Drive Letter Identity Reassignment

On my previous (Win98se) computer there was only one CD-rom drive in
use. I remember that its drive letter was assigned as drive R:, but I
do not recall exactly why the reassignment was done.

My present system has a SATA as the C: drive, a DVD-rom as the D:
drive and a DVD+/- burner as the E: drive.

I plan to install an IDE drive via a PCI-to- IDE controller adapter
card soon. Also, my HP PhotoSmart printer has an USB memory stick
reader built into it, so it gets a drive letter assignment at times,
and occassionally I connect a SONY Cyber-shot via a USB connection to
the PC. At present, this PC is not networked, but I might want to
network with an old (Win95) 486dx2-66 GATEWAY2000 box sometime soon.

Should I reassign the drive letter identity of both optical drives?
How should this be done with this (Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4) XP Pro
machine?

Regards,
de ~ Vince ~
Long Island, NY
1 answer Last reply
More about drive letter identity reassignment

    "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > On my previous (Win98se) computer there was only one CD-rom drive in
    > use. I remember that its drive letter was assigned as drive R:, but I
    > do not recall exactly why the reassignment was done.
    >
    > My present system has a SATA as the C: drive, a DVD-rom as the D:
    > drive and a DVD+/- burner as the E: drive.
    >
    > I plan to install an IDE drive via a PCI-to- IDE controller adapter
    > card soon. Also, my HP PhotoSmart printer has an USB memory stick
    > reader built into it, so it gets a drive letter assignment at times,
    > and occassionally I connect a SONY Cyber-shot via a USB connection to
    > the PC. At present, this PC is not networked, but I might want to
    > network with an old (Win95) 486dx2-66 GATEWAY2000 box sometime soon.
    >
    > Should I reassign the drive letter identity of both optical drives?
    > How should this be done with this (Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4) XP Pro
    > machine?
    >
    > Regards,
    > de ~ Vince ~
    > Long Island, NY

    You don't need to assign anything, as XP will do that auotmatically, and
    incrementally. If you want to change the lettering, read here:
    How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech

Windows XP