Closed

Unable to launch icons created as a shortcut to internet p..

March 14, 2005 1:37:04 PM

Hi,

I have Windows XP Home Edition running Service Pack 2. I have a Dell
Dimension Desktop 8300, that I bought less than a year ago. It has 1 GB of
RAM and a 3.2 Ghz, Pentium 4 with HT Technology. I use Mcafee firewall plus
and Mcafee virus protection. I also immunize spyware using Spyware Blaster
and Spybot. I'll also scan for viruses using Spybouncer and Adaware. Also
my pop up settings on Internet Explorer are set to medium.

When I create a desktop Icon as a shortcut to view a particular internet
page on Internet Explorer, it takes several tries to launch it and sometimes
I can't launch it at all. It doesn't matter what web page the short cut is
set up for. Originally I thought the double-click settings for my mouse were
set too fast, but they weren't; however, I set it at a slower speed anyway,
but this didn't work. I am able to launch all other icons on my desktop
(including Internet Explorer) with ease, but I have trouble launching the
short cuts to view certain internet pages. Sometimes it works, sometimes it
takes several tries, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I have no other
processes running at the time.

Please advise. I hope there's a simple solution to this.

Thanks,
Ed
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:17:06 PM

In addition to what's written below, I also defragmented the hard drive and
ran a Mcafee virus scan, and it ran clean. I also scanned for spyware with
Spybouncer, but it didn't fined anything. The problem still exists.

Any ideas? I'm runnnig out of options.

Thanks,
Ed

"ej88keys" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Windows XP Home Edition running Service Pack 2. I have a Dell
> Dimension Desktop 8300, that I bought less than a year ago. It has 1 GB of
> RAM and a 3.2 Ghz, Pentium 4 with HT Technology. I use Mcafee firewall plus
> and Mcafee virus protection. I also immunize spyware using Spyware Blaster
> and Spybot. I'll also scan for viruses using Spybouncer and Adaware. Also
> my pop up settings on Internet Explorer are set to medium.
>
> When I create a desktop Icon as a shortcut to view a particular internet
> page on Internet Explorer, it takes several tries to launch it and sometimes
> I can't launch it at all. It doesn't matter what web page the short cut is
> set up for. Originally I thought the double-click settings for my mouse were
> set too fast, but they weren't; however, I set it at a slower speed anyway,
> but this didn't work. I am able to launch all other icons on my desktop
> (including Internet Explorer) with ease, but I have trouble launching the
> short cuts to view certain internet pages. Sometimes it works, sometimes it
> takes several tries, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I have no other
> processes running at the time.
>
> Please advise. I hope there's a simple solution to this.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:37:05 PM

Ed,

Open Internet Options, Programs tab
Choose "Reset Web Settings" and complete the process.

Click Start/Run and type:

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In addition to what's written below, I also defragmented the hard drive
> and
> ran a Mcafee virus scan, and it ran clean. I also scanned for spyware
> with
> Spybouncer, but it didn't fined anything. The problem still exists.
>
> Any ideas? I'm runnnig out of options.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed
>
> "ej88keys" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Windows XP Home Edition running Service Pack 2. I have a Dell
>> Dimension Desktop 8300, that I bought less than a year ago. It has 1 GB
>> of
>> RAM and a 3.2 Ghz, Pentium 4 with HT Technology. I use Mcafee firewall
>> plus
>> and Mcafee virus protection. I also immunize spyware using Spyware
>> Blaster
>> and Spybot. I'll also scan for viruses using Spybouncer and Adaware.
>> Also
>> my pop up settings on Internet Explorer are set to medium.
>>
>> When I create a desktop Icon as a shortcut to view a particular internet
>> page on Internet Explorer, it takes several tries to launch it and
>> sometimes
>> I can't launch it at all. It doesn't matter what web page the short cut
>> is
>> set up for. Originally I thought the double-click settings for my mouse
>> were
>> set too fast, but they weren't; however, I set it at a slower speed
>> anyway,
>> but this didn't work. I am able to launch all other icons on my desktop
>> (including Internet Explorer) with ease, but I have trouble launching the
>> short cuts to view certain internet pages. Sometimes it works, sometimes
>> it
>> takes several tries, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I have no
>> other
>> processes running at the time.
>>
>> Please advise. I hope there's a simple solution to this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed

March 15, 2005 2:37:06 PM

Hi Ramesh,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the procedure you gave me below did not solve the problem,
although the procedure ran with no errors. It's unusual that sometimes the
desktop internet shortcuts work and then they don't. I do have these web
pages stored in my favorites within Internet Explorer's web browser and I
have no problem accessing them that way, but the desktop icons should work as
well. I've also checked to make sure the option "Internet Explorer should
check to see whether it is the default browser" was checked under the
Programs tab within Internet Options using the Control Panel. Prehaps there
is something else I could do?

Ed

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Open Internet Options, Programs tab
> Choose "Reset Web Settings" and complete the process.
>
> Click Start/Run and type:
>
> regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
> regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In addition to what's written below, I also defragmented the hard drive
> > and
> > ran a Mcafee virus scan, and it ran clean. I also scanned for spyware
> > with
> > Spybouncer, but it didn't fined anything. The problem still exists.
> >
> > Any ideas? I'm runnnig out of options.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ed
> >
> > "ej88keys" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have Windows XP Home Edition running Service Pack 2. I have a Dell
> >> Dimension Desktop 8300, that I bought less than a year ago. It has 1 GB
> >> of
> >> RAM and a 3.2 Ghz, Pentium 4 with HT Technology. I use Mcafee firewall
> >> plus
> >> and Mcafee virus protection. I also immunize spyware using Spyware
> >> Blaster
> >> and Spybot. I'll also scan for viruses using Spybouncer and Adaware.
> >> Also
> >> my pop up settings on Internet Explorer are set to medium.
> >>
> >> When I create a desktop Icon as a shortcut to view a particular internet
> >> page on Internet Explorer, it takes several tries to launch it and
> >> sometimes
> >> I can't launch it at all. It doesn't matter what web page the short cut
> >> is
> >> set up for. Originally I thought the double-click settings for my mouse
> >> were
> >> set too fast, but they weren't; however, I set it at a slower speed
> >> anyway,
> >> but this didn't work. I am able to launch all other icons on my desktop
> >> (including Internet Explorer) with ease, but I have trouble launching the
> >> short cuts to view certain internet pages. Sometimes it works, sometimes
> >> it
> >> takes several tries, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I have no
> >> other
> >> processes running at the time.
> >>
> >> Please advise. I hope there's a simple solution to this.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ed

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:22:39 AM

Hi Ed,
Is this problem seen for URL files only, or even for application shortcuts ?
Have you tested the behavior in another user profile ?

--

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Unfortunately, the procedure you gave me below did not solve the problem,
> although the procedure ran with no errors. It's unusual that sometimes
> the
> desktop internet shortcuts work and then they don't. I do have these web
> pages stored in my favorites within Internet Explorer's web browser and I
> have no problem accessing them that way, but the desktop icons should work
> as
> well. I've also checked to make sure the option "Internet Explorer should
> check to see whether it is the default browser" was checked under the
> Programs tab within Internet Options using the Control Panel. Prehaps
> there
> is something else I could do?
>
> Ed
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ed,
>>
>> Open Internet Options, Programs tab
>> Choose "Reset Web Settings" and complete the process.
>>
>> Click Start/Run and type:
>>
>> regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>> regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In addition to what's written below, I also defragmented the hard drive
>> > and
>> > ran a Mcafee virus scan, and it ran clean. I also scanned for spyware
>> > with
>> > Spybouncer, but it didn't fined anything. The problem still exists.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? I'm runnnig out of options.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ed

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:22:40 AM

Hi Ramesh,

The problem exists for URL files only. All other shortcuts are ok.

The desktop internet shortcuts (URL) using the "guest" account work ok. I'm
glad you mentioned it, as I wouldn't have thought of it. Apparently the
problem is only with my account which has administrative privileges. These
are the only 2 accounts in my computer.

Ed

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Ed,
> Is this problem seen for URL files only, or even for application shortcuts ?
> Have you tested the behavior in another user profile ?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Ramesh,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the procedure you gave me below did not solve the problem,
> > although the procedure ran with no errors. It's unusual that sometimes
> > the
> > desktop internet shortcuts work and then they don't. I do have these web
> > pages stored in my favorites within Internet Explorer's web browser and I
> > have no problem accessing them that way, but the desktop icons should work
> > as
> > well. I've also checked to make sure the option "Internet Explorer should
> > check to see whether it is the default browser" was checked under the
> > Programs tab within Internet Options using the Control Panel. Prehaps
> > there
> > is something else I could do?
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Ed,
> >>
> >> Open Internet Options, Programs tab
> >> Choose "Reset Web Settings" and complete the process.
> >>
> >> Click Start/Run and type:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
> >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
> >> regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:55:54 AM

Ed,

>>.using the "guest" account work ok

Thanks, this confirms that there is no problem with file associations, nor
shell extensions (possibly). One of the running programs may be causing
this, and I'd try closing them done one at a time and see at which point the
problem is resolved.

Or do a clean start using MSConfig. Disable all applications except your
anti-virus and firewall, in MSConfig > Startup tab. Restart Windows and
observe the behavior in your user profile.

--

news:D 1A3389D-BA97-43AE-85B8-C3D63F4A807A@microsoft.com...
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> The problem exists for URL files only. All other shortcuts are ok.
>
> The desktop internet shortcuts (URL) using the "guest" account work ok.
> I'm
> glad you mentioned it, as I wouldn't have thought of it. Apparently the
> problem is only with my account which has administrative privileges.
> These
> are the only 2 accounts in my computer.
>
> Ed
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ed,
>> Is this problem seen for URL files only, or even for application
>> shortcuts ?
>> Have you tested the behavior in another user profile ?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Ramesh,
>> >
>> > Thank you for your reply.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, the procedure you gave me below did not solve the
>> > problem,
>> > although the procedure ran with no errors. It's unusual that sometimes
>> > the
>> > desktop internet shortcuts work and then they don't. I do have these
>> > web
>> > pages stored in my favorites within Internet Explorer's web browser and
>> > have no problem accessing them that way, but the desktop icons should
>> > work
>> > as
>> > well. I've also checked to make sure the option "Internet Explorer
>> > should
>> > check to see whether it is the default browser" was checked under the
>> > Programs tab within Internet Options using the Control Panel. Prehaps
>> > there
>> > is something else I could do?
>> >
>> > Ed

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:55:55 AM

Ramesh,

I closed the applications as you said, and also did a clean start using
MSconfig and restarted windows, but even with all the applications closed
(except for Mcafee), the system still behaves the same way.

Ed

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Ed,
>
> >>.using the "guest" account work ok
>
> Thanks, this confirms that there is no problem with file associations, nor
> shell extensions (possibly). One of the running programs may be causing
> this, and I'd try closing them done one at a time and see at which point the
> problem is resolved.
>
> Or do a clean start using MSConfig. Disable all applications except your
> anti-virus and firewall, in MSConfig > Startup tab. Restart Windows and
> observe the behavior in your user profile.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1A3389D-BA97-43AE-85B8-C3D63F4A807A@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Ramesh,
> >
> > The problem exists for URL files only. All other shortcuts are ok.
> >
> > The desktop internet shortcuts (URL) using the "guest" account work ok.
> > I'm
> > glad you mentioned it, as I wouldn't have thought of it. Apparently the
> > problem is only with my account which has administrative privileges.
> > These
> > are the only 2 accounts in my computer.
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ed,
> >> Is this problem seen for URL files only, or even for application
> >> shortcuts ?
> >> Have you tested the behavior in another user profile ?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:39:28 AM

No clue left for now, Ed. Perhaps creating a new user profile and copying
the files to the new profile is the solution ?

--

> Ramesh,
>
> I closed the applications as you said, and also did a clean start using
> MSconfig and restarted windows, but even with all the applications closed
> (except for Mcafee), the system still behaves the same way.
>
> Ed
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ed,

>> Thanks, this confirms that there is no problem with file associations,
>> nor
>> shell extensions (possibly). One of the running programs may be causing
>> this, and I'd try closing them done one at a time and see at which point
>> the
>> problem is resolved.
>>
>> Or do a clean start using MSConfig. Disable all applications except your
>> anti-virus and firewall, in MSConfig > Startup tab. Restart Windows and
>> observe the behavior in your user profile.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 1A3389D-BA97-43AE-85B8-C3D63F4A807A@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Ramesh,
>> >
>> > The problem exists for URL files only. All other shortcuts are ok.
>> >
>> > The desktop internet shortcuts (URL) using the "guest" account work ok.
>> > I'm
>> > glad you mentioned it, as I wouldn't have thought of it. Apparently
>> > the
>> > problem is only with my account which has administrative privileges.
>> > These
>> > are the only 2 accounts in my computer.
>> >
>> > Ed

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:39:29 AM

Ramesh,

Perhaps that may be the only option...

One last thing. I also have Firefox and MSN Premium as internet providers
for this account; however, the shortcuts point to Internet Explorer. Do you
think this might be an issue although the shortcuts to Internet Explorer did
work fine in the past with these other IP's in my account.

Ed

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> No clue left for now, Ed. Perhaps creating a new user profile and copying
> the files to the new profile is the solution ?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ramesh,
> >
> > I closed the applications as you said, and also did a clean start using
> > MSconfig and restarted windows, but even with all the applications closed
> > (except for Mcafee), the system still behaves the same way.
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Ed,

> >> Thanks, this confirms that there is no problem with file associations,
> >> nor
> >> shell extensions (possibly). One of the running programs may be causing
> >> this, and I'd try closing them done one at a time and see at which point
> >> the
> >> problem is resolved.
> >>
> >> Or do a clean start using MSConfig. Disable all applications except your
> >> anti-virus and firewall, in MSConfig > Startup tab. Restart Windows and
> >> observe the behavior in your user profile.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 1A3389D-BA97-43AE-85B8-C3D63F4A807A@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:13:53 AM

Ed,

File associations are per-machine setting (by default), and so it may not be
causing the problem. A stab in the dark.... You can try using the Set
Program Acccess and Defaults feature in Add/Remove Programs and set IE as
default.

--

> Ramesh,
>
> Perhaps that may be the only option...
>
> One last thing. I also have Firefox and MSN Premium as internet providers
> for this account; however, the shortcuts point to Internet Explorer. Do
> you
> think this might be an issue although the shortcuts to Internet Explorer
> did
> work fine in the past with these other IP's in my account.
>
> Ed
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> No clue left for now, Ed. Perhaps creating a new user profile and copying
>> the files to the new profile is the solution ?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ramesh,
>> >
>> > I closed the applications as you said, and also did a clean start using
>> > MSconfig and restarted windows, but even with all the applications
>> > closed
>> > (except for Mcafee), the system still behaves the same way.
>> >
>> > Ed

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:23:03 AM

Hi Ramesh,

Thank you for your persistent effort of trying to solve my problem.
Unfortunately, it still exists even though I set IE as default. I read a
document indicating that a firewall caused a similiar problem, so I
temporarily changed my firewall from Mcafee to Windows, but no success. I
changed it back to Mcafee.

Although the problem occurs only in my account (it has administrator
privileges) and not the guest account, I may have to create an other
administrator account, but for now I'm holding off on that as copying the
programs and setting up my MSN email to the new account may be more trouble
than it's worth... for now.

Maybe this will help... While trying to launch one of the icons, a message
popped up indicating that there was no internet connection. I immediately
launched IE and it was fine. Perhaps this may have something to do with the
synchronization or polling on the nic card... I don't know... just a thought.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. If you, or anyone can think of anything
else, please let me know.

Thanks!
Ed

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Ed,
>
> File associations are per-machine setting (by default), and so it may not be
> causing the problem. A stab in the dark.... You can try using the Set
> Program Acccess and Defaults feature in Add/Remove Programs and set IE as
> default.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ramesh,
> >
> > Perhaps that may be the only option...
> >
> > One last thing. I also have Firefox and MSN Premium as internet providers
> > for this account; however, the shortcuts point to Internet Explorer. Do
> > you
> > think this might be an issue although the shortcuts to Internet Explorer
> > did
> > work fine in the past with these other IP's in my account.
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> No clue left for now, Ed. Perhaps creating a new user profile and copying
> >> the files to the new profile is the solution ?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:06:06 AM

Ed,

>> Perhaps this may have something to do with the synchronization or polling
>> on the nic card...

Very good point, and good luck on this matter. Should you need to
troubleshoot further, you may try with RegMon and FileMon (and see what
happens when clicking URL files).

--

news:D 90FB593-4D87-4E62-A74F-1F87BF624DC5@microsoft.com...
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> Thank you for your persistent effort of trying to solve my problem.
> Unfortunately, it still exists even though I set IE as default. I read a
> document indicating that a firewall caused a similiar problem, so I
> temporarily changed my firewall from Mcafee to Windows, but no success. I
> changed it back to Mcafee.
>
> Although the problem occurs only in my account (it has administrator
> privileges) and not the guest account, I may have to create an other
> administrator account, but for now I'm holding off on that as copying the
> programs and setting up my MSN email to the new account may be more
> trouble
> than it's worth... for now.
>
> Maybe this will help... While trying to launch one of the icons, a
> message
> popped up indicating that there was no internet connection. I immediately
> launched IE and it was fine. Perhaps this may have something to do with
> the
> synchronization or polling on the nic card... I don't know... just a
> thought.
>
> Anyway, I appreciate your help. If you, or anyone can think of anything
> else, please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
> Ed
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ed,
>>
>> File associations are per-machine setting (by default), and so it may not
>> be
>> causing the problem. A stab in the dark.... You can try using the Set
>> Program Acccess and Defaults feature in Add/Remove Programs and set IE as
>> default.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ramesh,
>> >
>> > Perhaps that may be the only option...
>> >
>> > One last thing. I also have Firefox and MSN Premium as internet
>> > providers
>> > for this account; however, the shortcuts point to Internet Explorer.
>> > Do
>> > you
>> > think this might be an issue although the shortcuts to Internet
>> > Explorer
>> > did
>> > work fine in the past with these other IP's in my account.
>> >
>> > Ed

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:06:07 AM

Hi Ramesh,

Problem Solved!

I took your advice and created another administrator account and copied the
files and programs over. I deleted the old account and renamed the new
account to the old account's name. The URL desktop shortcuts now launch
without any trouble.

Thank you for all your help!

Ed

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Ed,
>
> >> Perhaps this may have something to do with the synchronization or polling
> >> on the nic card...
>
> Very good point, and good luck on this matter. Should you need to
> troubleshoot further, you may try with RegMon and FileMon (and see what
> happens when clicking URL files).
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 90FB593-4D87-4E62-A74F-1F87BF624DC5@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Ramesh,
> >
> > Thank you for your persistent effort of trying to solve my problem.
> > Unfortunately, it still exists even though I set IE as default. I read a
> > document indicating that a firewall caused a similiar problem, so I
> > temporarily changed my firewall from Mcafee to Windows, but no success. I
> > changed it back to Mcafee.
> >
> > Although the problem occurs only in my account (it has administrator
> > privileges) and not the guest account, I may have to create an other
> > administrator account, but for now I'm holding off on that as copying the
> > programs and setting up my MSN email to the new account may be more
> > trouble
> > than it's worth... for now.
> >
> > Maybe this will help... While trying to launch one of the icons, a
> > message
> > popped up indicating that there was no internet connection. I immediately
> > launched IE and it was fine. Perhaps this may have something to do with
> > the
> > synchronization or polling on the nic card... I don't know... just a
> > thought.
> >
> > Anyway, I appreciate your help. If you, or anyone can think of anything
> > else, please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Ed
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Ed,
> >>
> >> File associations are per-machine setting (by default), and so it may not
> >> be
> >> causing the problem. A stab in the dark.... You can try using the Set
> >> Program Acccess and Defaults feature in Add/Remove Programs and set IE as
> >> default.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ej88keys" <ej88keys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:34:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Ed. Glad it's fixed.

--

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> Problem Solved!
>
> I took your advice and created another administrator account and copied
> the
> files and programs over. I deleted the old account and renamed the new
> account to the old account's name. The URL desktop shortcuts now launch
> without any trouble.
>
> Thank you for all your help!
>
> Ed
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote: