Task bar and shortcuts missing

Hi, I have a laptop with Windows XP Home SP1. When I turn on the compuer I
get to my desktop, but I get no Start Menu, Task bar or any even any of my
desktop shortcuts. All I see is the background. I tried starting in Safe
Mode, but the same thing happens. Using CTRL ALT Del, I've been able to run
some programs like msconfig which I used to reboot with no startup programs
way, but when the restore program loads, all I see is a completely empty form
with the title bar saying system restore, so thats of no use either. Has
anyone encoutered this? I don't want to have to trash the whole windows
install. Searching the microsoft support, I only see an article about the
SP2 causing a similar problem, but in that situation, the taskbar will load
in Safe mode, in my situation, it doesn't.

Thanks,

Bob
4 answers Last reply
More about task shortcuts missing

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "bfollett" <bfollett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F9BA3C3-FA19-41CC-A9C1-1B893FB4C2E9@microsoft.com...
    > Hi, I have a laptop with Windows XP Home SP1. When I turn on the compuer I
    > get to my desktop, but I get no Start Menu, Task bar or any even any of my
    > desktop shortcuts. All I see is the background. I tried starting in Safe
    > Mode, but the same thing happens. Using CTRL ALT Del, I've been able to run
    > some programs like msconfig which I used to reboot with no startup programs
    > way, but when the restore program loads, all I see is a completely empty form
    > with the title bar saying system restore, so thats of no use either. Has
    > anyone encoutered this? I don't want to have to trash the whole windows
    > install. Searching the microsoft support, I only see an article about the
    > SP2 causing a similar problem, but in that situation, the taskbar will load
    > in Safe mode, in my situation, it doesn't.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

    I'd actually already searched the web and found that task bar repair utility,
    but when I ran it, I would get an automation error, so I think I have some
    really messed up Windows core dll files. I guess its windows restore time...
    Sigh

    Bob

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "bfollett" <bfollett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F9BA3C3-FA19-41CC-A9C1-1B893FB4C2E9@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi, I have a laptop with Windows XP Home SP1. When I turn on the compuer I
    > > get to my desktop, but I get no Start Menu, Task bar or any even any of my
    > > desktop shortcuts. All I see is the background. I tried starting in Safe
    > > Mode, but the same thing happens. Using CTRL ALT Del, I've been able to run
    > > some programs like msconfig which I used to reboot with no startup programs
    > > way, but when the restore program loads, all I see is a completely empty form
    > > with the title bar saying system restore, so thats of no use either. Has
    > > anyone encoutered this? I don't want to have to trash the whole windows
    > > install. Searching the microsoft support, I only see an article about the
    > > SP2 causing a similar problem, but in that situation, the taskbar will load
    > > in Safe mode, in my situation, it doesn't.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bob

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

    --

    "bfollett" <bfollett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEA63233-C5FD-4D22-8FEB-1852016E90AE@microsoft.com...
> [...]

    >> > Hi, I have a laptop with Windows XP Home SP1. When I turn on the compuer I
    >> > get to my desktop, but I get no Start Menu, Task bar or any even any of my
    >> > desktop shortcuts. All I see is the background. I tried starting in Safe
    >> > Mode, but the same thing happens. Using CTRL ALT Del, I've been able to run
    >> > some programs like msconfig which I used to reboot with no startup programs
    >> > way, but when the restore program loads, all I see is a completely empty form
    >> > with the title bar saying system restore, so thats of no use either. Has
    >> > anyone encoutered this? I don't want to have to trash the whole windows
    >> > install. Searching the microsoft support, I only see an article about the
    >> > SP2 causing a similar problem, but in that situation, the taskbar will load
    >> > in Safe mode, in my situation, it doesn't.

Windows XP