Dell inspiron 1525 screen is black but when running the diagnostics for the comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmcicala

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Currently when I turn on the computer, it loads to the microsoft screen and when it starts to load, the screen turns black and just shows the white arrow. I have checked the power source and it's ok, have begun to run the diagnostic test and it as well is showing the screen and the test with the error message of SATA disk s/n = 5lybxxrf drive error can't read,replace disk or remove write protection.... and there is nothing in the hard drive at this time...

Any suggestions before having to bring it to someone? I have a Microsoft works windows 7.0 starter cd- but am worried that I will either loose or damage what's there.

Hello Cmcicala;

You can try to a bootable RescueCD and see if your laptop display works when you don't need to use the hard disk.
Ubuntu Desktop has instructions on how to make a bootable CD or USB thumb drive.
Use the F12 to get the Advanced Boot Menu so you can choose to boot the CD or USB device.
With the CD - use the TRY IT option and not the install option.
It's not Windows - but enough like Windows you might be able to view your files on the hard disk if it's still accessible.

If Ubuntu seems to run OK and your display is working normally, you have either a bad hard drive or a messed up installation of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.