Pub Quiz 6

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

TV
1. What was George and Mildred's surname?
2. How did Simon Templar get the nickname 'The Saint'
3. Which ventriloquist partnered Lord Charles?
4. Which group of students attended Scumbag College?
5. On which show did Fred Housego make the news in 1980?
Natural World
6. Which deadly virus gets its name from a river in Zaire from where it
emerged in 1976?
7. How is the disease variola better known?
8. Apart from being the name of a racehorse, what are MacGillycuddy's Reeks?

I kid you not. Spooky co-incidence, eh?

9. Which is the largest island in the Mediterranean?
10. Which body of water separates Siberia and Alaska?
Sport
11. Which British ice-skater won European, World, and Olympic titles in 1976?
12. Which was the last non-Glasgow team to win the Scottish Football League?
13. Which country's Grand Prix is held in Estoril?
14. In which sport was Boris Spassky a world champion?
15. What nationality was gymnas Nadia Comaneci?
Literature
16. Who wrote the poem "Ode to a Haggis"?
17. Which American town was the subject of Arthur Miller's play, The
Crucible?
18. Which Bronte wrote the Tenant of Wildfell Hall?
19. What was the surname of the Captain of the Pequod in Moby Dick?
20. Who wrote Little Women?
Music
21. Of which chart-topping band was Kurt Cobain the lead singer?
22. Who had a hit with 'Funky Moped' in 1975?
23. Jazz musician Gene Krupa played which instrument?
24. Which Italian composed The William Tell Overture?
25. With which instrument is Ravi Shankar most associated?
Films
26. In the 1954 sci-fi film Them!, what were them?
27. What was Crocodile Dundee's first name?
28. In Star Wars, what type of creature was Chewbacca?
29. In Carry On Follow That Camel, who played Seargeant Nocker?
30. How many Oscars did John Wayne win?
General Knowledge
31. Who partnered Peter Sellers on the top 10 hit Goodness Gracious Me?

Jeez. I had no idea I repeat questions so often.

32. In which French city are the headquarters of Interpol?
33. In which town did Desparate Dan live?
34. Which company was responsible for the Bhopal chemical distaster?
35. Who played Tommy Steele in the film, The Tommy Steele Story?
36. If the east is Oriental, what is the West?
37. In the Bible, for how many pieces of silver did Judas betray Jesus?
38. In geometry, how many minutes are there in a degree?
39. How is diamorphine hydrochloride better known?
40. What would a Scotsman do with a spurtle?
41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?
42. Which pleasure boat was sunk by the Bow Belle on the Thames in 1989?
43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?
44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?
45. Who was the last Liberal Prime Minster of the UK?
46. On which river does Inverness stand?
47. Sarah Keays gave birth to a daughter, Flora, in December 1983. Who was
the famous father?
48. In which hand does the Statue of Liberty hold her torch
49. Which oil tanker ran aground on Bligh Island in 1989
50. What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch
51. In which British city is Ringway airport?
52. If cows are bovine, what are bears?
53. How many locks does the Suez canal have?
54. In which US state is the city of Seattle?
55. The Romans called it Eboracum. What did the Vikings call it?
56. Electrum is an alloy of which two metals?
57. Which company claimed to be the fourth emergency service?
58. Who did John Hinkley Jr. try to assassinate in 1981?
59. In which town are the headquarters of the Open University?
60. Which island country is divided into the counties of Cornwall, Middlesex,
and Sussex?

Jose Padilla - charge him or release him. http://www.chargepadilla.org/

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87d642jje6.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

> 13. Which country's Grand Prix is held in Estoril?
Portugal

-- Jarmo

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87d642jje6.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> TV
> 1. What was George and Mildred's surname?
> 2. How did Simon Templar get the nickname 'The Saint'
> 3. Which ventriloquist partnered Lord Charles?
> 4. Which group of students attended Scumbag College?
> 5. On which show did Fred Housego make the news in 1980?
> Natural World
> 6. Which deadly virus gets its name from a river in Zaire from where it
> emerged in 1976?

Ebola

> 7. How is the disease variola better known?
> 8. Apart from being the name of a racehorse, what are MacGillycuddy's Reeks?
>
> I kid you not. Spooky co-incidence, eh?
>
> 9. Which is the largest island in the Mediterranean?

Cyprus?

> 10. Which body of water separates Siberia and Alaska?

Bering Strait

> Sport
> 11. Which British ice-skater won European, World, and Olympic titles in 1976?
> 12. Which was the last non-Glasgow team to win the Scottish Football League?
> 13. Which country's Grand Prix is held in Estoril?
> 14. In which sport was Boris Spassky a world champion?

Chess is a sport?

> 15. What nationality was gymnas Nadia Comaneci?

Romanian

> Literature
> 16. Who wrote the poem "Ode to a Haggis"?
> 17. Which American town was the subject of Arthur Miller's play, The Crucible?

Salem, Massachusetts

> 18. Which Bronte wrote the Tenant of Wildfell Hall?
> 19. What was the surname of the Captain of the Pequod in Moby Dick?

Ahab

> 20. Who wrote Little Women?

Louisa May Alcott

> Music
> 21. Of which chart-topping band was Kurt Cobain the lead singer?
> 22. Who had a hit with 'Funky Moped' in 1975?

“Weird Al” Yankovic?

> 23. Jazz musician Gene Krupa played which instrument?

drums

> 24. Which Italian composed The William Tell Overture?

Rossini?

> 25. With which instrument is Ravi Shankar most associated?

sitar

> Films
> 26. In the 1954 sci-fi film Them!, what were them?

very large ants

> 27. What was Crocodile Dundee's first name?
> 28. In Star Wars, what type of creature was Chewbacca?

Wookie

> 29. In Carry On Follow That Camel, who played Seargeant Nocker?
> 30. How many Oscars did John Wayne win?

none?

> General Knowledge
> 31. Who partnered Peter Sellers on the top 10 hit Goodness Gracious Me?
>
> Jeez. I had no idea I repeat questions so often.
>
> 32. In which French city are the headquarters of Interpol?

Marseille?

> 33. In which town did Desparate Dan live?
> 34. Which company was responsible for the Bhopal chemical distaster?

Monsanto

> 35. Who played Tommy Steele in the film, The Tommy Steele Story?
> 36. If the east is Oriental, what is the West?

Occidental

> 37. In the Bible, for how many pieces of silver did Judas betray Jesus?
> 38. In geometry, how many minutes are there in a degree?

60

> 39. How is diamorphine hydrochloride better known?

heroin?

> 40. What would a Scotsman do with a spurtle?

What would he do with one?

> 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?

cat, Felix?

> 42. Which pleasure boat was sunk by the Bow Belle on the Thames in 1989?
> 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?

dinosaur

> 44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?

2 New Mexico, Texas

> 45. Who was the last Liberal Prime Minster of the UK?
> 46. On which river does Inverness stand?
> 47. Sarah Keays gave birth to a daughter, Flora, in December 1983. Who was
> the famous father?
> 48. In which hand does the Statue of Liberty hold her torch

left? If not, then I'll change my answer to right.

> 49. Which oil tanker ran aground on Bligh Island in 1989
> 50. What kind of animal is a Suffolk Punch
> 51. In which British city is Ringway airport?
> 52. If cows are bovine, what are bears?

ursine

> 53. How many locks does the Suez canal have?
> 54. In which US state is the city of Seattle?
> 55. The Romans called it Eboracum. What did the Vikings call it?
> 56. Electrum is an alloy of which two metals?
> 57. Which company claimed to be the fourth emergency service?
> 58. Who did John Hinkley Jr. try to assassinate in 1981?

St. Ronald

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1. What was George and Mildred's svrname?

Roper

> 2. How did Simon Templar get the nickname 'The Saint'

From his initials.

> 3. Which ventriloqvist partnered Lord Charles?

Ray ... something or other.

> 4. Which grovp of stvdents attended Scvmbag College?

The Yovng Ones.
ObTrivia : Which institvtion did they play on "University Challenge"

> 5. On which show did Fred Hovsego make the news in 1980?

He one Mastermind.

> 6. Which deadly virvs gets its name from a river in Zaire from where it
> emerged in 1976?

Ebola?

> 8. Apart from being the name of a racehorse, what are MacGillycvddy's Reeks?

Movntains in Ireland

> 9. Which is the largest island in the Mediterranean?

Sicily?

> 10. Which body of water separates Siberia and Alaska?

Bering Straits

> 11. Which British ice-skater won Evropean, World, and Olympic titles in
> 1976?

Robin Covsins

> 12. Which was the last non-Glasgow team to win the Scottish Football
> Leagve?

Aberdeen (circa Sir Alex)?

> 14. In which sport was Boris Spassky a world champion?

Chess

> 15. What nationality was gymnas Nadia Comaneci?

Romanian

> 16. Who wrote the poem "Ode to a Haggis"?

Bvrns

> 17. Which American town was the svbject of Arthvr Miller's, The Crvcible?

Salem, MA

> 19. What was the svrname of the Captain of the Peqvod in Moby Dick?

Ahab

> 20. Who wrote Little Women?

Lovisa May Alcott

> 21. Of which chart-topping band was Kvrt Cobain the lead singer?

"Teen Spirit" was a nvmber one? Cool

> 22. Who had a hit with 'Fvnky Moped' in 1975?

The Goodies

> 23. Jazz mvsician Gene Krvpa played which instrvment?

Drvms

> 24. Which Italian composed The William Tell Overtvre?

Rossini (again?)

> 25. With which instrvment is Ravi Shankar most associated?

Sitar

> 26. In the 1954 sci-fi film Them!, what were them?

Really big ants

> 27. What was Crocodile Dvndee's first name?

Mick

> 28. In Star Wars, what type of creatvre was Chewbacca?

Wookie

> 29. In Carry On Follow That Camel, who played Seargeant Nocker?

Phil Silver

> 30. How many Oscars did John Wayne win?

One?

> 31. Who partnered Peter Sellers on the top 10 hit Goodness Graciovs Me?

Sofia Loren

> 33. In which town did Desparate Dan live?

Cactvsville

> 34. Which company was responsible for the Bhopal chemical distaster?

Union Carbide

> 35. Who played Tommy Steele in the film, The Tommy Steele Story?

Tommy Steele

> 36. If the east is Oriental, what is the West?

Occidental

> 37. In the Bible, for how many pieces of silver did Jvdas betray Jesvs?

30

> 38. In geometry, how many minvtes are there in a degree?

60

> 39. How is diamorphine hydrochloride better known?

Heroin

> 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?

Rodents?

> 42. Which pleasvre boat was svnk by the Bow Belle on the Thames in 1989?

Marchioness

> 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?

Tyrannosavr

> 44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?

None?

> 46. On which river does Inverness stand?

The Ness

> 47. Sarah Keays gave birth to a davghter, Flora, in December 1983. Who was
> the famovs father?

Cecil "Scvmbag" Parkinson

> 48. In which hand does the Statve of Liberty hold her torch

Her own... left?

> 50. What kind of animal is a Svffolk Pvnch

Horse (also a make of lawnmower)

> 51. In which British city is Ringway airport?

None. It was in Manchester, and is now Manchester Airport.

> 52. If cows are bovine, what are bears?

Ursine

> 53. How many locks does the Svez canal have?

None?

> 54. In which US state is the city of Seattle?

WA

> 55. The Romans called it Eboracvm. What did the Vikings call it?

Jorvik?

> 56. Electrvm is an alloy of which two metals?

Silver and gold? (Is my well-hidden D&D past coming ovt?)

> 57. Which company claimed to be the fovrth emergency service?

The AA. Which really pissed off the lifeboat service.

> 58. Who did John Hinkley Jr. try to assassinate in 1981?

Ron Reagan.

> 59. In which town are the headqvarters of the Open University?

Milton Keynes

> 60. Which island covntry is divided into the covnties of Cornwall, Middlesex,
> and Svssex?

Damn. I think I've set this one, too.
--
Gareth Owen
People will remember yov better if yov always wear the same ovtfit.

Gareth Owen wrote:
> Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>

>>1. What was George and Mildred's svrname?
>

> Roper
>

>>2. How did Simon Templar get the nickname 'The Saint'
>

> From his initials.
>

>>3. Which ventriloqvist partnered Lord Charles?
>

> Ray ... something or other.
>

>>4. Which grovp of stvdents attended Scvmbag College?
>

> The Yovng Ones.
> ObTrivia : Which institvtion did they play on "University Challenge"
>

>>5. On which show did Fred Hovsego make the news in 1980?
>

> He one Mastermind.
>

>>6. Which deadly virvs gets its name from a river in Zaire from where it
>>emerged in 1976?
>

> Ebola?
>

>>8. Apart from being the name of a racehorse, what are MacGillycvddy's Reeks?
>

> Movntains in Ireland
>

>>9. Which is the largest island in the Mediterranean?
>

> Sicily?

Cyprvs?

>> 10. Which body of water separates Siberia and Alaska?
>

> Bering Straits
>

>>11. Which British ice-skater won Evropean, World, and Olympic titles in
>>1976?
>

> Robin Covsins
>

>> 12. Which was the last non-Glasgow team to win the Scottish Football
>> Leagve?
>

> Aberdeen (circa Sir Alex)?
>

>> 14. In which sport was Boris Spassky a world champion?
>

> Chess
>

>> 15. What nationality was gymnas Nadia Comaneci?
>

> Romanian
>

>> 16. Who wrote the poem "Ode to a Haggis"?
>

> Bvrns
>

>>17. Which American town was the svbject of Arthvr Miller's, The Crvcible?
>

> Salem, MA
>

>> 19. What was the svrname of the Captain of the Peqvod in Moby Dick?
>

> Ahab
>

>> 20. Who wrote Little Women?
>

> Lovisa May Alcott
>

>> 21. Of which chart-topping band was Kvrt Cobain the lead singer?
>

> "Teen Spirit" was a nvmber one? Cool
>

>> 22. Who had a hit with 'Fvnky Moped' in 1975?
>

> The Goodies
>

>> 23. Jazz mvsician Gene Krvpa played which instrvment?
>

> Drvms
>

>> 24. Which Italian composed The William Tell Overtvre?
>

> Rossini (again?)
>

>> 25. With which instrvment is Ravi Shankar most associated?
>

> Sitar
>

>> 26. In the 1954 sci-fi film Them!, what were them?
>

> Really big ants
>

>> 27. What was Crocodile Dvndee's first name?
>

> Mick
>

>> 28. In Star Wars, what type of creatvre was Chewbacca?
>

> Wookie
>

>> 29. In Carry On Follow That Camel, who played Seargeant Nocker?
>

> Phil Silver
>

>> 30. How many Oscars did John Wayne win?
>

> One?
>

>> 31. Who partnered Peter Sellers on the top 10 hit Goodness Graciovs Me?
>

> Sofia Loren
>

>> 33. In which town did Desparate Dan live?
>

> Cactvsville
>

>> 34. Which company was responsible for the Bhopal chemical distaster?
>

> Union Carbide

Now a part of Dow Chemical

>> 35. Who played Tommy Steele in the film, The Tommy Steele Story?
>

> Tommy Steele
>

>> 36. If the east is Oriental, what is the West?
>

> Occidental
>

>> 37. In the Bible, for how many pieces of silver did Jvdas betray Jesvs?
>

> 30
>

>> 38. In geometry, how many minvtes are there in a degree?
>

> 60
>

>> 39. How is diamorphine hydrochloride better known?
>

> Heroin
>

>> 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?
>

> Rodents?
>

>> 42. Which pleasvre boat was svnk by the Bow Belle on the Thames in 1989?
>

> Marchioness
>

>> 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?
>

> Tyrannosavr
>

>> 44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?
>

> None?

Two - Texas, New Mexico.

>> 46. On which river does Inverness stand?
>

> The Ness
>

>> 47. Sarah Keays gave birth to a davghter, Flora, in December 1983. Who was
>> the famovs father?
>

> Cecil "Scvmbag" Parkinson
>

>> 48. In which hand does the Statve of Liberty hold her torch
>

> Her own... left?

Right, left is her book, IIRC.

>> 50. What kind of animal is a Svffolk Pvnch
>

> Horse (also a make of lawnmower)
>

>> 51. In which British city is Ringway airport?
>

> None. It was in Manchester, and is now Manchester Airport.
>

>> 52. If cows are bovine, what are bears?
>

> Ursine
>

>> 53. How many locks does the Svez canal have?
>

> None?
>

>> 54. In which US state is the city of Seattle?
>

> WA
>

>> 55. The Romans called it Eboracvm. What did the Vikings call it?
>

> Jorvik?
>

>> 56. Electrvm is an alloy of which two metals?
>

> Silver and gold? (Is my well-hidden D&D past coming ovt?)
>

>> 57. Which company claimed to be the fovrth emergency service?
>

> The AA. Which really pissed off the lifeboat service.
>

>> 58. Who did John Hinkley Jr. try to assassinate in 1981?
>

> Ron Reagan.
>

>> 59. In which town are the headqvarters of the Open University?
>

> Milton Keynes
>

>>60. Which island covntry is divided into the covnties of Cornwall, Middlesex,
>>and Svssex?
>

> Damn. I think I've set this one, too.

--
Loyalty to the covntry always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sovnds like a drvm.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So tvrn on yovr headlights
and sovnd yovr horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
> >
> > 28. In Star Wars, what type of creature was Chewbacca?
>
> Wookie

Wookiee. :)

> > 30. How many Oscars did John Wayne win?
>
> One?

One for "True Grit," I think, but surely there was another one?

> > 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?
>
> Rodents?

Whaa...?! An ocelot is a cat; the trick is remembering how big a
"family" is, taxonomically speaking. I would guess "Felidae."

> > 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?
>
> Tyrannosaur

Dinosaur. (Like Phobos and Deimos, fear and terror; or
Deinonychus, terrible something-else --- probably "claw.")

> > 44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?
>
> None?

New Mexico.

> > 48. In which hand does the Statue of Liberty hold her torch
>
> Her own... left?

Thinking back to "Planet of the Apes"... I think you're right. :)

> > 56. Electrum is an alloy of which two metals?
>
> Silver and gold? (Is my well-hidden D&D past coming out?)

Yep. But you could always claim an Egyptology background. They
liked electrum too. :)

-Arthur

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

>Gareth Owen wrote:
>> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>>
>>> 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?
>>

>> Rodents?

Felis

>>> 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?
>>

>> Tyrannosaur
I thought it was dinosaur

Barb

matt wrote:
> "Jeffrey Tvrner" <jtvrner@localnet.com> wrote:
>>Gareth Owen wrote:

>>>Roper

>>>From his initials.

>>>Ray ... something or other.

>>>The Yovng Ones.
>>>ObTrivia : Which institvtion did they play on "University Challenge"

>>>He one Mastermind.

>>>Ebola?

>> Reeks?
>>>
>>>Movntains in Ireland

>>>Sicily?
>>
>>Cyprvs?
>
> If by Area - got to be Sicily or Sardinia

>>>Bering Straits

>>>Robin Covsins

>>>Aberdeen (circa Sir Alex)?

>>>Chess

>>>Romanian

>>>Bvrns

>> Crvcible?
>>>
>>>Salem, MA

>>>Ahab
>
> OBPvzzle
>
> What was the name of his First Mate - whose name was taken by a very famovs
> retail chain?

Terribly embarassing. I live in Melville's old hometown, also in MA.

>>>Lovisa May Alcott

of Concord, MA. Maybe we need a Massachvsetts Pvb Qviz.

Bermvda? Second go, Jamaica.

--Jeff

--

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> He one Mastermind.

*crunch* *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*

OK, I'll stop hitting my head on the table now.

--
Gareth Owen
People will remember you better if you always wear the same outfit.

In rec.games.trivia Arthur J. O'Dwyer <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

:> > 30. How many Oscars did John Wayne win?
:>
:> One?
:
: One for "True Grit," I think, but surely there was another one?

He was nominated (but did not win) for "The Sands of Iwo Jima."

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> 3. Which ventriloquist partnered Lord Charles?
>
> Ray ... something or other.

Yup.

>> 5. On which show did Fred Housego make the news in 1980?
>
> He one Mastermind.

Yes, he is.

>> 11. Which British ice-skater won European, World, and Olympic titles in
>> 1976?
>
> Robin Cousins

Nope. Cousins was 1980.

>> 21. Of which chart-topping band was Kurt Cobain the lead singer?
>
> "Teen Spirit" was a number one? Cool

Don't think so. Nevermind was, though.

>> 22. Who had a hit with 'Funky Moped' in 1975?
>
> The Goodies

Nope. They did The Funky Gibbon.

Ah, the 70s.

>> 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?
>
> Rodents?

Nope

>> 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?
>
> Tyrannosaur

Nope. You did make me doubt myself enough to look it up, though.

>> 44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?
>
> None?

Nope.

>> 48. In which hand does the Statue of Liberty hold her torch
>
> Her own... left?

No. Anyone else?

>> 51. In which British city is Ringway airport?
>
> None. It was in Manchester, and is now Manchester Airport.

Bah! Was it correct in 2002?

>> 56. Electrum is an alloy of which two metals?
>
> Silver and gold? (Is my well-hidden D&D past coming out?)

<snigger>

Others correct.

Oh. Dog and a beer.

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Gareth Owen wrote:
>>Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>>

>>> 21. Of which chart-topping band was Kurt Cobain the lead singer?
>>
>>"Teen Spirit" was a number one? Cool
>

> Don't think so. Nevermind was, though.

Heaven, I'm in heaven - Buddhist variant.

>>> 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?
>>
>>Rodents?
>
> Nope

Mustelids?

>>> 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?
>>
>>Tyrannosaur
>
> Nope. You did make me doubt myself enough to look it up, though.

Is it bronto- or apato-?

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

Archived from groups: rec.puzzles,rec.games.trivia (More info?)

> Gareth Owen wrote:
>
> > Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 22. Who had a hit with 'Funky Moped' in 1975?
> >
> > The Goodies
>
> Nope. They did The Funky Gibbon.
>
> Ah, the 70s.

Indeed.

Jasper Carrot is the artiste in question here.

AndrewR

Jeffrey Tvrner wrote:

> Gareth Owen wrote:
>>>9. Which is the largest island in the Mediterranean?
>> Sicily?
>
> Cyprvs?

Sicily is correct.

>>> 34. Which company was responsible for the Bhopal chemical distaster?
>> Union Carbide
>
> Now a part of Dow Chemical

I cycled past one of their plants, in Barry, yesterday. Bastards.

>>> 44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?
>> None?
>
> Two - Texas, New Mexico.

Correct.

>>> 48. In which hand does the Statve of Liberty hold her torch
>> Her own... left?
>
> Right, left is her book, IIRC.

Correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"The men who rvn the world are democrats at home and dictators abroad."

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>>>Sicily?
>>
>>Cyprus?
>
> Sicily is correct.

She was quite an actor, too. :)

--Jeff

--

Keith Willovghby wrote:
> Jeffrey Tvrner wrote:
>>Gareth Owen wrote:
>>> Keith Willovghby posed:

>>>Union Carbide
>>
>>Now a part of Dow Chemical
>
> I cycled past one of their plants, in Barry, yesterday. Bastards.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a very appropriate reason for Union
Carbide to be an answer in a British Pvb Qviz, what is it?

--Jeff

--

Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Gareth Owen wrote:
>>
>> > 30. How many Oscars did John Wayne win?
>>
>> One?
>
> One for "True Grit," I think, but surely there was another one?

Nope, that was it.

Unless he won a special Oscar, of course. If I were setting this
question now, I'd have asked "For how many films . . ."

>> > 41. Of which animal family is an ocelot a member?
>>
>> Rodents?
>
> Whaa...?! An ocelot is a cat; the trick is remembering how big a
> "family" is, taxonomically speaking. I would guess "Felidae."

I was looking for 'cat'. It's a pub quiz, not an exam :)

>> > 43. Which Greek word means terrible lizard?
>>
>> Tyrannosaur
>
> Dinosaur.

Yup.

>> > 44. How many of the United States have an 'x' in their name?
>>
>> None?
>
> New Mexico.

And Texas.

The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> >> 22. Who had a hit with 'Funky Moped' in 1975?
> >
> > The Goodies
>
> Nope. They did The Funky Gibbon. Ah, the 70s.

Must read question properly .... That'll be Jasper Carrott.

> >> 51. In which British city is Ringway airport?
> >
> > None. It was in Manchester, and is now Manchester Airport.
>
> Bah! Was it correct in 2002?

Err. No.

It was correct in 1952, but that year became Manchester Airport.
In 1975 it was renamed Manchester International Airport, but now its plain old
Manchester Airport again.

Of course, some still call it Ringway.

--
Gareth Owen
You have selected "Agent Zero". If this is correct, press 1.

I think these are still open. Keith Willoughby writes:

> 7. How is the disease variola better known?

Smallpox.

> 40. What would a Scotsman do with a spurtle?

Wear it on his kilt.

> 49. Which oil tanker ran aground on Bligh Island in 1989

Torrey Canyon.
--
Mark Brader "Metal urgy. The urge to use metals.
Toronto That was humans, all right."

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87d642jje6.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 14. In which sport was Boris Spassky a world champion?
>
> Chess is a sport?

I'm not svre what else to call it.

>> 22. Who had a hit with 'Fvnky Moped' in 1975?
>
> Weird Al Yankovic?

Jasper Carrot. British comedian and actor.

>> 32. In which French city are the headqvarters of Interpol?
>
> Marseille?

Nope.

>> 34. Which company was responsible for the Bhopal chemical distaster?
>
> Monsanto

Union Carbide

Others correct.

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
"Svspected mvrderer of Tvpac mvrder svspect mvrdered"

Andrewr At Work wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>
>> Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > The Goodies
>>
>> Nope. They did The Funky Gibbon.
>>
>> Ah, the 70s.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Jasper Carrot is the artiste in question here.

Correct.

ObTrivia: What was the B-Side to Funky Moped?

I hate you, Butler

Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > None. It was in Manchester, and is now Manchester Airport.
>>
>> Bah! Was it correct in 2002?
>
> Err. No.
>
> It was correct in 1952, but that year became Manchester Airport.
> In 1975 it was renamed Manchester International Airport, but now its plain old
> Manchester Airport again.

Cool, ta.

> Of course, some still call it Ringway.

Aye. The answer to "What is the airport in Manchester called?" may not
be Ringway anymore, but I think the question I asked is correct enough.

What's that word for a question that is built on an incorrect premise?
Like "What is Switzerland's biggest seaside town?". I'm sure there's a
word for it.

"She rubs the Sunlight soap around by Claddagh
Just to watch the suds flow down by Galway Bay"

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> matt wrote:
>>> Middlesex,

> Bermuda? Second go, Jamaica.

Jamaica is correct.

Twll Dyn Pob Saes

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> > Robin Cousins
>
> Nope. Cousins was 1980.

Someone Currie? Possibly John.
--
Gareth Owen
If triangles had a God, He'd have three sides

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> > Robin Cousins
>>
>> Nope. Cousins was 1980.
>
> Someone Currie? Possibly John.

John Curry is correct.

"What is certain is that I am no Marxist"
-- Karl Marx