Stop errors with SP2

March 14, 2005 11:35:05 AM

My system works fine with SP1 but when I load SP2 it contiuously reboots when
I try to shutdown. I have tried installing by download and disc and in
safemode and always get the same problem. I disabled auto restart and now get
either of two stop errors. Usually get STOP: 0x0000008E or STOP: 0x00000050.
Upon restart I get an error report which I send to microsoft and the reply is
always the same. 'Error Caused By A Device Driver'. Microsoft unable to
specifically determine what caused the problem. Anyone have any ideas about
what SP2 is finding incompatible with my system?

More about : stop errors sp2

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:34:50 PM

"RS" <RS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My system works fine with SP1 but when I load SP2 it contiuously reboots
> when
> I try to shutdown. I have tried installing by download and disc and in
> safemode and always get the same problem. I disabled auto restart and now
> get
> either of two stop errors. Usually get STOP: 0x0000008E or STOP:
> 0x00000050.
> Upon restart I get an error report which I send to microsoft and the reply
> is
> always the same. 'Error Caused By A Device Driver'. Microsoft unable to
> specifically determine what caused the problem. Anyone have any ideas
> about
> what SP2 is finding incompatible with my system?

Look in the left hand column (8E) or (50)
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--
William
Anonymous

Hi RS,

To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
hesitate to e-mail me back. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"RS" <RS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My system works fine with SP1 but when I load SP2 it contiuously reboots
> when
> I try to shutdown. I have tried installing by download and disc and in
> safemode and always get the same problem. I disabled auto restart and now
> get
> either of two stop errors. Usually get STOP: 0x0000008E or STOP:
> 0x00000050.
> Upon restart I get an error report which I send to microsoft and the reply
> is
> always the same. 'Error Caused By A Device Driver'. Microsoft unable to
> specifically determine what caused the problem. Anyone have any ideas
> about
> what SP2 is finding incompatible with my system?
March 15, 2005 1:11:02 PM

Hi Joshua,
Thanks for responding to my problem. I tried your suggestions and it did
crash on reboot with the first 5 steps. Safe mode option page appeared
automatically so I tried the second suggestion at step 4 but got no blue
crash screen. Didn't get "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". PC rebooted
with send/don't send message for microsoft. When I powered down the stop
error STOP 0x0000008E came up again. Any other suggestions?

Thanks RS (Ron Soper)

!