I think I am going to get an ATI, need some help..

MithrasCGI

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
I am in the market for a new graphics card and I have been trying to do some research for it to no avail. Everyhting I saw was pointing to the Nvidia fx5900 ultra until I read the post about the tomb raider benchmark. That pretty much assures me getting a ATI RADEON 9800 Pro.

Now here is my question...
is there really that much difference in the 128MB model and the 256MB model? is it worth $200 more? I mean I am coming from a geforce 2 here so ANYTHING will be better.

2nd question: just to make sure, the all-in-wonder 9800 Pro is the best card from them correct? all-in-wonder is not some kind of sub-catagory is it?

I know I might get a few noob bashings off of this but I need to know before I drop $300+

thanks.

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Any of those cards should be fine, 256ram doesn't make much difference. I think the all in wonder has extra features for video capture etc. not sure but.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

cleeve

Illustrious
The difference in 128 megs or 256 megs of memory is absolutely none, unless you're running at super-high resolutions *AND* multi-sample antialiassing (i.e. 1600 * 1200 with 4x AA) at the same time.

If you don't, the extra memory is a waste right now, as that memory is used for holding textures and there are no games made for 256 megs of textures. Even Doom3 was created for no more than 128 megs of textures.

Keep in mind that in a year or two, 256 megs of textures might allow increased texture detail in games of the future. But that's a long way off, and even when it happens games will support video cards with 128 megs.

The "All-in-wonder" versions of Ati cards means they have a TV tuner and video capture built in. It does not have any bearing on the performance of the cards.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

atfihunred

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2003
The All In Wonder 9600 Pro is said to be something really special.
Search out an article on it and see what you find, but check this one out first for $249 before you get the 9800 because I read somewhere that this is supposed to be different in features from any other AIW that ATI has done so far.
I think it's supposed to be out soon, but I don't know if it's on shelves yet.

AM37 2200+XP Thoro
WD 40.00 54
256mb Kingston
Xtacy ATI Radeon 9100 64mb

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
If all you do with your Vide o card is play games and other stuff then you won't need an All-in-wonder card as these cards are targeted to the developer's segement and people who want to use all kinds of cool extra features that 95%+ of the entire population has no use for. An all-in-wonder is completely functional for games as well if you plan on doing the extra stuff. $200 extra for 256 megs - its not worth it. THe 256 meg 9800 Pro doesn't really beat the 128 meg 9700 Pro. In fact, your best value for the high end segment would be to get a 9700 non-pro for about $200. THat's a terrific buy considering you won't see much difference between this and the newer cards that will sell for $400+. In fact the 9700 non-pro is what I reccomend. If you want to shovel out more cash for a top-notch card, the 9800 Pro is a MUCH better choice compared to the 5900 ULtra just like the Tombraider benchmarks show.

But before we go any further, tell us your system specs because that will be a tremendous variable in determining which Graphics card is best for you - like if you have 1.0 GHz A 9800 Pro probably won't be any faster than a 9500.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
The All-In-Wonder family is a sub-category with video editing/capture features built directly into the hardware and software so you don't require an adittional card. It's a good card for film and media students but not for the gamer.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Celeron? Pentium4? AthlonXP? And is that DDR or the old SD-RAM?

So far, it looks like you can see the benefit of 9700 or maybe even 9800 Pro possibly (Unless your running a Celeron with SD-RAM). But, IMO I would settle for a 128 meg 9700 non-pro still. I give it a 2 thumbs up! :smile:

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

MithrasCGI

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
oops sorry, P4 DDR.

So you are saying there is not much of a difference in the 9700 and the 9800? and why the 9700 non-pro? is there something wrong with the pro?

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
No, there is nothing wrong with any of the Pro versions of the 9700 or 9800, Its just plainly the best value in the high-end segment as far as bang for buck goes. All of these boards are terrific. P.S. I usally try to represent the voice of the value conscious buyer in my reccomendations. I rarely (if ever) reccomend spending more than $250 on a video card. There are usually better options for your money, and few will dissagree that won't get a better value with the 9700 non-pro 128 meg.

MithrasCGI

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
I think I am going to go with the AIW 9800 pro 128MB card. I have been saving for the card for awhile so the money is already there, I found one for $379 w/ free shipping so that already beats the $399 I was ready to pay for the FX 5900 ultra. I was not sure about the all-in-wonder aspect of it, but from the place I am getting it its only $15.50 more. I figure $15 to be able to watch TV is not too shabby.

P.S. I am looking at getting it from diymicro.com, I checked out some site reviews and they all seemed good. Know anythiing about them?

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Also, The 9500, 9600, 9700, & 9800 series of boards share the same feature set. So when you pay extra money, your not getting extra features, just a little better performance. All of the cards are going to run any DirectX 9 based engine well. And when DirectX 10 Video cards are available your going to be wondering why you shelled extra money on a product that will be a feature set behind. Trust me with any of these cards, your in the relatively same basic boat. Each of these 5 categories DOES have their strong points.

For exmaple: 9500 based cards are cheap and can potentially be softmodded into 9700 boards.

9600 boards are much more available than 9500 boards and sometimes better priced if you don't want to do softmodding. They are also good overclockers.

9700 cards are basically a High end card for cheap.

9800 - lets just say its only benefit is tht its the fastest card available on the market and if your willing to pay a <b> BUTTLOAD </b> of money to see a small improvement in speed over the 9700 I suppose you won't be disspointed even though I don't think its worth it.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
No, but if they do have good reviews that's probaby fine. Make sure they DO have a warrenty of AT LEAST 1 year. If they don't I would consider another vendore. P.S. I guess $15.50 extra isn't so bad to watch T.V. :smile: . I hope you really enjoy your card. You'll be stylin' with that baby for a year or perhaps longer. I posted my last post just right after your last post. Since you HAVE saved for a long time and are willing, you won't be dissapointed, the slightest.
This card will perform like a champ w00t!!!

MithrasCGI

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
UFO_WARVIPER I do thank you for all of your help. I must say this is the fastest response I have EVER gotten on any board for ANYTHING. I am going to have to sleep on this one over the weekend to make sure I am not just going for an impulse buy. I am going to also spend the weekend looking for the best price on both the 9700 and the 9800, if I can find a 9700 for a really good price then I will probably go for it since I am also looking at getting a flat panel monitor in the next few weeks.

If I come up with any more questions I know where to turn now. thanks again.

P.S. I will let ya know what I go with, probably still going to go with the 9800 I am just a power junkie like that ;-)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MithrasCGI on 08/28/03 04:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Your very welcome Mithras. I'm glad be of any service, feel Welcome to come back anytime. Also, after you buy your card, I'm interested in hearing your benchmarks and your exstatic reation to the obvious major performance boost. If you have any probs are questions feel welcome to come back.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a good card for film and media students but not for the gamer.

WTF! The AIW 9800 Pro has the same performance as the regular 9800 Pro. You sacrifice 1 monitor output and get in return 1 TV tuner. Plus the remote wonder and all that software. It would be a perfect card for gaming AND working with video. It's not called a "Video Editing 9800 Pro", it's called an "All In..." for a reason!

These cards would also be perfect for an HTPC, especially with a 1080i HDTV! Imagine gaming on a 52" screen at 1080x1920! W00T!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That monitor would be 10 inches short of my body height!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, and it could make 1st person shooters looke REALLY 1st person, with full scale oponents!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Yeah, but the res you suggested seems like it would be rather blocky on such a huMUNGous monitor. I bet even 1600X1200 would be blocky on a monitor that big, unless you backed up a few feet. It would probably be difficult to play on a monitor that big, because you would have to nod your head up and down, left and right just to view the other parts in your peripheral vision. Maybe, I'm just being a sickly pessimist though.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Another option to think over, although you seem to be gunning for a 9800pro, is a 9800<b>non</b>pro. I've done quite a bit of research(mine is coming in tomorrow! woot!) and for it's price and how closely it performs with the 9700pro, I think it's a great deal. $249 with free shipping at newegg. Also keep in mind that the Sapphire version is known to overclock to 9800pro speeds. If you are even thinking of a 9700pro, get the 9800np because it's basically the same card, but with more improved shaders etc. Better dx9 capabilities with a slightly slower clock speed than the 9700p.

Just a suggestion.

Have fun with whatever you decide to get!

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Keep in mind you have to get a new power supply if your current one is less than 300w, Radeon 9800p consume a lot of power. :tongue:

(Even 300w could be a problem if your system has cooling fans, multi HDD and other extra stuffs)