1. What is your budget? $650 (lower is always better)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-15.6 inches
3. What screen resolution do you want? better than 1366 would be nice.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable
5. How much battery life do you need? 5+ hours
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photoshop Virtual machines, Firefox with lots of tabs
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? --
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Amazon! (I get 5% cashback)
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 1 year
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? ---
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. ---
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
It must have an i5 2nd generation or above. 14 inch screens seem kind of small to me but the 15.6 inches all have terrible battery life. It must have over 5 hours of battery life. The ideal laptop would be a super thin 15.0 inch with great battery life and a i5 cpu.
"It must have over 5 hours of battery life"
You can find laptops that meet that requirement. But it's not the same thing as saying your laptop will last 5 hours on battery if you're running Photoshop, FireFox and a VM.
Battery life is dependent on usage and getting the max battery life occurs in 'note-taking mode' in a class room or meeting where the screen brightness is turned down to 20% and the WiFi is shut off. And the size of the included battery is important. At 66Whr the Satellite R845 is on the high end of battery capacity normally seen in 14" and 15" notebooks.
It's this battery that give is the notable battery life - not it's 14" size.
There is another model with Core i5 proccy as well if i am not wrong... Toshiba Satellite R845-S85
In the review link supplied by WR2, one of the cons mentioned is that it has Sluggish productivity performance.. now i am not sure what it means.. does that mean i3 is slower for the test material they threw at it..?