mh909

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
ive heard they make motherboards with more than 1 agp slot (i think thats what i heard). is it possible to link two agp graphics cards? would it do anything special, or is just a waste of power? im not planning on doing this, im just wondering

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
how about using the pci slot and the agp slot simultaneously?

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
how about an integrated video plus the pci&agp with a video card each, that's triple display. WHOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
a couple of Voodoo's running SLI (thats 2xPCI slots)
On Board Video and the AGP card too!

Quad POWER!!!!!!

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
yeah the old voodoo's could (im pretty sure it was called that? -SLI I mean)

Stil have my old blackmagic Voodoo2 board on its cool military grade black PCB. Why arent cards today made with black PCB...it looks so cool!

<b>XP2100+, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
standard PC architecture only supports one AGP slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
:smile: They do have video cards that do a dual display.
Actually quite a few. Perhaps that is what you meant?

If so, what application did you have in mind? We can get you a recommendation for a graphics card if we know.

The loving are the daring!

There is the option of DUAL AGP, however it is on upcoming (still not here yet) mobos. The new ones like the ATI IGP9100 chipset do NOT disable the onboard AGP when using a card in the AGP slot. Therefore DUAL AGP. It uses special architecture which allows it to do that and not overwhelm the bus.

On most board you can run 1 AGP plus NUMEROUS PCI cards. The limit is the support from the drivers and OS. I've seen systems built on 4 PCI cards running 8 monitors. I've had many a setup with 1 AGP + 1 PCI, and even an AGP plus dual PCI.
However the really BIG thing will be the advent of PCI-EX, now that MAY give us ALOT more options, but we will have to wait for the mobos and cards to arrive before we know for sure. But the possibilities are mouth-watering!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Doh! I never knew you could do that. I always thaught the only way to have multiple running video cards was if there was a 3D add-on card.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
You didnt think I was serious did you Crashman!??? I know it doesnt support it at the moment.

And to GreatGrape and UFO, I recently (well about a year ago) had a crappy old PC Chips 810LMR mobo with onboard agp and a Ti4200 ruunin with it. In games when I selected my Video adaptor it would let me choose between both. Was a totally sh!t board but thought I would mention it.

<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG, they've been doing multiple video card systems ever since Windows 98SE, and I believe previous OS's could support it with third party software (98SE and after supported multiple displays/multiple display adapters natively).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only problem I see is...the fat pipe only goes to one slot, that is to say PCI-express boards will likely come with no X32 slots, 1 X16 slot, and several smaller slots. Of course even an X4 is many times better than PCI, and probably good enough for run-of-the-mill video cards such as the 9500 and Ti4200.

True but I'm really only looking for 2 cards running simultaneously. 1 on main, and one pulling dual monitor duty for surround gaming monitors. If I was doing Flight Sim like my Dad then maybe I'd want extra monitors (anyone see the last page of Max PC this month, Freakin' Unreal!). But I think running 2 Cheap 21/19" monitors plus a Sweet 21" central monitor should give good results. I really wouldn't need 3 cards, just two charing the equivalent of 8X+ should be more than enough. And then all the additional management benifits of PCI-EX should clean things up ALOT.

Anywhoo, still licking my lips! What? I live in a Desert! Gotta a better Idea? Chapstick is for figure-skating Girlz!

Oh well, still looking forward to the RV380 and R420.

BTW, <A HREF="http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1452" target="_new">HERE's</A> a recent review of the R9100 IGP I came across at work today (heck I didn't know it was also going to be on an AMD platform, SCHWEET!). This will definitely replace the Nforce boards I'm recommending for people wanting on-board AGP (hey not everyone is a serious gamer, these guys still haven't left the EverQuest realm!).
Anywhoo, lots of stuff to look forward to, even for the casual gamer.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You do realize that they've released 2 chipsets already, no? They both failed in the marketplace. Their PIII chipset was the most promising, but never saw widescale adaption, and thier old AMD chipset was only found on extremely low end boards.

Yeah, I remember their old chipsets, they were often advertised in MaxPC, and yeah, they SUCKED, but the future looks better for the 9100IGP, just remember that the original nForce sucked too.
I'm running VIA right now (because they were first past the post with the features I wanted (on a Gigabyte board [would have settled for Asus too]). I'll do the research first before I make any final recommendations, but the reality is it LOOKS promising. I don't expect any guarantees, but the initial chipsets seem to do well, unless you're interested in office productivity (that's what my computer at WORK is for). At the very least it will push nVidia to develop a bettter chipset, VIA, ALI et all sure aren't doing that right now. We shall see.