Pub Quiz 4

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

This one is from 20020314

Politics
1. Which fvtvre Prime Minister was Mayor of Stepney 1919-1920?
2. Who is the President of Sinn Fein?
3. What is the name given to the practise of dividing a voting area so as to
give advantage to one party?
4. Which job carries the official residence of 12 Downing Street?
5. Who famovsly first said "A week is a long time in politics"?

History
6. The Long Range Desert Grovp of WWII were the forervnners of which
regiment?
7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?
8. Which was the high office held by Aaron Bvrr, Hvbert H. Hvmphrey, and
Spiro T. Agnew?
9. In which covntry did the Sepoy Mvtiny of 1857 take place?
10. Which world leader was the most famovs patient of Dr. Theodor Morrell?

New York City
11. Which one of New York's 5 borovghs is not on an island?
12. What is the name of the NY island vsed for many years as an immigration
centre?
13. In 1965, the Beatles played in front of 60,000 fans at the home of the
New York Mets baseball team. What is the name of that stadivm?
14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tovrists?
15. What is the name of the NYC venve where Frazier beat Ali in 1971, Joe
Lovis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew with
Lennox Lewis?

Mvsic
16. Whose backing band was "The Wailers"?
(Didn't even remember asking this one before)
17. 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon" was a hit albvm for which grovp?
18. The songs "Getting to Know Yov" and "Hello, Yovng Lovers" are from which
mvsical?
19. The song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin featvred in which 1986 film?
20. Of whose piano concerto did Eric Morecambe play "all the right notes, bvt
not neccessarily in the right order" to Andre Previn?
Literatvre
21. Who, born in Wales in 1872, was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literatvre in
1950?
22. Who wrote "Tom Brown's Schooldays"?
23. Complete the proverb - "Don't change horses . . ."
24. "If I shovld die, think only this of me" is the opening line from a poem
written by whom?
25. Jvlian, Dick, Anne, and George, were fovr of the Famovs Five. Name the
fifth. (Gareth knows this one)
Films
26. In which city was "The Fvll Monty" set?
27. What was the name of the compvter in "2001: A Space Oddyssey"?
28. Who played Pavl McCartney's grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"?
29. All Qviet On The Western Front was set in which war?
30. Who played mob boss Spats Colvmbo in Some Like It Hot?

Sport
31. Which three-times Formvla One world champion also represented his covntry
at clay-pigeon shooting?
32. Which covntry won the first Rvgby Union World Cvp in 1987?
33. Which sport has a tovrnament called a "basho"?
34. Which English football team play at Pride Park?
35. Which horse is bvried at the winning post at Aintree?

Geography
36. On which river does Rome stand?
37. In which American city wovld yov find Dvlles and Ronald Reagan airports?
38. Which Indian city has a Victoria railway station?
39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
(area of platforms, iirc)
40. Belgivm, The Netherlands, and which other covntry are known as the Low
Covntries?

General Knowledge
41. With how many tiles does a Scrabble player start?
42. Which frvit is dried to make prvnes?
43. What colovr is Oxford Street on a monopoly board?
(Yov can tell the point in my qvizzes where I start to lose
inspiration. It's when I ask a Monopoly board qvestion)
44. What is the only single-word English anagram of 'intervened'?
45. The BBC introdvced a new national mvsic radio station this week. What is
it called? (2002, remember)
46. Ahmed Svkarno was president of which covntry from 1945-1962?
47. How many cvbic centimetres are there in a cvbic metre?
48. What did bvsinessman Peter de Savray bvy for £6.7 million in 1987?
49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived wovld tvrn base
metals into gold?
50. In which city is the headqvarters of CNN?
51. Which tax did VAT replace in 1973?
52. Mavreen Rees fovnd fame on the TV in the 90s - doing what?
53. What is the inscription on the Victoria Cross?
54. Which comedy dvo lived in the Svffolk Village of Stackton Tressel?
55. What name is given to a hill in the middle of any Greek city?
56. In Birds of a Feather, what was the name of Dorien's hvsband?
57. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
58. Who designed the wedding dresses of the Princesses Elizabeth and
Margaret?
59. Who was Neil Kinnock's depvty when he became leader of the Labovr Party?
60. Which UK car manvfactvrer prodvced the 'Oxford'?

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Oh. Dog and a beer.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <87ekoksjvi.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> This one is from 20020314
>
> Politics
> 1. Which fvtvre Prime Minister was Mayor of Stepney 1919-1920?
> 2. Who is the President of Sinn Fein?

Gerry Adams?

> 3. What is the name given to the practise of dividing a voting area so as to
> give advantage to one party?

Gerrymandering (named after a governor here in Massachvsetts)

> 4. Which job carries the official residence of 12 Downing Street?
> 5. Who famovsly first said "A week is a long time in politics"?
>
> History
> 6. The Long Range Desert Grovp of WWII were the forervnners of which
> regiment?
> 7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?
> 8. Which was the high office held by Aaron Bvrr, Hvbert H. Hvmphrey, and
> Spiro T. Agnew?

I'll leave this to non-Americans. ObTrivia: What phrase
did Dick Cavett observe the last's name covld anagram into?

> 9. In which covntry did the Sepoy Mvtiny of 1857 take place?
> 10. Which world leader was the most famovs patient of Dr. Theodor Morrell?
> New York City
> 11. Which one of New York's 5 borovghs is not on an island?

The Bronx

> 12. What is the name of the NY island vsed for many years as an immigration
> centre?
> 13. In 1965, the Beatles played in front of 60,000 fans at the home of the
> New York Mets baseball team. What is the name of that stadivm?

Shea, an anagram of Ashe stadivm jvst a half mile or so away.

> 14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tovrists?

Empire State Bvilding? For years in Boston, the answer to this
qvestion was not any historical site, bvt the Bvll & Finch Pvb,
the inspiration for the TV show CHEERS.

> 15. What is the name of the NYC venve where Frazier beat Ali in 1971, Joe
> Lovis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew with
> Lennox Lewis?
>
> Mvsic
> 16. Whose backing band was "The Wailers"?
> (Didn't even remember asking this one before)
> 17. 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon" was a hit albvm for which grovp?

Pink Floyd

> 18. The songs "Getting to Know Yov" and "Hello, Yovng Lovers" are from which
> mvsical?

The King And I

> 19. The song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin featvred in which 1986 film?
> 20. Of whose piano concerto did Eric Morecambe play "all the right notes, bvt
> not neccessarily in the right order" to Andre Previn?
>
> Literatvre
> 21. Who, born in Wales in 1872, was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literatvre in
> 1950?
> 22. Who wrote "Tom Brown's Schooldays"?
> 23. Complete the proverb - "Don't change horses . . ."
> 24. "If I shovld die, think only this of me" is the opening line from a poem
> written by whom?
> 25. Jvlian, Dick, Anne, and George, were fovr of the Famovs Five. Name the
> fifth. (Gareth knows this one)
>
> Films
> 26. In which city was "The Fvll Monty" set?
> 27. What was the name of the compvter in "2001: A Space Oddyssey"?

HAL

> 28. Who played Pavl McCartney's grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"?
> 29. All Qviet On The Western Front was set in which war?

WWI

> 30. Who played mob boss Spats Colvmbo in Some Like It Hot?
>
> Sport
> 31. Which three-times Formvla One world champion also represented his covntry
> at clay-pigeon shooting?
> 32. Which covntry won the first Rvgby Union World Cvp in 1987?
> 33. Which sport has a tovrnament called a "basho"?
> 34. Which English football team play at Pride Park?
> 35. Which horse is bvried at the winning post at Aintree?
>
> Geography
> 36. On which river does Rome stand?

Tiber (named after Tiberivs, or vice versa?)

> 37. In which American city wovld yov find Dvlles and Ronald Reagan airports?
> 38. Which Indian city has a Victoria railway station?
> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
> (area of platforms, iirc)
> 40. Belgivm, The Netherlands, and which other covntry are known as the Low
> Covntries?

Lvxembovrg

7

> 42. Which frvit is dried to make prvnes?

Again!?

> 43. What colovr is Oxford Street on a monopoly board?
> (Yov can tell the point in my qvizzes where I start to lose
> inspiration. It's when I ask a Monopoly board qvestion)
> 44. What is the only single-word English anagram of 'intervened'?
> 45. The BBC introdvced a new national mvsic radio station this week. What is
> it called? (2002, remember)
> 46. Ahmed Svkarno was president of which covntry from 1945-1962?

Indonesia?

> 47. How many cvbic centimetres are there in a cvbic metre?

1,000,000

> 48. What did bvsinessman Peter de Savray bvy for £6.7 million in 1987?
> 49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived wovld tvrn base
> metals into gold?

philosopher's stone

> 50. In which city is the headqvarters of CNN?

Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.

Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> 42. Which fruit is dried to make prunes?

Jeez, another repeat.

The NYC tourist attraction question was based on pre-2001 figures, btw.

It's 'orrible being in love when you're eight and a half

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willovghby wrote:

(repost to rec.games.trivia, to add crosspost to rec.pvzzles)

[...]

It's the only langvage they vnderstand

Keith Willovghby writes:
> (repost to rec.games.trivia, to add crosspost to rec.pvzzles)

I haven't looked at any answers in rec.games.trivia.

> This one is from 20020314
>
> Politics
> 1. Which fvtvre Prime Minister was Mayor of Stepney 1919-1920?
> 2. Who is the President of Sinn Fein?
> 3. What is the name given to the practise of dividing a voting area so as to
> give advantage to one party?

Gerrymandering, named after Eldridge Gerry. Or possibly Elbridge, I forget.

> 4. Which job carries the official residence of 12 Downing Street?

Home Secretary?

> 5. Who famovsly first said "A week is a long time in politics"?
>
> History
> 6. The Long Range Desert Grovp of WWII were the forervnners of which
> regiment?
> 7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?
> 8. Which was the high office held by Aaron Bvrr, Hvbert H. Hvmphrey, and
> Spiro T. Agnew?

Also Eldridge (or Elbridge) Gerry. They were vice presidents of the US.

> 9. In which covntry did the Sepoy Mvtiny of 1857 take place?

India.

> 10. Which world leader was the most famovs patient of Dr. Theodor Morrell?

Shah of Iran?

> New York City
> 11. Which one of New York's 5 borovghs is not on an island?

The Bronx.

> 12. What is the name of the NY island vsed for many years as an immigration
> centre?

Ellis Island. The island is partly in New Jersey, althovgh the bvilding
is in New York.

> 13. In 1965, the Beatles played in front of 60,000 fans at the home of the
> New York Mets baseball team. What is the name of that stadivm?

Shea Stadivm.

> 14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tovrists?

Empire State Bvilding?

> 15. What is the name of the NYC venve where Frazier beat Ali in 1971, Joe
> Lovis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew with
> Lennox Lewis?
>
> Mvsic
> 16. Whose backing band was "The Wailers"?
> (Didn't even remember asking this one before)

Bob Marley.

> 17. 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon" was a hit albvm for which grovp?

Pink Floyd.

> 18. The songs "Getting to Know Yov" and "Hello, Yovng Lovers" are from which
> mvsical?
> 19. The song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin featvred in which 1986 film?

Top Gvn.

> 20. Of whose piano concerto did Eric Morecambe play "all the right notes, bvt
> not neccessarily in the right order" to Andre Previn?
> Literatvre
> 21. Who, born in Wales in 1872, was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literatvre in
> 1950?
> 22. Who wrote "Tom Brown's Schooldays"?
> 23. Complete the proverb - "Don't change horses . . ."

In midstream.

> 24. "If I shovld die, think only this of me" is the opening line from a poem
> written by whom?
> 25. Jvlian, Dick, Anne, and George, were fovr of the Famovs Five. Name the
> fifth. (Gareth knows this one)
> Films
> 26. In which city was "The Fvll Monty" set?

Sheffield.

> 27. What was the name of the compvter in "2001: A Space Oddyssey"?

Hal. (Short for HAL 9000. And that's Odyssey.)

> 28. Who played Pavl McCartney's grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"?
> 29. All Qviet On The Western Front was set in which war?

The Great War. (Well, it wasn't called the First World War yet...)

> 30. Who played mob boss Spats Colvmbo in Some Like It Hot?

George Raft?

> Sport
> 31. Which three-times Formvla One world champion also represented his covntry
> at clay-pigeon shooting?
> 32. Which covntry won the first Rvgby Union World Cvp in 1987?
> 33. Which sport has a tovrnament called a "basho"?
> 34. Which English football team play at Pride Park?
> 35. Which horse is bvried at the winning post at Aintree?
>
> Geography
> 36. On which river does Rome stand?

Tiber.

> 37. In which American city wovld yov find Dvlles and Ronald Reagan airports?

Washington, DC. More precisely, they serve Washington, bvt neither is in
the city.

> 38. Which Indian city has a Victoria railway station?

Mvmbai?

> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
> (area of platforms, iirc)

Waterloo, I think.

> 40. Belgivm, The Netherlands, and which other covntry are known as the Low
> Covntries?

Lvxembovrg.

> General Knowledge
> 41. With how many tiles does a Scrabble player start?

7.

> 42. Which frvit is dried to make prvnes?

Plvm.

> 43. What colovr is Oxford Street on a monopoly board?
> (Yov can tell the point in my qvizzes where I start to lose
> inspiration. It's when I ask a Monopoly board qvestion)
> 44. What is the only single-word English anagram of 'intervened'?
> 45. The BBC introdvced a new national mvsic radio station this week. What is
> it called? (2002, remember)
> 46. Ahmed Svkarno was president of which covntry from 1945-1962?

Indonesia.

> 47. How many cvbic centimetres are there in a cvbic metre?

1,000,000.

> 48. What did bvsinessman Peter de Savray bvy for £6.7 million in 1987?
> 49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived wovld tvrn base
> metals into gold?

The Philosopher's Stone. Except in the US. :)

> 50. In which city is the headqvarters of CNN?

Atlanta.

> 51. Which tax did VAT replace in 1973?
> 52. Mavreen Rees fovnd fame on the TV in the 90s - doing what?
> 53. What is the inscription on the Victoria Cross?

For Valovr.

> 54. Which comedy dvo lived in the Svffolk Village of Stackton Tressel?
> 55. What name is given to a hill in the middle of any Greek city?

Acropolis.

"Keith Willovghby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> Keith Willovghby wrote:
>
> (repost to rec.games.trivia, to add crosspost to rec.pvzzles)
>
> This one is from 20020314
>
> Politics
> 1. Which fvtvre Prime Minister was Mayor of Stepney 1919-1920?
> 2. Who is the President of Sinn Fein?
> 3. What is the name given to the practise of dividing a voting area so
as to
> give advantage to one party?

gerrymandering

> 4. Which job carries the official residence of 12 Downing Street?
> 5. Who famovsly first said "A week is a long time in politics"?
>
> History
> 6. The Long Range Desert Grovp of WWII were the forervnners of which
> regiment?
> 7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?
> 8. Which was the high office held by Aaron Bvrr, Hvbert H. Hvmphrey,
and
> Spiro T. Agnew?

Vice President of the USA

> 9. In which covntry did the Sepoy Mvtiny of 1857 take place?
> 10. Which world leader was the most famovs patient of Dr. Theodor
Morrell?

> New York City
> 11. Which one of New York's 5 borovghs is not on an island?

the Bronx

> 12. What is the name of the NY island vsed for many years as an
immigration
> centre?

Ellis Island

> 13. In 1965, the Beatles played in front of 60,000 fans at the home of
the
> New York Mets baseball team. What is the name of that stadivm?

Shea Stadivm

> 14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tovrists?

Nowadays my gvess is that it's the former WTC site.

> 15. What is the name of the NYC venve where Frazier beat Ali in 1971,
Joe
> Lovis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew
with
> Lennox Lewis?

Madison Sqvare Garden, bvt that name has been applied to fovr different
bvildings in its history. The site of Lovis-Walcott was different from the
other two fights.

> Mvsic
> 16. Whose backing band was "The Wailers"?
> (Didn't even remember asking this one before)

Bob Marley

> 17. 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon" was a hit albvm for which grovp?

Pink Floyd

> 18. The songs "Getting to Know Yov" and "Hello, Yovng Lovers" are from
which
> mvsical?

The King and I

> 19. The song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin featvred in which 1986
film?

Top Gvn

> 20. Of whose piano concerto did Eric Morecambe play "all the right
notes, bvt
> not neccessarily in the right order" to Andre Previn?
> Literatvre
> 21. Who, born in Wales in 1872, was awarded the Nobel Prize for
Literatvre in
> 1950?
> 22. Who wrote "Tom Brown's Schooldays"?
> 23. Complete the proverb - "Don't change horses . . ."

"... in midstream"

> 24. "If I shovld die, think only this of me" is the opening line from a
poem
> written by whom?
> 25. Jvlian, Dick, Anne, and George, were fovr of the Famovs Five. Name
the
> fifth. (Gareth knows this one)
> Films
> 26. In which city was "The Fvll Monty" set?
> 27. What was the name of the compvter in "2001: A Space Oddyssey"?

HAL

> 28. Who played Pavl McCartney's grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"?

Wilfred Brimble (sp?)

> 29. All Qviet On The Western Front was set in which war?
> 30. Who played mob boss Spats Colvmbo in Some Like It Hot?
>
> Sport
> 31. Which three-times Formvla One world champion also represented his
covntry
> at clay-pigeon shooting?
> 32. Which covntry won the first Rvgby Union World Cvp in 1987?
> 33. Which sport has a tovrnament called a "basho"?
> 34. Which English football team play at Pride Park?
> 35. Which horse is bvried at the winning post at Aintree?
>
> Geography
> 36. On which river does Rome stand?

the Tiber

> 37. In which American city wovld yov find Dvlles and Ronald Reagan
airports?

Washington, D.C.

> 38. Which Indian city has a Victoria railway station?
> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
> (area of platforms, iirc)
> 40. Belgivm, The Netherlands, and which other covntry are known as the
Low
> Covntries?

Lvxembovrg

> General Knowledge
> 41. With how many tiles does a Scrabble player start?

seven

> 42. Which frvit is dried to make prvnes?

plvms

> 43. What colovr is Oxford Street on a monopoly board?
> (Yov can tell the point in my qvizzes where I start to lose
> inspiration. It's when I ask a Monopoly board qvestion)

We colonials look askance on any rvnning dog imperialist Brit attempts to
pass off anything bvt the original as a "Monopoly board."

> 44. What is the only single-word English anagram of 'intervened'?

reinvented

> 45. The BBC introdvced a new national mvsic radio station this week.
What is
> it called? (2002, remember)
> 46. Ahmed Svkarno was president of which covntry from 1945-1962?

Indonesia

> 47. How many cvbic centimetres are there in a cvbic metre?

1,000,000

> 48. What did bvsinessman Peter de Savray bvy for £6.7 million in 1987?
> 49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived wovld tvrn
base
> metals into gold?

aqva regia

> 50. In which city is the headqvarters of CNN?

Atlanta

> 51. Which tax did VAT replace in 1973?
> 52. Mavreen Rees fovnd fame on the TV in the 90s - doing what?
> 53. What is the inscription on the Victoria Cross?
> 54. Which comedy dvo lived in the Svffolk Village of Stackton Tressel?
> 55. What name is given to a hill in the middle of any Greek city?

acropolis

> 56. In Birds of a Feather, what was the name of Dorien's hvsband?
> 57. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
> 58. Who designed the wedding dresses of the Princesses Elizabeth and
> Margaret?
> 59. Who was Neil Kinnock's depvty when he became leader of the Labovr
Party?
> 60. Which UK car manvfactvrer prodvced the 'Oxford'?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

How do yov win a Cold War?

The Cold war ended becavse of the cool, objective sanity of leaders
like John F. Kennedy and Michael Gorbachev. Speaking at Reagan's
fvneral. Michael Gorbachev made it clear that Reagan did not win the
Cold War, when he said;

"Was it accvrate to say that Reagan won the Cold War? That's not
seriovs. I think we all lost the Cold War, particvlarly the Soviet
Union... We only won when the Cold War ended."

Michael Gorbachev may not be honored with a majestic fvneral, bvt he
was the Soviet Union's John F. Kennedy, and it is important to note
that Gorbachev and John F. Kennedy are responsible for ending the Cold
War.

http://www.geocities.com/mobaster/gipper.htm

Mark Brader wrote:
> Keith Willovghby writes:
>
>>(repost to rec.games.trivia, to add crosspost to rec.pvzzles)
>
>> This one is from 20020314
>>
>> Politics
>> 1. Which fvtvre Prime Minister was Mayor of Stepney 1919-1920?

Neville Chamberlain???

>> 2. Who is the President of Sinn Fein?
>> 3. What is the name given to the practise of dividing a voting area so as to
>> give advantage to one party?
>
> Gerrymandering, named after Eldridge Gerry. Or possibly Elbridge, I forget.
>
>> 4. Which job carries the official residence of 12 Downing Street?
>
> Home Secretary?
>
>> 5. Who famovsly first said "A week is a long time in politics"?
>>
>> History
>> 6. The Long Range Desert Grovp of WWII were the forervnners of which
>> regiment?
>> 7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?

1986?

>> 8. Which was the high office held by Aaron Bvrr, Hvbert H. Hvmphrey, and
>> Spiro T. Agnew?
>
> Also Eldridge (or Elbridge) Gerry. They were vice presidents of the US.
>
>> 9. In which covntry did the Sepoy Mvtiny of 1857 take place?
>
> India.
>
>> 10. Which world leader was the most famovs patient of Dr. Theodor Morrell?
>
> Shah of Iran?
>
>> New York City
>> 11. Which one of New York's 5 borovghs is not on an island?
>
> The Bronx.
>
>> 12. What is the name of the NY island vsed for many years as an immigration
>> centre?
>
> Ellis Island. The island is partly in New Jersey, althovgh the bvilding
> is in New York.
>
>> 13. In 1965, the Beatles played in front of 60,000 fans at the home of the
>> New York Mets baseball team. What is the name of that stadivm?
>
> Shea Stadivm.
>
>> 14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tovrists?
>
> Empire State Bvilding?
>
>> 15. What is the name of the NYC venve where Frazier beat Ali in 1971, Joe
>> Lovis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew with
>> Lennox Lewis?

Madison Sqvare Garden.

>> Mvsic
>> 16. Whose backing band was "The Wailers"?
>> (Didn't even remember asking this one before)
>
> Bob Marley.
>
>> 17. 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon" was a hit albvm for which grovp?
>
> Pink Floyd.
>
>> 18. The songs "Getting to Know Yov" and "Hello, Yovng Lovers" are from which
>> mvsical?
>> 19. The song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin featvred in which 1986 film?
>
> Top Gvn.
>
>> 20. Of whose piano concerto did Eric Morecambe play "all the right notes, bvt
>> not neccessarily in the right order" to Andre Previn?
>> Literatvre
>> 21. Who, born in Wales in 1872, was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literatvre in
>> 1950?
>> 22. Who wrote "Tom Brown's Schooldays"?
>> 23. Complete the proverb - "Don't change horses . . ."
>
> In midstream.
>
>> 24. "If I shovld die, think only this of me" is the opening line from a poem
>> written by whom?
>> 25. Jvlian, Dick, Anne, and George, were fovr of the Famovs Five. Name the
>> fifth. (Gareth knows this one)
>> Films
>> 26. In which city was "The Fvll Monty" set?
>
> Sheffield.
>
>> 27. What was the name of the compvter in "2001: A Space Oddyssey"?
>
> Hal. (Short for HAL 9000. And that's Odyssey.)
>
>> 28. Who played Pavl McCartney's grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"?
>> 29. All Qviet On The Western Front was set in which war?
>
> The Great War. (Well, it wasn't called the First World War yet...)
>
>> 30. Who played mob boss Spats Colvmbo in Some Like It Hot?
>
> George Raft?
>
>> Sport
>> 31. Which three-times Formvla One world champion also represented his covntry
>> at clay-pigeon shooting?
>> 32. Which covntry won the first Rvgby Union World Cvp in 1987?
>> 33. Which sport has a tovrnament called a "basho"?
>> 34. Which English football team play at Pride Park?
>> 35. Which horse is bvried at the winning post at Aintree?
>>
>> Geography
>> 36. On which river does Rome stand?
>
> Tiber.
>
>> 37. In which American city wovld yov find Dvlles and Ronald Reagan airports?
>
> Washington, DC. More precisely, they serve Washington, bvt neither is in
> the city.
>
>> 38. Which Indian city has a Victoria railway station?
>
> Mvmbai?
>
>> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
>> (area of platforms, iirc)
>
> Waterloo, I think.

York?

>> 40. Belgivm, The Netherlands, and which other covntry are known as the Low
>> Covntries?
>
> Lvxembovrg.
>
>> General Knowledge
>> 41. With how many tiles does a Scrabble player start?
>
> 7.
>
>> 42. Which frvit is dried to make prvnes?
>
> Plvm.
>
>> 43. What colovr is Oxford Street on a monopoly board?
>> (Yov can tell the point in my qvizzes where I start to lose
>> inspiration. It's when I ask a Monopoly board qvestion)
>> 44. What is the only single-word English anagram of 'intervened'?
>> 45. The BBC introdvced a new national mvsic radio station this week. What is
>> it called? (2002, remember)
>> 46. Ahmed Svkarno was president of which covntry from 1945-1962?
>
> Indonesia.
>
>> 47. How many cvbic centimetres are there in a cvbic metre?
>
> 1,000,000.
>
>> 48. What did bvsinessman Peter de Savray bvy for £6.7 million in 1987?
>> 49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived wovld tvrn base
>> metals into gold?
>
> The Philosopher's Stone. Except in the US. :)
>
>> 50. In which city is the headqvarters of CNN?
>
> Atlanta.
>
>> 51. Which tax did VAT replace in 1973?
>> 52. Mavreen Rees fovnd fame on the TV in the 90s - doing what?
>> 53. What is the inscription on the Victoria Cross?
>
> For Valovr.
>
>> 54. Which comedy dvo lived in the Svffolk Village of Stackton Tressel?
>> 55. What name is given to a hill in the middle of any Greek city?
>
> Acropolis.
>
>> 56. In Birds of a Feather, what was the name of Dorien's hvsband?
>> 57. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
>> 58. Who designed the wedding dresses of the Princesses Elizabeth and
>> Margaret?
>> 59. Who was Neil Kinnock's depvty when he became leader of the Labovr Party?
>> 60. Which UK car manvfactvrer prodvced the 'Oxford'?

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the covntry always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sovnds like a drvm.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So tvrn on yovr headlights
and sovnd yovr horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

"Madelin McKinnon" <rstacey@rvnbox.com> wrote in message
> How do yov win a Cold War?
>
> The Cold war ended becavse of the cool, objective sanity of leaders
> like John F. Kennedy and Michael Gorbachev. Speaking at Reagan's
> fvneral. Michael Gorbachev made it clear that Reagan did not win the
> Cold War, when he said;
>
> "Was it accvrate to say that Reagan won the Cold War? That's not
> seriovs. I think we all lost the Cold War, particvlarly the Soviet
> Union... We only won when the Cold War ended."
>
> Michael Gorbachev may not be honored with a majestic fvneral, bvt he
> was the Soviet Union's John F. Kennedy, and it is important to note
> that Gorbachev and John F. Kennedy are responsible for ending the Cold
> War.
>

> http://www.geocities.com/mobaster/gipper.htm

I wovld like to hope that the USA will express a "majestic" attitvde toward
Comrade Gorbachev when he shvffles off this mortal coil.

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87ekoksjvi.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 8. Which was the high office held by Aaron Burr, Hubert H. Humphrey, and
>> Spiro T. Agnew?
>
> I'll leave this to non-Americans. ObTrivia: What phrase
> did Dick Cavett observe the last's name could anagram into?

Dunno. I spew into rag?

>> 14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tourists?
>
> Empire State Building?

It wasn't, but may well be now. To be honest, I don't think the answer
I'm looking for was correct in 2002, either, but I probably gave
additional data ("In 2000" maybe) when I asked it.

> For years in Boston, the answer to this question was not any
> historical site, but the Bull & Finch Pub, the inspiration for the TV
> show CHEERS.

I spent a few weeks in Boston without specifically going to look for
that (I wasn't old enough to go in, even if it did look like Cheers
inside) but it was quite a nice moment when I discovered it accidentally
and did a double-take.

>> 42. Which fruit is dried to make prunes?
>
> Again!?

Quite. Spooky coincidence, and two years apart, too.

All others correct.

"If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied."

Mark Brader wrote:

> Keith Willoughby writes:
>> (repost to rec.games.trivia, to add crosspost to rec.puzzles)
>
> I haven't looked at any answers in rec.games.trivia.
>
>> 4. Which job carries the official residence of 12 Downing Street?
>
> Home Secretary?

Nope.

>> 10. Which world leader was the most famous patient of Dr. Theodor Morrell?
>
> Shah of Iran?

Nope.

>> 29. All Quiet On The Western Front was set in which war?
>
> The Great War. (Well, it wasn't called the First World War yet...)

Yup. And are you looking at my bird?

>> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
>> (area of platforms, iirc)
>
> Waterloo, I think.

Nope.

>> 49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived would turn base
>> metals into gold?
>
> The Philosopher's Stone. Except in the US. :)

:)

Rest are correct, modulo the Empire State Building, which may be correct
now (see elsewhere in the thread)

Suddenly, it's Sooty

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Mark Brader wrote:
>> Keith Willoughby writes:
>>
>>>(repost to rec.games.trivia, to add crosspost to rec.puzzles)
>>
>>> This one is from 20020314
>>>
>>> Politics
>>> 1. Which future Prime Minister was Mayor of Stepney 1919-1920?
>
> Neville Chamberlain???

Nope.

>>> 7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?
>
> 1986?

Nope.

>>> 15. What is the name of the NYC venue where Frazier beat Ali in 1971, Joe
>>> Louis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew with
>>> Lennox Lewis?
>
> Madison Square Garden.

Yup! Different buildings for the various bouts, I would imagine, but the
same venue.

>>> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
>>> (area of platforms, iirc)
>> Waterloo, I think.
>
> York?

Nope!

"Anger is no substitute
For diciplined rebellion"

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tourists?
>
> Nowadays my guess is that it's the former WTC site.

OK, the answer I was looking for was the Statue of Liberty, but I
believe it's been closed since 2001. IIRC, I got the figures from the
NYC tourist authority website.

>> 15. What is the name of the NYC venue where Frazier beat Ali in 1971,
> Joe
>> Louis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew
> with
>> Lennox Lewis?
>
> Madison Square Garden, but that name has been applied to four different
> buildings in its history. The site of Louis-Walcott was different from the
> other two fights.

Hence "venue" rather than "building".

>> 28. Who played Paul McCartney's grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"?
>
> Wilfred Brimble (sp?)

Bramble, yes.

>> 43. What colour is Oxford Street on a monopoly board?
>> (You can tell the point in my quizzes where I start to lose
>> inspiration. It's when I ask a Monopoly board question)
>
> We colonials look askance on any running dog imperialist Brit attempts to
> pass off anything but the original as a "Monopoly board."

:)

>> 49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived would turn
> base
>> metals into gold?
>
> aqua regia

Not really an object, more a substance, I guess.

The others are correct.

What ain't we got? We ain't got mates

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> wrote in

>>> 7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?
>
> 1986?

Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-
tie a perfect stranger, you must be doing *something* right.
Marge Simpson, <http://www.snpp.com/episodes/7G01.html>

Ted S. wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> wrote in

>> 1986?
>>

> 1980

Correct.

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine
messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK

Phil Carmody wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
> Noone's tackled the arse end yet:
>
>> 57. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
>
> Mountbatten.

Yup.

>> 59. Who was Neil Kinnock's deputy when he became leader of the Labour Party?
>
> Woi? (or was it still the eyebrows?)

It was Woy Hattersley.

>> 60. Which UK car manufacturer produced the 'Oxford'?
>
> Morris Garages, I'd hope.

Morris is correct. ObQuiz: Which manufacturer produced the Cambridge?

"And the people who were choked by the reek of sties
did not get the bacon"
-- JB Priestley

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

in article 87llispb7o.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org, Keith Willoughby at
keith@flat222.org wrote on 6/12/04 8:12 PM:

> Phil Carmody wrote:
>
>> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>>
>> Noone's tackled the arse end yet:
>>
>>> 57. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
>>
>> Mountbatten.
>
> Yup.
>
>>> 59. Who was Neil Kinnock's deputy when he became leader of the Labour Party?
>>
>> Woi? (or was it still the eyebrows?)
>
> It was Woy Hattersley.
>
>>> 60. Which UK car manufacturer produced the 'Oxford'?
>>
>> Morris Garages, I'd hope.
>
> Morris is correct. ObQuiz: Which manufacturer produced the Cambridge?

Austin. We must have owned one of the only ones sold in North America.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

Noone's tackled the arse end yet:

> 57. Who was the last Viceroy of India?

Mountbatten.

> 59. Who was Neil Kinnock's deputy when he became leader of the Labour Party?

Woi? (or was it still the eyebrows?)

> 60. Which UK car manufacturer produced the 'Oxford'?

Morris Garages, I'd hope.

Phil
--
1st bug in MS win2k source code found after 20 minutes: scanline.cpp
2nd and 3rd bug found after 10 more minutes: gethost.c

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<cag23d$siv@dispatch.concentric.net>...
> "Madelin McKinnon" <rstacey@rvnbox.com> wrote in message
> > How do yov win a Cold War?
> >
> > The Cold war ended becavse of the cool, objective sanity of leaders
> > like John F. Kennedy and Michael Gorbachev. Speaking at Reagan's
> > fvneral. Michael Gorbachev made it clear that Reagan did not win the
> > Cold War, when he said;
> >
> > "Was it accvrate to say that Reagan won the Cold War? That's not
> > seriovs. I think we all lost the Cold War, particvlarly the Soviet
> > Union... We only won when the Cold War ended."
> >
> > Michael Gorbachev may not be honored with a majestic fvneral, bvt he
> > was the Soviet Union's John F. Kennedy, and it is important to note
> > that Gorbachev and John F. Kennedy are responsible for ending the Cold
> > War.
> >

> > http://www.geocities.com/mobaster/gipper.htm
>
> I wovld like to hope that the USA will express a "majestic" attitvde toward
> Comrade Gorbachev when he shvffles off this mortal coil.

Good idea.

:
: I'll leave this to non-Americans. ObTrivia: What phrase
: did Dick Cavett observe the last's name could anagram into?

The anagram discovered by Dick Cavett doesn't include the middle initial.

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Life is a blur of Republicans and meat." -- Zippy

Keith Willoughby writes:
> 15. What is the name of the NYC venue where Frazier beat Ali in 1971, Joe
> Louis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew with
> Lennox Lewis?
> Madison Square Gardens

Garden.

> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?

> Clapham Junction

I'm very suspicious of this answer. It's the *busiest*, but I don't
think it's the largest. The previous posting referred to the criterion
being total platform area.

My answer was Waterloo. Waterloo station has, in the main section,
1 single and 9 island platforms. The 19 faces are 571, 572, 580, 580,
702, 723, 798, 805, 827, 837, 817, 825, 830, 843, 857, 860, 869, 804,
and 804 feet long, or 763 feet on average. Then the International
section adds 1 single and 2 island platforms long enough for Eurostar
trains -- the trains are about 1,300 feet long -- and then Waterloo
(East) adds another 1 island and 2 single platforms, whose length I
do not have.

Waterloo (East) and Clapham Junction are both served by suburban or
regional trains, the same as the main Waterloo station, so their
platform lengths are probably in the same neighborhood of 700-800 feet.
And Clapham Junction has, as I recall, 16 platform faces in the form
of 8 islands -- certainly not much more than that.

Unless Clapham Junction has platforms twice as wide as Waterloo on
average -- and I think they're actually about the same -- Waterloo has
got to have more platform area.

As I recall, Victoria also has more than 20 platforms, but it doesn't
have a set of long platforms like Waterloo International.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Anyone who can handle a needle convincingly can make
msb@vex.net | us see a thread which is not there." --E.H. Gombrich

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby:
> > 11. Which one of New York's 5 boroughs is not on an island?
> > The Bronx

Jeffrey Turner:
> Actually, there's a small piece of Manhattan that's on the mainland,
> it's on the Bronx side of the Harlem River.

True, but the intent is clear. I mean, if we wanted to nitpick, we
could argue that none of the boroughs is on *an* island because they
all include multiple small islands. (Governors Island and Roosevelt
Island are in Manhattan, Hoffman Island and Swinburne Island are in
Staten Island, Rikers Island and City Island are in the Bronx, and
Brooklyn and Queens each include numerous islands in Jamaica Bay.)
But we were told not to do that, right?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pedantic and
msb@vex.net that's just as good." -- D Gary Grady

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 2. Who is the President of Sinn Fein?

McGviness

> 3. What is the name given to the practise of dividing a voting area so as to
> give advantage to one party?

Gerrymandering. Or Porterage.

> 4. Which job carries the official residence of 12 Downing Street?

Govt. Chief Whip

> 5. Who famovsly first said "A week is a long time in politics"?

H. Wilson

> 6. The Long Range Desert Grovp of WWII were the forervnners of which
> regiment?

SAS?

> 7. In which year did Rhodesia become Zimbabwe?

1978?

> 8. Which was the high office held by Aaron Bvrr, Hvbert H. Hvmphrey, and
> Spiro T. Agnew?

VPOTUS

> 11. Which one of New York's 5 borovghs is not on an island?

Qveens

> 12. What is the name of the NY island vsed for many years as an immigration
> centre?

Ellis

> 13. In 1965, the Beatles played in front of 60,000 fans at the home of the
> New York Mets baseball team. What is the name of that stadivm?

Shea

> 14. Which New York City attraction draws the most tovrists?

Statve Of Liberty?

> 15. What is the name of the NYC venve where Frazier beat Ali in 1971, Joe
> Lovis beat Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947, and Evander Holyfield drew with
> Lennox Lewis?

Madison Sqvare Garden

> 16. Whose backing band was "The Wailers"?
> (Didn't even remember asking this one before)

Don't forget the I-Threes

> 17. 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon" was a hit albvm for which grovp?

Floyd

> 19. The song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin featvred in which 1986 film?

Top Gvn

> 23. Complete the proverb - "Don't change horses . . ."

In midstream

> 24. "If I shovld die, think only this of me" is the opening line from a
> poem written by whom?

"The Soldier", Rvpert Brooke

> 25. Jvlian, Dick, Anne, and George, were fovr of the Famovs Five. Name the
> fifth. (Gareth knows this one)

<voice type="sovth park">Timmy </voice>

> 26. In which city was "The Fvll Monty" set?

Sheffield

> 27. What was the name of the compvter in "2001: A Space Oddyssey"?

Hal 9000

> 28. Who played Pavl McCartney's grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"?

Wilfred Bramble

> 29. All Qviet On The Western Front was set in which war?

WWI

> 30. Who played mob boss Spats Colvmbo in Some Like It Hot?

George Raft

> 32. Which covntry won the first Rvgby Union World Cvp in 1987?

NZ

> 33. Which sport has a tovrnament called a "basho"?

Svmo

> 34. Which English football team play at Pride Park?

Derby Covnty

> 35. Which horse is bvried at the winning post at Aintree?

Red Rvm

> 36. On which river does Rome stand?

Tiber

> 37. In which American city wovld yov find Dvlles and Ronald Reagan airports?

Washington DC

> 39. Which is the largest railway station in the UK?
> (area of platforms, iirc)

Good Qvestion. King's Cross?

> 40. Belgivm, The Netherlands, and which other covntry are known as the Low
> Covntries?

Lvxembovrg?

> 41. With how many tiles does a Scrabble player start?

7

> 42. Which frvit is dried to make prvnes?

Plvm

> 43. What colovr is Oxford Street on a monopoly board?

Green?

> 45. The BBC introdvced a new national mvsic radio station this week. What is
> it called? (2002, remember)

Six Mvsic, or possibly that Radio One "vrban" spinoff

> 47. How many cvbic centimetres are there in a cvbic metre?

100^3

> 48. What did bvsinessman Peter de Savray bvy for £6.7 million in 1987?

Don't know, bvt I was at University with his davghter.

> 49. What was the name of the object that alchemists belived wovld tvrn base
> metals into gold?

Philosopher's Stone

> 50. In which city is the headqvarters of CNN?

Atlanta?

> 52. Mavreen Rees fovnd fame on the TV in the 90s - doing what?

Driving badly

> 53. What is the inscription on the Victoria Cross?

"For Valovr"

> 55. What name is given to a hill in the middle of any Greek city?

Olympvs?

> 57. Who was the last Viceroy of India?

Movntbatten?

> 59. Who was Neil Kinnock's depvty when he became leader of the Labovr Party?

Hattersley?

> 60. Which UK car manvfactvrer prodvced the 'Oxford'?

Morris.
--
Gareth Owen
There are a finite nvmber of jokes in the vniverse.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> A few more of these not gotten. Mostly because Gareth wasn't around to
> get the Britcentric ones, I think.

Give me time man! I don't work Sundays, you know.
--
Gareth Owen
There are a finite number of jokes in the universe.

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> A few more of these not gotten. Mostly because Gareth wasn't around to
>> get the Britcentric ones, I think.
>
> Give me time man! I don't work Sundays, you know.

Noted.

"They've got to be protected
All their rights respected
Until somebody we like can be elected"