CD tray not closing during shutdown

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi all -

I have a friend's who's cdrw is not closing when he shutdowns the computer.
He doesn't get any error messages and the drive works fine. He has to boot
up again to get it to close. I'm thinking he forgot to close it after using
it and thought it would automatically close when shutting down which is what
I was thinking also.

Does anyone know of a way to get it close automatically or is it normal for
this to occur when the drive is left open? I can get more info if needed.

TIA,
Newtechie
4 answers Last reply
More about tray closing shutdown
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Usually normal behaviour with some drives. Just push it and it will
    close.

    Doug
    ====
    "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | Hi all -
    |
    | I have a friend's who's cdrw is not closing when he shutdowns the
    computer.
    | He doesn't get any error messages and the drive works fine. He has to
    boot
    | up again to get it to close. I'm thinking he forgot to close it after
    using
    | it and thought it would automatically close when shutting down which
    is what
    | I was thinking also.
    |
    | Does anyone know of a way to get it close automatically or is it
    normal for
    | this to occur when the drive is left open? I can get more info if
    needed.

    | TIA,
    | Newtechie

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Doug,

    Even with computer shutdown, it's ok to manually close the drive?

    Newtechie

    "Doug" <stand@attention.net> wrote in message
    > Usually normal behaviour with some drives. Just push it and it will
    > close.
    >
    > Doug
    > ====
    > "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi all -
    > |
    > | I have a friend's who's cdrw is not closing when he shutdowns the
    > computer.
    > | He doesn't get any error messages and the drive works fine. He has to
    > boot
    > | up again to get it to close. I'm thinking he forgot to close it after
    > using
    > | it and thought it would automatically close when shutting down which
    > is what
    > | I was thinking also.
    > |
    > | Does anyone know of a way to get it close automatically or is it
    > normal for
    > | this to occur when the drive is left open? I can get more info if
    > needed.
    > |
    > | TIA,
    > | Newtechie

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yes.

    Doug
    ====
    | Hi Doug,
    |
    | Even with computer shutdown, it's ok to manually close the drive?
    |
    | Newtechie
    |
    | "Doug" <stand@attention.net> wrote in message
    | > Usually normal behaviour with some drives. Just push it and it will
    | > close.
    | >
    | > Doug
    | > ====
    | > "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi all -
    | > |
    | > | I have a friend's who's cdrw is not closing when he shutdowns the
    | > computer.
    | > | He doesn't get any error messages and the drive works fine. He
    has to
    | > boot
    | > | up again to get it to close. I'm thinking he forgot to close it
    after
    | > using
    | > | it and thought it would automatically close when shutting down
    which
    | > is what
    | > | I was thinking also.
    | > |
    | > | Does anyone know of a way to get it close automatically or is it
    | > normal for
    | > | this to occur when the drive is left open? I can get more info if
    | > needed.
    | > |
    | > | TIA,
    | > | Newtechie
    | > |
    | > |

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ok - I'll let him know that, but I hope it doesn't cause damage to his

    > Yes.
    >
    > Doug
    > ====
    > "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi Doug,
    > |
    > | Even with computer shutdown, it's ok to manually close the drive?
    > |
    > | Newtechie
    > |
    > | "Doug" <stand@attention.net> wrote in message
    > | > Usually normal behaviour with some drives. Just push it and it will
    > | > close.
    > | >
    > | > Doug
    > | > ====
    > | > "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message