Non-duplicate cities - part II

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

2. What is the largest European city with no North American
namesake?

For the purposes of this question, use the English spelling of
the names.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque wrote:

> 2. What is the largest European city with no North American
> namesake?
>
> For the purposes of this question, use the English spelling of
> the names.

Istanbul?

"I dwelt alone in a world of moan And my soul was a stagnant tide"

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Istanbul: No. Turkey is in Asia.

Duesseldorf? Budapest? Kiev? Talinn? Rotterdam?

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Dan Tilque wrote:
>
>> 2. What is the largest European city with no North American
>> namesake?
>>
>> For the purposes of this question, use the English spelling of
>> the names.
>
> Istanbul?

Correct.

Now here's a followup question that I don't know the answer to.
The same question, but only for cities in the EU (including those
that are going to join this year). I do know that London, Berlin,
Madrid, Rome, Paris, Budapest, Hamburg, Warsaw, Vienna,
Barcelona, Milan, Munich, Prague, and Naples[1] can be found in
the US or Canada.

For those who want to check others, use these two databases to
check for NA places:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form
http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php

--
Dan Tilque

[1] According to the page below, those are all the EU cities that
are more than 1 million in population.

http://www.citypopulation.de/cities.html

Teabag wrote:

> Istanbul: No. Turkey is in Asia.

Most of it is. The bit that Istanbul is in isn't.

Votad Al Frente Popular

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Yes, you're right. I remembered the issue of the Bosphorous (sp?)
being one of the delimiters after I left the house. I withdraw my
objection.

I note with interest that you cited the CIA World Factbook, but
provided a link to wikipedia. CIA dirty, wikipedia clean? Shall I
put you down for Kerry then?

Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<r5ifzayxz69.fsf@gill.maths.keele.ac.uk>...
> teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
>
> > Istanbul: No. Turkey is in Asia.
>
> According to the CIA World Factbook, it's in both Europe and Asia.
> And Istanbul is in the European bit.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_Province

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

I still say Duesseldorf, pop. 570,000 (probably more by now).

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:<108bf0u873eg49@corp.supernews.com>...
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
> > Dan Tilque wrote:
> >
> >> 2. What is the largest European city with no North American
> >> namesake?
> >>
> >> For the purposes of this question, use the English spelling of
> >> the names.
> >
> > Istanbul?
>
> Correct.
>
> Now here's a followup question that I don't know the answer to.
> The same question, but only for cities in the EU (including those
> that are going to join this year). I do know that London, Berlin,
> Madrid, Rome, Paris, Budapest, Hamburg, Warsaw, Vienna,
> Barcelona, Milan, Munich, Prague, and Naples[1] can be found in
> the US or Canada.
>
> For those who want to check others, use these two databases to
> check for NA places:
>
> http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form
> http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

I still say Duesseldorf, pop. 570,000 (probably more by now).

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:<108bf0u873eg49@corp.supernews.com>...
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
> > Dan Tilque wrote:
> >
> >> 2. What is the largest European city with no North American
> >> namesake?
> >>
> >> For the purposes of this question, use the English spelling of
> >> the names.
> >
> > Istanbul?
>
> Correct.
>
> Now here's a followup question that I don't know the answer to.
> The same question, but only for cities in the EU (including those
> that are going to join this year). I do know that London, Berlin,
> Madrid, Rome, Paris, Budapest, Hamburg, Warsaw, Vienna,
> Barcelona, Milan, Munich, Prague, and Naples[1] can be found in
> the US or Canada.
>
> For those who want to check others, use these two databases to
> check for NA places:
>
> http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form
> http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Hi!

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message

> The same question, but only for cities in the EU (including those
> that are going to join this year).
>
> For those who want to check others, use these two databases to
> check for NA places:
>
> http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form
> http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php

Either it's Helsinki, or the European city must have
a population greater than ~0.9 million. That should
make the search a bit easier.

> [1] According to the page below, those are all the EU cities that
> are more than 1 million in population.

Helsinki metropolitan population is a hair below 1 million,
but even then your list omits at least Stockholm, and
Copenhagen which are both just above 1 million.

Quickly *guessing*, at least some of Manchester,
Glasgow, Frankfurt, Marseille, Genova, Budapest
are also over 1 million.

- Risto -

Risto Lankinen wrote:

> Helsinki metropolitan population is a hair below 1 million,
> but even then your list omits at least Stockholm, and
> Copenhagen which are both just above 1 million.

I wasn't going by metro population but rather that of the city
itself. Helsinki had a population of about 555,000 in the last
(2000) census. There's no Helsinki in the US or Canada. But there
are Stockholms and Copenhagens in both countries.

Teabag wrote:

> I still say Duesseldorf, pop. 570,000 (probably more by now).

Well, there's no Du(e)sseldorf (spelled with or without the E) in
the US or Canada. That beats Helsinki, but there's plenty of room
between 570,000 and 1 million for other cities to beat
Duesseldorf.

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:

> I note with interest that you cited the CIA World Factbook, but provided a
> link to wikipedia. CIA dirty, wikipedia clean?

The wikipedia article was more explicit about Istanbul being in the European
part of Turkey. CIA merely mentioned that different parts of Turkey were in
Europe or Asia.

> Shall I put you down for Kerry then?

Never met her.
--
Gareth Owen
There ain't no sanity clause

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Now here's a followup question that I don't know the answer to.
> The same question, but only for cities in the EU (including those
> that are going to join this year). I do know that London, Berlin,
> Madrid, Rome, Paris, Budapest, Hamburg, Warsaw, Vienna,
> Barcelona, Milan, Munich, Prague, and Naples[1] can be found in
> the US or Canada.

The biggest I've found, beating the putative answer of Dusseldorf given
elsewhere in the thread, is Lodz. Pop. 1m (ish), according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodz

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Dan Tilque wrote:
>
>> Now here's a followup question that I don't know the answer
>> to. The same question, but only for cities in the EU
>> (including those that are going to join this year). I do know
>> that London, Berlin, Madrid, Rome, Paris, Budapest, Hamburg,
>> Warsaw, Vienna, Barcelona, Milan, Munich, Prague, and
>> Naples[1] can be found in the US or Canada.
>
> The biggest I've found, beating the putative answer of
> Dusseldorf given elsewhere in the thread, is Lodz. Pop. 1m
> (ish), according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodz

Lodz had a population of 789,318 in the last census (2002)
according to http://www.citypopulation.de/Poland.html

And there isn't one in NA, so it's the front runner now.

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

N.B. since there is no umlaut in English, I used the proper
alternative rendering of the German vowel, which is valid in German
also. Your puzzle requires English spellings. Nonetheless my guess
was wrong.

No one has addressed Kiev yet.

Teabag wrote:

> No one has addressed Kiev yet.

Kiev isn't in the EU, nor is Ukraine going to join this year. I
haven't checked Canada, but there is a Kief (alternate spelling
of Kiev) in North Dakota. I'm not sure how I would rule on this,
but fortunately, I don't have to.

Googling about this, I ran across this weblog on the same
subject: http://www.markarkleiman.com/archives/000011.html

--
Dan Tilque

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Sorry, I forgot you had changed the puzzle after it was solved. My bad.

Dan Tilque (dtilque@nwlink.com) writes:
> 2. What is the largest European city with no North American
> namesake?

I'd expect that to be Istanbul.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

As I said in another posting, you are right about my overlooking the
changing of the puzzle after it was solved to limit it to EU nations,
but.....

"alternative spelling"????!!!!!

In other words, anything is allowed. The original puzzle said "use
the English spelling of the names", which is why I spelled Duesseldorf
with an "e" instead of an umlaut.

Lodi, NJ and Lodi, CA are "alternative spellings" of Lodz.

Argument by assertion, changing the puzzle, blah, blah, all my usual
criticisms.

Bucharest.

Teabag wrote:

> "alternative spelling"????!!!!!
>
> In other words, anything is allowed. The original puzzle said
> "use the English spelling of the names", which is why I
> spelled Duesseldorf with an "e" instead of an umlaut.

Anything is not allowed. An alternative spelling is one that is
used to refer to that particular town. In the case of Kiev and
other towns in Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus, the name has to be
transliterated from Cyrilic. Thus there sometimes are several
ways that the names are spelled in English. For instance, a
relatively new one for Kiev is Kiyev.

Furthermore, I never said that I accepted Kief. I was just glad
that I didn't have to decide whether to do so.

> Lodi, J and Lodi, CA are "alternative spellings" of Lodz.

Lodi, Italy

> Bucharest.

There is no Bucharest in the US or Canada, but Romania is not
scheduled to join the EU until 2007. I specifically limited it to
present members plus those joining it this year. If you extend
the puzzle to the 2007 scheduled countries, then Bucharest is
almost certainly the answer, as it has almost 2m people.

Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
> As I said in another posting, you are right about my overlooking the
> changing of the puzzle after it was solved to limit it to EU nations,
> but.....
>
> "alternative spelling"????!!!!!
> Lodi, NJ and Lodi, CA are "alternative spellings" of Lodz.

Kief is a spelling which reflects the native pronounciation of Kiev. (In
most Slavic languages, voiced consontants are devoiced at the end of
words.)

Lodi does on the other hand not reflect the native pronounciation of
L/ódz'.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Once again, you are right. I have become so frustrated that I broke
my personal no-googling rule, and thought I saw Romania listed as a
new member on the EU website. Instead it is listed as an applicant
country.

My thinking on Kief is that it's more likely to be of German or
Scandinavian origin, given the history of settlement in the region.
But as you pointed out, Kyiv is not part of an EU country.

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:<108k5ke2a9c4m81@corp.supernews.com>...
> Teabag wrote:
>

> > "alternative spelling"????!!!!!
> >
> > In other words, anything is allowed. The original puzzle said
> > "use the English spelling of the names", which is why I
> > spelled Duesseldorf with an "e" instead of an umlaut.
>
> Anything is not allowed. An alternative spelling is one that is
> used to refer to that particular town. In the case of Kiev and
> other towns in Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus, the name has to be
> transliterated from Cyrilic. Thus there sometimes are several
> ways that the names are spelled in English. For instance, a
> relatively new one for Kiev is Kiyev.
>
> Furthermore, I never said that I accepted Kief. I was just glad
> that I didn't have to decide whether to do so.
>

> > Lodi, J and Lodi, CA are "alternative spellings" of Lodz.
>
> Lodi, Italy
>

> > Bucharest.
>
> There is no Bucharest in the US or Canada, but Romania is not
> scheduled to join the EU until 2007. I specifically limited it to
> present members plus those joining it this year. If you extend
> the puzzle to the 2007 scheduled countries, then Bucharest is
> almost certainly the answer, as it has almost 2m people.
>

> > "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message

> >> Kiev isn't in the EU, nor is Ukraine going to join this year.
> >> I haven't checked Canada, but there is a Kief (alternate
> >> spelling of Kiev) in North Dakota. I'm not sure how I would
> >> rule on this, but fortunately, I don't have to.

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
> Once again, you are right. I have become so frustrated that I broke
> my personal no-googling rule, and thought I saw Romania listed as a
> new member on the EU website. Instead it is listed as an applicant
> country.

And as an addition to what Dan said: while Roumania is planned to joined
in 2007, there have been signs that they are falling behind, so they
might not make it. Bulgaria might join alone in 2007. (Unless Croatia
mananges to catch up, but that is not held as likely.)

> My thinking on Kief is that it's more likely to be of German or
> Scandinavian origin, given the history of settlement in the region.
> But as you pointed out, Kyiv is not part of an EU country.

Kiev as name is of Slavic origin. Britannica tells me:

According to the 12th-century chronicle Povest vremennykh let ("Tale of
Bygone Years," also known as the The Russian Primary Chronicle), Kiev
was founded by three brothers, Kiy, Shchek, and Khoriv, leaders of the
Polyane tribe of the East Slavs. Each established his own settlement on
a hill, and these became the town of Kiev, named for the eldest
brother, Kiy; a small stream nearby was named for their sister Lybed.
Although the chronicle account is legendary, there are contemporary
references to Kiev in the writings of Byzantine, German, and Arab
historians and geographers. Archaeological evidence suggests that Kiev
was founded in the 6th or 7th century AD.

While this is legend, note that -ev is a common Slavic possessive suffix.

It is true that Scandinavians played a role in the rise of Kiev as a great
powet. However, the city existed before they came there, and overall
Scandiavian names in the area are duly slavicized.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Yes, thank you (must not address Erland as "Mr. Helper"!) for your
input.

As I tried to make clear by referring to the city in North Dakota,
U.S. by its correct name "Kief" and the city in Ukraine by its correct
name "Kyiv", when I mentioned that "My thinking on Kief is that it's
more likely to be of German or
Scandinavian origin, given the history of settlement in the region" I
was talking about the midwest and plains states of the United States.
Let me make it clearer:

Kief <> Kyiv

Kief probably Germanic Kyiv Slavic

To reiterate: Kief <> Kyiv

U.S. midwest and plains during the time when most place names were
handed out: settled by mainly Germans and Scandivanians as opposed to
Slavs.

On the other hand, further research shows I may be wrong yet again:

http://www.miziuk.daytona-beach.fl.us/faq1.html

http://www.ukrweekly.com/Archive/1993/049324.shtml

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761574738_5/North_Dakota.html

In article <31900951.0404242001.58e9671d@posting.google.com>,
teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) wrote:

> U.S. midwest and plains during the time when most place names were
> handed out: settled by mainly Germans and Scandivanians as opposed to
> Slavs.

True, but let's not forget the Volga Germans.