Middle initials

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

DB>George W. Bush uses his middle name to differentiate himself from his
DB>father.

DB>I wondered if there were any other internationally-famous people that do
DB>this?

John Adams, and John Quincy Adams, both former US Presidents (and, I believe,
also father and son).

Mike

---
* SLMR 2.1a * There is no dark side of the moon, really....
* PDQWK 2.52 #17

--- GTMail 1.26
(PCBGate): RaceNet(tm): Capitol City BBS * KY * 502/875-8938 (7223:4400/10.0)

--- QScan/PCB v1.20a / 01-0268
* Origin: RelayNet(tm):TAO (1377):The TAO BBS 603-838-6455: (900:104/1)

105/1
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD * Info@bbsworld.com

David Bodycombe writes:
>> George W. Bush uses his middle name to differentiate himself from his
>> father.

Well, actually, only his middle initial is what's normally used.

>> I wondered if there were any other internationally-famous
>> people that do this?

In an unthreaded followup that quotes David without attribution, Mike
Powell writes:
> John Adams, and John Quincy Adams, both former US Presidents (and,
> I believe, also father and son).

Indeed.

Of course, the names of the two Bushes stand in a more unusual relationship:
the son has three names, while the father has the *same* three names plus
another middle name. If they had become famous simultaneously and the
commonly used first name of both had still been George, then they would
probably have become known as George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.

So has there ever been a previous case of two famous people going by the
same first and last name, where one of them is distinguished by using a
middle name or initial *that the other one actually also has*, because
he/she doesn't have a name that the other one doesn't have?

And: what were George W. Bush's parents *thinking*, when they set up this
situation in the first place?
--
Mark Brader "You can stop laughing now.
Toronto Well, maybe you *can't*, but you *may*."

Mark Brader wrote:
> David Bodycombe writes:
>>> George W. Bush uses his middle name to differentiate himself from
>>> his father.
>
> Well, actually, only his middle initial is what's normally used.
>
>>> I wondered if there were any other internationally-famous
>>> people that do this?
>
> In an unthreaded followup that quotes David without attribution,
Mike
> Powell writes:
>> John Adams, and John Quincy Adams, both former US Presidents (and,
>> I believe, also father and son).
>
> Indeed.
>
> Of course, the names of the two Bushes stand in a more unusual
> relationship: the son has three names, while the father has the
> *same* three names plus another middle name. If they had become
> famous simultaneously and the commonly used first name of both had
> still been George, then they would probably have become known as
> George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.
>
> So has there ever been a previous case of two famous people going by
> the same first and last name, where one of them is distinguished by
> using a middle name or initial *that the other one actually also
> has*, because he/she doesn't have a name that the other one doesn't
> have?
>
> And: what were George W. Bush's parents *thinking*, when they set up
> this situation in the first place?

Probably "Herbert is such a lame name, let's drop it!".

--
Martin Willett

http://mwillett.org/