windows completely
    > when the recovery CD won't work ?
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    LOL!

Computers CD-Rom Hard Drives Windows XP