Pub Quiz 7

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2004 10:13:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

This from 20020815

Music
1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
tune"?
4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
Capital cities
6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
people?
History
11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
TV
16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
Peter floor?
19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
Hobbies
21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
name with a hobby?
25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
Books
26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
attempted to ban?
27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
Sport
31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
Food and Drink
36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
39. What is sake primarily made from?
40. What type of food is arborio?
General Knowledge
41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
of Technology in 1979?
52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
53. In which US state are the Everglades?
54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
59. Harvard university is in which US state?
60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

More about : pub quiz

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:13:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

I get by with a little help from my friends (Beatles)

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
Nigeria

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?
> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
sax

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
a cave

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?
Trainspotting?

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
rings bells

> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
Dame Agatha?

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
Bourbon

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
Orange

> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
Mexico

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?
Rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
Rice again

> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
American Revolution

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
Dolman?

> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
1930's?

> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
Othello

> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
Timothy MacViegh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
The Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
Massachusetts

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:13:24 PM

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>
>>This from 20020815
>>
>> Music
>> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
>
> cliff richard
>
>> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
>
> Elvis
>
>> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
>> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
>> tune"?
>
> I get by with a little help from my Friends
>
>> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
>
> puccinni
>
>> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
>> Capital cities
>> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
>
> berlin
>
>> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
>
> ethiopia
>
>> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>

>> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
>
> uae
>
>> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
>> people?
>
> Liechtenstein
>
>> History
>> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
>
> 3 -edward harold and william?
>
>> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
>
> dybdybdyb baden-powel
>
>> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
>
> napolean
>
>> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?

Rasputin

> [...]
>
>> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
>
> brussels
>
>> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
>
> raglan
>
>> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
>
> 30s
>
>> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
>> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
>
> othello or was it iago
>
>> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
>> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
>
> Institute
>
>> of Technology in 1979?
>> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
>> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
>
> florida
>
>> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
>> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
>> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Richard M. Nixon

>> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
>
> knesset
>
>> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
>> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
>
> massachussets
>
>> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
>
> canada
>
>>--
>>Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
>>Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

With a Little Help From My Friends

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

Giacomo Puccini (not Rossini!)

> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

Ethiopia

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

Switzerland

> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)

United Arab Emirates

> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?
> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

Helmut Kohl

> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?

philately

> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

caves

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares
its
> name with a hobby?
> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British
government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

I want this to be Nigella Lawson's father, but that's obviously not right

> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp

Primo Carnera

> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

Lance Armstrong. It's *always* Lance Armstrong.

> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?

(blended) whiskey and sweet vermouth

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

Mexico

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

a crossword puzzle

> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

The Glorious Uprising of the People Against the Hegemony of their Oppressors
the Running Dog Imperialist Brits

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

1930's

> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?

Flo

> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Richard Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

the Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

Botswana

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

Massachusetts

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Russia
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:46:41 PM

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> matches

Sorta.

>> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> fruit?

Nope.

>> General Knowledge
>> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> the mounties - nah cant be

Sorta. Looking for the name, rather than the nickname.

>> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> othello or was it iago

Othello

Rest correct.

"I dwelt alone in a world of moan And my soul was a stagnant tide"
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:02:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of tune"?

With A Little Help From My Friends

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

Ethiopia

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

Liechtenstein?

> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?

Liechtenstein?

> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

2?

> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

saxophone

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

caves

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?

Trainspotting

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

A Tale Of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

Spain?

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?

Royal Canadian Mounted Police

> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?

Raglan?

> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?

Flo

> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh, and just recently, Terry Nichols

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

Botswanna?

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Australia?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
Anonymous

Mark Brader wrote:

>> > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>
> Madrid.

Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
argument about this already in rgt.

>> > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
>
> Willy Brandt?

No.

Rest correct.

"Everything is broken"
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

>> Madrid.

Obviously, I misread that as "Which {European country's capital} is...".
Read "Spain".

> Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
> argument about this already in rgt.

Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
that's a capital, or something like that.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
msb@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions

June 15, 2004 12:17:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

I get by with a little help from my friends.
-- Beatles

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

Puccini

> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?

> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?

> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

The year of the Norman Conquest!
Two? -- One being William the Conquerer

> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?

Rasputin

> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

Helmot Kohl (sp?)

> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

Saxophone

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?

> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

Caves

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?
> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby

> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?

Agatha Christie

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?

> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?

Whiskey (bourbon) and Sweet Vermouth.

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

Rice.

> 40. What type of food is arborio?

> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

U.S. Revolution

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

1920s?

> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?

Iago

> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Richard M. Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

Massachusetts

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Canada?
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 2:38:32 AM

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
> that's a capital, or something like that.

Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>
>>Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
>>that's a capital, or something like that.
>
> Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
> Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.

Switzerland?

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:09:33 AM

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>
> Liechtenstein?

Andorra is what I'm looking for

>> History
>> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
>
> 2?

3. Ed the Confessor, Harold One-Eye, and Bill The Conk.

>> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
>
> Australia?

Upper USA^W^WCanada. :)

It's worse than Benny Hill, and that's bad enough
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:09:54 AM

Mark Brader wrote:

>>> Madrid.
>
> Obviously, I misread that as "Which {European country's capital} is...".
> Read "Spain".
>
>> Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
>> argument about this already in rgt.
>
> Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
> that's a capital, or something like that.

Yes, Andorra is what I was looking for.

"Some cursed, some prayed, some prayed then cursed"
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:11:58 AM

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> Nigeria

Ethiopia
>> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> Bourbon

Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

>> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> Mexico

Spain.

>> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> Dolman?

Raglan

Others correct.

http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway...
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:11:59 AM

> Barbara Bailey wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> > <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> >> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> > Nigeria
>
> Ethiopia
> >> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> > Bourbon
>
> Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

Bartending is a craft, not a science. If Ms. Bailey is making them with
bourbon, I'm not going to turn down her invitation. Tradition suggests
whiskey.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:11:59 AM

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Barbara Bailey wrote:

>>> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
>>
>>Bourbon
>

> Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.
--Mark Twain

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:14:37 AM

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
>
> Giacomo Puccini (not Rossini!)

For once!

>> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>
> Switzerland

Andorra, threads passim.

>> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
>
> I want this to be Nigella Lawson's father, but that's obviously not right

And, amazingly enough, it *is* correct. Nigel Lawson, who lost a
staggering amoung of weight and then wrote a book about it.

>> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
>
> Mexico

Second answer of Mexico. I have Spain, but now of course I'm doubting
myself.

>> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
>
> The Glorious Uprising of the People Against the Hegemony of their Oppressors
> the Running Dog Imperialist Brits

Best answer so far, and the most correct.

>> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
>
> Russia

Canada.

Others correct.

"The pride and luxury in which he was educated had not allowed him to suspect
that there existed on the earth any power presumptuous enough to invade the
repose of the successor of Augustus." - Gibbon
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:37:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?
With A little help from my Friends
> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?
> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
Helmut Kohl
> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
Saxophone
> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
Caves
> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?
Trainspotting (though IIRC the movie had little to do with)
> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
The Godfather
> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
Lance Armstrong
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> 39. What is sake primarily made from?
Rice (even though It's called a Wine it's production process more
resembles Beer)
> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
The U.S. Revolution
> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
Timothy McVeigh
> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
Florida
> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
Richard Nixon
> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
Kenesset
> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
Massachusets
> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:55:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

I haven't looked at any of the other answers....

> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?

1. Mister Cliff Richard

> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
> Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)

2. Elvis Costello?

> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out
> of
> tune"?

3. With a Little Help from My Friends

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

4. Puccini

> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?

5. Tom Jones.

> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?

6. Berlin

> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

7. Ethiopia

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

8. Andorra la Vella

> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque,
> anyway)

9. UAE

> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around
> 5000
> people?

10. Liechtenstein

> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of
> Mafeking?

> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?

13. Disraeli

> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
> better known?

14. VI Lenin

> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

15. Helmut Kohl

> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

16. Saxamaphone, as Homer would say

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?

18. Polly Toynbee

> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

23. Spelunks. (Seriously, it's caves.)

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle
> shares its
> name with a hobby?

24. Trainspotting

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British
> government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?

27. Dame Agatha Christie.

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

28. A Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

29. Gordon Brown needs one....

> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

30. The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

32. The same person who won in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2003. Lance
Armstrong.

> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

39. Rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in
> 1920?

41. RCMP

> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

43. A banner dated February 1st 1930. (Seriously, a crossword puzzle)

> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

44. US Revolutionary War

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?

45. Brussels

> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
> Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

52. Timothy McVeigh (wasn't Terry Nichols also convicted)

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

53. Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

56. Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

57. Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

58. Zambia?

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :-p

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

60. Canada

--
Ted Schuerzinger <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

Ted Schuerzinger wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
>> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
>> Elvis
>> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
>
> 2. Elvis Costello?

Nope.

When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of
course, he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits
with it.

>> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
>
> 5. Tom Jones.

Kudos for recognising the Welshness, but, no.

>> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
>
> 13. Disraeli

No. Although, he might have, of course. History does not relate.

>> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
>> better known?
>
> 14. VI Lenin

No.

>> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
>> Peter floor?
>
> 18. Polly Toynbee

<snort>
>> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
>
> 58. Zambia?

Botswana.

>> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
>
> 59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :-p

Bah!

Others correct.

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting,
it has been found difficult and left untried."
-- G K Chesterton
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:35:57 PM

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?

Cliff?

> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)

Mel and Kim

> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

WALHFMF -- TB

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

Puccini?

> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

Ethiopoa

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

Spain / Madrid ?

> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?

Liechtenstein :)

> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

Three (Edmund, Harold, William I)

> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?

Gordon?

> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?

Napoleon I

> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

Willi Brandt?

> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

Sax

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?

Leonard Rossiter

> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue Peter
> floor?

Lulu

> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?

Christopher Biggins

> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?

David Jason (ObTrivia : who did he play in Porridge?)

> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?

Philately

> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

Caving

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?

Trainspotting

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby

Bell ringing

> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?

Spycatcher

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

Nigel Lawson

> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp

Primo Carnera (sp?)

> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

Same answer, though. Lance Armstrong

> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?

Ginger ... something. O'Cain?

> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?

Kings don't retire, they abdicate. 26 ish.

> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?

Juve?

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?

Orange?

> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

Italy

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

Rice

> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?

RCMP?

> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?

Snowdon

> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

A Crossword

> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

US ... erm ... (tosses coin) Civil War .. no, no the other one.

> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

1920s?

> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?

Othello

> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?

Prescott

> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?

Caernarvon (for the investiture?)

> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

Knesset

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

Oh, heres the Massachusetts questions

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Canada?

> Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Don't tell me, I've nothing to do.
--
Gareth Owen
Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?

Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:

> Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.

Bourbon is a type of whiskey, Scotch is a type of whisky.
--
Gareth Owen
Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:38:34 PM

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:
>
> > Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.
>
> Bourbon is a type of whiskey, Scotch is a type of whisky.

.... except for Maker's Mark, which, alone among such spirits of American or
Irish origin, gets to omit the "e."
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:40:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of course,
> he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits with it.

Ah. In which case its the Pet Shop Boys.
And Willie's is by far the best version.
--
Gareth Owen
Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:02:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Bruce In Cleveland wrote:

All correct

"And the people who were choked by the reek of sties
did not get the bacon"
-- JB Priestley
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:08:28 PM

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
>> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
>
> Mel and Kim

Corrected elswhere.

>> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>
> Spain / Madrid ?

Andorra

>> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
>
> Gordon?

Author of the famous handbook "Scouting for Boys", Lord Baden-Powell.

>> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
>
> Willi Brandt?

Helmut Kohl.

>> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
>
> Christopher Biggins
>
>> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
>
> David Jason (ObTrivia : who did he play in Porridge?)

Blanco.

>> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
>
> Ginger ... something. O'Cain?

You can have the point for that. McCain.

>> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
>
> Kings don't retire, they abdicate. 26 ish.

:)  27

>> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
>
> Juve?

Torino

>> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
>
> Italy

Spain

>> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
>
> 1920s?

30s

Others correct

"Gehrig had one advantage over me. He was a better ballplayer."
- Gil Hodges
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:08:55 PM

matt wrote:

>> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1 world
>> champion in 1964?
>
> John Surtees??

Correct!

"Everything is broken"
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 9:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Answers. There are a few not got, I think. Joseph Parry, radio
Luxembourg, Mastermind chair.

Music
1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
Cliff Richard
2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
song?
Pet Shop Boys
3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
tune"?
With a little help from my friends
4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
Puccini
5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
Joseph Parry
Capital cities
6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
Berlin
7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
Ethiopia
8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
Andorra
9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country?
United Arab Emirates
10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
people?
Liechtenstein
History
11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
3
12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
Robert Baden-Powell
13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
Napoleon Bonaparte
14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
Rasputin
15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
Helmut Kohl
TV
16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
Saxophone
17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
Leonard Rossiter
18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue Peter
floor?
Lulu
19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
Christopher Biggins
20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
David Jason
Hobbies
21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
Philately/stamp collecting
22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
Matchboxes/Matchbox labels
23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
Caves
24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
name with a hobby?
Traispotting
[...]
Ginger McCain
34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
27
35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
Torino
Food and Drink
36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
Whiskey
37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
Orange
38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
Spain
39. What is sake made from?
rice
40. What type of food is arborio?
Rice
General Knowledge
41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
Snowdon
43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
The crossword
44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
War of American Independence
45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
Brussels
46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
Raglan
47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
1930s
48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
Flo (or Florrie)
49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
Othello
50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
208 metres (or 1440KHz)
51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
of Technology in 1979?
Mastermind chair
52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
Timothy McVeigh
53. In which US state are the Everglades?
Florida
54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
John Prescott
55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
Swansea
56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
Richard Nixon
57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
Knesset
58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
Botswana
59. Harvard university is in which US state?
Massachussetts
60. Which country has the longest coastline?
Canada

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who
are undecided." - Casey Stengel
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:54:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Jeffrey Turner (jturner@localnet.com) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
>> Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.
>
> Switzerland?

No. I have not been able to find the exact altitude for Berne, on my
atlas it is close to a 300 m boundary. In any case the town is on a river
that comes from a lake on 590 m.

The correct answer is - Turkey. Nevermind that the capial is not in Europe,
the question asked for a Europan country.

A couple of years ago I had a quiz in rec.games.trivia on European
capitals, and one question was about the capitals on highest altitude.
#3 in that quiz was also a city outside Europe, Alamty in Kazakhstan.
(And the rules for the quiz clearly defined Kazakhstan as being partly
in Europe.)

But since then Kazakhstan changed capitals. So Spain is now #3, it seems
with some competition from Bosnia-Hercegovina. (Then again, it depends on
how you count. The city limits of Sofia extends to the slopes of Mt
Vitosha, and I think even includes the summit, which is at least on 1600 m
high.)

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:06:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

As I learned to my shame recently, part of Istanbul is indeed in
Europe.

Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe. This is
like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it wasn't you,
Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.

Also, the theme song to Frasier has no words and no singer. Kelsey
Grammer sings the "outro", the song that closes the show.

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message news:<Xns9509E8C848401Yazorman@127.0.0.1>...
> Jeffrey Turner (jturner@localnet.com) writes:
> > Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> >> Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
> >> Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.
> >
> > Switzerland?
>
> No. I have not been able to find the exact altitude for Berne, on my
> atlas it is close to a 300 m boundary. In any case the town is on a river
> that comes from a lake on 590 m.
>
> The correct answer is - Turkey. Nevermind that the capial is not in Europe,
> the question asked for a Europan country.
>
> A couple of years ago I had a quiz in rec.games.trivia on European
> capitals, and one question was about the capitals on highest altitude.
> #3 in that quiz was also a city outside Europe, Alamty in Kazakhstan.
> (And the rules for the quiz clearly defined Kazakhstan as being partly
> in Europe.)
>
> But since then Kazakhstan changed capitals. So Spain is now #3, it seems
> with some competition from Bosnia-Hercegovina. (Then again, it depends on
> how you count. The city limits of Sofia extends to the slopes of Mt
> Vitosha, and I think even includes the summit, which is at least on 1600 m
> high.)
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:08:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In the U.S., commonwealths ARE states.

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87hdtdd13f.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
>
> > Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
> >> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
> >> Elvis
> >> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> >
> > 2. Elvis Costello?
>
> Nope.
>
> When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of
> course, he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits
> with it.
>
> >> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> >
> > 5. Tom Jones.
>
> Kudos for recognising the Welshness, but, no.
>
> >> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> >
> > 13. Disraeli
>
> No. Although, he might have, of course. History does not relate.
>
> >> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
> >> better known?
> >
> > 14. VI Lenin
>
> No.
>
> >> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> >> Peter floor?
> >
> > 18. Polly Toynbee
>
> <snort>
> >> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
> >
> > 58. Zambia?
>
> Botswana.
>
> >> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
> >
> > 59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :-p
>
> Bah!
>
> Others correct.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 11:24:31 AM

Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
> Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe. This is
> like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it wasn't you,
> Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.

For the purpose of that quiz, I defined the border between Asia and
Europe south of the Ural mountains to be the Ural river, in which
case, a slice of Kazakhstan is in Europe.

The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh border, which
seems a little artificial. Then again, I have a atlas from the end
of the 19th century which has a European-Asian border which seems to
follow the current Russian-Kazakh border fairly closely. I would suspect,
though, that that border, too, is based on administrative division.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:01:35 PM

Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
>> Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.
>> This is like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it
>> wasn't you, Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.
>
> For the purpose of that quiz, I defined the border between
> Asia and Europe south of the Ural mountains to be the Ural
> river, in which case, a slice of Kazakhstan is in Europe.
>
> The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh
> border, which seems a little artificial.

The division of Eurasia into Asia and Europe is artificial as
well, so you may as well use the artificial national boundaries.

--
Dan Tilque
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) wrote in

> Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.

In footballing terms it is. :-)

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-
tie a perfect stranger, you must be doing *something* right.
Marge Simpson, <http://www.snpp.com/episodes/7G01.html&gt;
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:58:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Point taken. Similarly, Montreal has a team in the United States's
Major League Baseball (but that don't make Quebec a state).

"Ted S." <fedya@bestweb.spam> wrote in message news:<Xns950A62F079418jUwe9053kODf78sfkj0@ID-121946.user.dfncis.de>...
> Somebody claiming to be teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) wrote in
>
> > Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.
>
> In footballing terms it is. :-)
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 7:42:34 PM

"Teabag" <teabag420@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Point taken. Similarly, Montreal has a team in the United States's
> Major League Baseball (but that don't make Quebec a state).

There's nothing particularly USAn about major league baseball. This season
teams have played home games in Ontario, Puerto Rico, and Japan, as well as
Quebec and several states.

You get together a couple hundred million dollars, a stadium, a guarantee of
3 million attendance, and a solution to the travel logistics, and they'll be
delighted to award you a franchise to be based in Pago Pago.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 8:47:22 PM

Erland Sommarskog writes:
> The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh border, which
> seems a little artificial. Then again, I have a atlas from the end
> of the 19th century which has a European-Asian border which seems to
> follow the current Russian-Kazakh border fairly closely. I would suspect,
> though, that that border, too, is based on administrative division.

In countries where North and South America are considered to be two
continents, they are, as I understand it, normally considered to meet
at the northern boundary of Colombia (Central America being part of North
America). This means that the independence of Panama moved the boundary
between the continents.

There is actually a natural place to draw a physical boundary that's quite
near the Colombia-Panama border -- you connect two small gulfs on opposite
sides -- but nobody uses it.
--
Mark Brader "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
Toronto I find it most intriguing."

June 17, 2004 1:18:24 AM

Dan Tilqve (dtilqve@nwlink.com) writes:
> The division of Evrasia into Asia and Evrope is artificial as
> well, so yov may as well vse the artificial national bovndaries.

Some people seem to be fond of that. Some yell that Tvrkey cannot
become a member of the Evropean Union, becavse it is an Asian covntry.
Well, we already have a member which is solely in Asia with any reasonable
geographic definition. Bvt no one is talking abovt that.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esqvel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Dan Tilqve:
> > The division of Evrasia into Asia and Evrope is artificial as
> > well, so yov may as well vse the artificial national bovndaries.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Some people seem to be fond of that. Some yell that Tvrkey cannot
> become a member of the Evropean Union, becavse it is an Asian covntry.
> Well, we already have a member which is solely in Asia with any reasonable
> geographic definition. ...

Well, the ancient Romans called the Mediterranean "Mare Nostrvm" -- ovr
sea. Perhaps some people consider it reasonable to treat all islands in
the Mediterranean (except perhaps small islands off the African or Asian
coast) as Evropean.
--
Mark Brader "A moment's thovght wovld have shown him,
Toronto bvt a moment is a long time and thovght

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Well, the ancient Romans called the Mediterranean "Mare Nostrum" -- our
> sea. Perhaps some people consider it reasonable to treat all islands in
> the Mediterranean (except perhaps small islands off the African or Asian
> coast) as European.

I think it more has to do with Cyprus's recent history as British
property.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:52:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Which one is that?

Erland Sommarskog <esqvel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message news:<Xns950AECD48E3E7Yazorman@127.0.0.1>...
> Dan Tilqve (dtilqve@nwlink.com) writes:
> > The division of Evrasia into Asia and Evrope is artificial as
> > well, so yov may as well vse the artificial national bovndaries.
>
> Some people seem to be fond of that. Some yell that Tvrkey cannot
> become a member of the Evropean Union, becavse it is an Asian covntry.
> Well, we already have a member which is solely in Asia with any reasonable
> geographic definition. Bvt no one is talking abovt that.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:01:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Well, actually, yes, there is. Major League Baseball is a legal
entity in the United States, and the baseball system was given an
exemption to the U.S. antitrust laws by the Supreme Court.

THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.

Bringing up the Toronto Blue Jays is wearing the same dress as me to
the prom when I mentioned the Montreal Expos. I apologize for not
mentioning every single Canadian team in MLB.

Don't step to me.

"Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<caq7ra$gum@dispatch.concentric.net>...
> "Teabag" <teabag420@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Point taken. Similarly, Montreal has a team in the United States's
> > Major League Baseball (but that don't make Quebec a state).
>
> There's nothing particularly USAn about major league baseball. This season
> teams have played home games in Ontario, Puerto Rico, and Japan, as well as
> Quebec and several states.
>
> You get together a couple hundred million dollars, a stadium, a guarantee of
> 3 million attendance, and a solution to the travel logistics, and they'll be
> delighted to award you a franchise to be based in Pago Pago.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:05:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

The standard definition uses the Ural Mountains rather than the Ural
river, but if Erland used the river for the puzzle, then so be it.

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:<10d0v8s4tv5ns75@corp.supernews.com>...
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>
> > Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
> >> Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.
> >> This is like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it
> >> wasn't you, Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.
> >
> > For the purpose of that quiz, I defined the border between
> > Asia and Europe south of the Ural mountains to be the Ural
> > river, in which case, a slice of Kazakhstan is in Europe.
> >
> > The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh
> > border, which seems a little artificial.
>
> The division of Eurasia into Asia and Europe is artificial as
> well, so you may as well use the artificial national boundaries.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:12:47 PM

teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:

> THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.

Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.
--
Gareth Owen
Dog: He feeds me, cares for me, heals me when I'm sick, he must be a god!

> THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.

Look again.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:36:10 PM

> teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
>
> > THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
>
> Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.

The New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Devil Rays opened the season in Japan.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:44:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On 17 Jun 2004 09:12:47 +0100, Gareth Owen
<usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
>
>> THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
>
>Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.

Shouldn't they be playing their home games in Montreal?

George
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
> The standard definition uses the Ural Mountains rather than the Ural
> river, but if Erland used the river for the puzzle, then so be it.

Problem is that the mountain range does not extend down to the Caspian Sea,
so you need something to sort out that stretch.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:45:58 PM

George Weinberg wrote:

> On 17 Jun 2004 09:12:47 +0100, Gareth Owen
> <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
>>
>>> THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
>>
>>Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.
>
> Shouldn't they be playing their home games in Montreal?

George, meet Bud Selig. Bug Selig, George.

"Once Allende comes to power we shall do all within our power
to condemn Chile and all Chileans to utmost deprivation and poverty."
-- Edward Korry
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 12:07:55 AM

> > teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
> >
> > > THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
> >
> > Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Pverto Rico.
> It's not a home game IF YOU GO TO ANOTHER FUCKING COUNTRY TO PLAY IT!!!

It was for Manv Samoa (Rvgby Union) when they played in Wellington, New
Zealand a covple of weeks ago, in both the legal and practical sense of the
term.

--
Errol Cavit | errolGEEcee@hotmail.com
So we have a paradox. The hard way was also the easy way. What has always