IIS World Wide Web Publishing service Error 87 Invalid par..

I am running XP pro with SP2. I cannot get IIS running on this machine. It
was running and now it is not. I have uninstalled/reintsalled the IIS
component, and I try to start the default web site from inetmgr, and get a
message the service did not respond. I try to start the World Wide Web
Publishing service manually and get: Error 87 Invalid parameter. Any ideas?

--
Jason

Your service might be trying to open a port, and the firewall from SP2 is in the way.

Another possibility is that your winsock is damaged:
the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"JasonDWilson" <JasonDWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1A20956-FE95-406F-9716-EACA3FE582F3@microsoft.com...
>I am running XP pro with SP2. I cannot get IIS running on this machine. It
> was running and now it is not. I have uninstalled/reintsalled the IIS
> component, and I try to start the default web site from inetmgr, and get a
> message the service did not respond. I try to start the World Wide Web
> Publishing service manually and get: Error 87 Invalid parameter. Any ideas?
>
> --
> Jason

MehdiPanjwani

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
IIS requires two services to be started.

1) IIS Admin
2) World Wide Web Publishing

If you get an error: Invalid parameter or Parameter is not provided then the reason is that you have blocked two ports which is required by WWW Publishing service.

Those two ports are:
1) DCOM RPC (port 135)
2) RPC Locator (port 445)

You will need to open above two ports, then restart your computer, then both the above listed service will be started automatically.

For your ease, I have uploaded port opener/blocker software. You can get it from http://www.bwt.org.pk/PortOpener/WinPortsBlocker.zip

Regards,
Mohammad Mehdi,
Lead Software Engineer,