Pub Quiz 7

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

This from 20020815

Music
1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
tune"?
4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
Capital cities
6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
people?
History
11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
TV
16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
Peter floor?
19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
Hobbies
21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
name with a hobby?
25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
Books
26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
attempted to ban?
27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
Sport
31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
Food and Drink
36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
39. What is sake primarily made from?
40. What type of food is arborio?
General Knowledge
41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
of Technology in 1979?
52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
53. In which US state are the Everglades?
54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
59. Harvard university is in which US state?
60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
49 answers Last reply
More about quiz
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

    >This from 20020815
    >
    > Music
    > 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
    > 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
    > song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    > 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
    > tune"?

    I get by with a little help from my friends (Beatles)

    > 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
    > 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    > Capital cities
    > 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
    > 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
    Nigeria

    > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    > 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
    > 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    > people?
    > History
    > 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
    > 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    > 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    > 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
    > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
    > TV
    > 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
    sax

    > 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
    > 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    > Peter floor?
    > 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    > 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
    > Hobbies
    > 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
    > 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    > 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
    a cave

    > 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
    > name with a hobby?
    Trainspotting?

    > 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
    rings bells

    > Books
    > 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
    > attempted to ban?
    > 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
    Dame Agatha?

    > 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
    Tale of Two Cities

    > 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
    > 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
    The Godfather

    > Sport
    > 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
    > 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
    > 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
    > 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    > 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
    > Food and Drink
    > 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    Bourbon

    > 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
    Orange

    > 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    Mexico

    > 39. What is sake primarily made from?
    Rice

    > 40. What type of food is arborio?
    Rice again

    > General Knowledge
    > 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
    > 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
    > 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
    > 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
    American Revolution

    > 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
    > 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    Dolman?

    > 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
    1930's?

    > 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
    > 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    Othello

    > 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    > 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
    > of Technology in 1979?
    > 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
    Timothy MacViegh

    > 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
    Florida

    > 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    > 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    > 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
    Nixon

    > 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
    The Knesset

    > 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
    > 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
    Massachusetts

    > 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    matt wrote:

    > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>This from 20020815
    >>
    >> Music
    >> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
    >
    > cliff richard
    >
    >> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
    >
    > Elvis
    >
    >> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    >> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
    >> tune"?
    >
    > I get by with a little help from my Friends
    >
    >> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
    >
    > puccinni
    >
    >> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    >> Capital cities
    >> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
    >
    > berlin
    >
    >> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
    >
    > ethiopia
    >
    >> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    >

    >> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
    >
    > uae
    >
    >> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    >> people?
    >
    > Liechtenstein
    >
    >> History
    >> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
    >
    > 3 -edward harold and william?
    >
    >> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    >
    > dybdybdyb baden-powel
    >
    >> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    >
    > napolean
    >
    >> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?

    Rasputin

> [...]
    >
    >> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
    >
    > brussels
    >
    >> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    >
    > raglan
    >
    >> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
    >
    > 30s
    >
    >> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
    >> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    >
    > othello or was it iago
    >
    >> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    >> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
    >
    > Institute
    >
    >> of Technology in 1979?
    >> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
    >> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
    >
    > florida
    >
    >> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    >> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    >> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

    Richard M. Nixon

    >> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
    >
    > knesset
    >
    >> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
    >> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
    >
    > massachussets
    >
    >> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
    >
    > canada
    >
    >>--
    >>Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    >>Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

    --
    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --M. Python
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

    > This from 20020815
    >
    > Music
    > 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
    > 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
    Elvis
    > song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    > 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
    > tune"?

    With a Little Help From My Friends

    > 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

    Giacomo Puccini (not Rossini!)

    > 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    > Capital cities
    > 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
    > 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

    Ethiopia

    > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

    Switzerland

    > 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)

    United Arab Emirates

    > 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    > people?
    > History
    > 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
    > 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    > 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    > 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
    > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

    Helmut Kohl

    > TV
    > 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
    > 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
    > 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    > Peter floor?
    > 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    > 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
    > Hobbies
    > 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?

    philately

    > 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    > 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

    caves

    > 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares
    its
    > name with a hobby?
    > 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
    > Books
    > 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British
    government
    > attempted to ban?
    > 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
    > 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

    Tale of Two Cities

    > 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

    I want this to be Nigella Lawson's father, but that's obviously not right

    > 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

    The Godfather

    > Sport
    > 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp

    Primo Carnera

    > 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

    Lance Armstrong. It's *always* Lance Armstrong.

    > 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
    > 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    > 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
    > Food and Drink
    > 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?

    (blended) whiskey and sweet vermouth

    > 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
    > 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

    Mexico

    > 39. What is sake primarily made from?

    rice

    > 40. What type of food is arborio?
    > General Knowledge
    > 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
    > 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
    > 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

    a crossword puzzle

    > 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

    The Glorious Uprising of the People Against the Hegemony of their Oppressors
    the Running Dog Imperialist Brits

    > 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
    > 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    > 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

    1930's

    > 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?

    Flo

    > 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    > 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    > 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
    Institute
    > of Technology in 1979?
    > 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

    Timothy McVeigh

    > 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

    Florida

    > 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    > 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    > 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

    Richard Nixon

    > 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

    the Knesset

    > 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

    Botswana

    > 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

    Massachusetts

    > 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

    Russia
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    matt wrote:

    > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
    >> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    > matches

    Sorta.

    >> 40. What type of food is arborio?
    > fruit?

    Nope.

    >> General Knowledge
    >> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
    > the mounties - nah cant be

    Sorta. Looking for the name, rather than the nickname.

    >> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    > othello or was it iago

    Othello

    Rest correct.

    "I dwelt alone in a world of moan And my soul was a stagnant tide"
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In article <87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

    > This from 20020815
    >
    > Music
    > 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
    > 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
    > song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    > 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of tune"?

    With A Little Help From My Friends

    > 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
    > 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    > Capital cities
    > 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
    > 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

    Ethiopia

    > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

    Liechtenstein?

    > 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
    > 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    > people?

    Liechtenstein?

    > History
    > 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

    2?

    > 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    > 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    > 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
    > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
    > TV
    > 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

    saxophone

    > 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
    > 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    > Peter floor?
    > 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    > 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
    > Hobbies
    > 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
    > 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    > 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

    caves

    > 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
    > name with a hobby?

    Trainspotting

    > 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
    > Books
    > 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
    > attempted to ban?
    > 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
    > 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

    A Tale Of Two Cities

    > 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
    > 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

    The Godfather

    > Sport
    > 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
    > 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
    > 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
    > 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    > 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
    > Food and Drink
    > 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    > 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
    > 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

    Spain?

    > 39. What is sake primarily made from?

    rice

    > 40. What type of food is arborio?
    > General Knowledge
    > 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?

    Royal Canadian Mounted Police

    > 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
    > 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
    > 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
    > 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
    > 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?

    Raglan?

    > 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
    > 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?

    Flo

    > 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    > 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    > 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
    > of Technology in 1979?
    > 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

    Timothy McVeigh, and just recently, Terry Nichols

    > 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
    > 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    > 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    > 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
    > 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

    Knesset

    > 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

    Botswanna?

    > 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
    > 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

    Australia?

    --
    Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Mark Brader wrote:

    >> > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    >
    > Madrid.

    Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
    argument about this already in rgt.

    >> > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
    >
    > Willy Brandt?

    No.

    Rest correct.

    "Everything is broken"
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    >> Madrid.

    Obviously, I misread that as "Which {European country's capital} is...".
    Read "Spain".

    > Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
    > argument about this already in rgt.

    Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
    that's a capital, or something like that.
    --
    Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
    msb@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    > This from 20020815
    >
    > Music
    > 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
    > 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
    > song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    > 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
    > tune"?

    I get by with a little help from my friends.
    -- Beatles

    > 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

    Puccini

    > 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?

    > Capital cities
    > 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
    > 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
    > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    > 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
    > 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    > people?

    > History
    > 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

    The year of the Norman Conquest!
    Two? -- One being William the Conquerer

    > 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    > 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    > 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?

    Rasputin

    > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

    Helmot Kohl (sp?)

    > TV
    > 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

    Saxophone

    > 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
    > 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    > Peter floor?
    > 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    > 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?

    > Hobbies
    > 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
    > 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    > 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

    Caves

    > 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
    > name with a hobby?
    > 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby

    > Books
    > 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
    > attempted to ban?
    > 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?

    Agatha Christie

    > 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
    > 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
    > 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

    The Godfather

    > Sport
    > 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
    > 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
    > 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
    > 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    > 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?

    > Food and Drink
    > 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?

    Whiskey (bourbon) and Sweet Vermouth.

    > 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
    > 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    > 39. What is sake primarily made from?

    Rice.

    > 40. What type of food is arborio?

    > General Knowledge
    > 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
    > 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
    > 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
    > 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

    U.S. Revolution

    > 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
    > 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    > 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

    1920s?

    > 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
    > 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?

    Iago

    > 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    > 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
    > of Technology in 1979?
    > 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

    Timothy McVeigh

    > 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

    Florida

    > 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    > 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    > 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

    Richard M. Nixon

    > 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
    > 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
    > 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

    Massachusetts

    > 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

    Canada?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
    > Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
    > that's a capital, or something like that.

    Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
    Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Erland Sommarskog wrote:
    > Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
    >
    >>Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
    >>that's a capital, or something like that.
    >
    > Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
    > Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.

    Switzerland?

    --Jeff

    --
    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --M. Python
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Marc Dashevsky wrote:

    > In article <87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
    >> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    >
    > Liechtenstein?

    Andorra is what I'm looking for

    >> History
    >> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
    >
    > 2?

    3. Ed the Confessor, Harold One-Eye, and Bill The Conk.

    >> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
    >
    > Australia?

    Upper USA^W^WCanada. :)

    It's worse than Benny Hill, and that's bad enough
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Mark Brader wrote:

    >>> Madrid.
    >
    > Obviously, I misread that as "Which {European country's capital} is...".
    > Read "Spain".
    >
    >> Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
    >> argument about this already in rgt.
    >
    > Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
    > that's a capital, or something like that.

    Yes, Andorra is what I was looking for.

    "Some cursed, some prayed, some prayed then cursed"
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Barbara Bailey wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    > <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    >> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
    > Nigeria

    Ethiopia
    >> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    > Bourbon

    Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

    >> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    > Mexico

    Spain.

    >> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    > Dolman?

    Raglan

    Others correct.

    http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com/
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    > Barbara Bailey wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    > > <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
    > >> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
    > > Nigeria
    >
    > Ethiopia
    > >> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    > > Bourbon
    >
    > Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

    Bartending is a craft, not a science. If Ms. Bailey is making them with
    bourbon, I'm not going to turn down her invitation. Tradition suggests
    whiskey.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby wrote:
    > Barbara Bailey wrote:

    >>> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    >>
    >>Bourbon
    >

    > Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

    Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.

    --Jeff

    --
    Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
    to the government when it deserves it.
    --Mark Twain

    Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
    We're marching for freedom today-ay!
    So turn on your headlights
    and sound your horn,
    if people get in the way. --M. Python
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Steve Grant wrote:

    > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
    >> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
    >
    > Giacomo Puccini (not Rossini!)

    For once!

    >> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    >
    > Switzerland

    Andorra, threads passim.

    >> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
    >
    > I want this to be Nigella Lawson's father, but that's obviously not right

    And, amazingly enough, it *is* correct. Nigel Lawson, who lost a
    staggering amoung of weight and then wrote a book about it.

    >> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    >
    > Mexico

    Second answer of Mexico. I have Spain, but now of course I'm doubting
    myself.

    >> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
    >
    > The Glorious Uprising of the People Against the Hegemony of their Oppressors
    > the Running Dog Imperialist Brits

    Best answer so far, and the most correct.

    >> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
    >
    > Russia

    Canada.

    Others correct.

    "The pride and luxury in which he was educated had not allowed him to suspect
    that there existed on the earth any power presumptuous enough to invade the
    repose of the successor of Augustus." - Gibbon
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

    <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

    >This from 20020815
    >
    > Music
    > 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
    > 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
    > song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    > 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
    > tune"?
    With A little help from my Friends
    > 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
    > 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    > Capital cities
    > 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
    > 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
    > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    > 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
    > 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    > people?
    > History
    > 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
    > 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    > 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    > 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
    > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
    Helmut Kohl
    > TV
    > 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
    Saxophone
    > 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
    > 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    > Peter floor?
    > 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    > 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
    > Hobbies
    > 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
    > 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    > 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
    Caves
    > 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
    > name with a hobby?
    Trainspotting (though IIRC the movie had little to do with)
    > 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
    > Books
    > 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
    > attempted to ban?
    > 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
    > 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
    > 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
    > 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
    The Godfather
    > Sport
    > 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
    > 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
    Lance Armstrong
    > 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
    > 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    > 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
    > Food and Drink
    > 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    > 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
    > 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    > 39. What is sake primarily made from?
    Rice (even though It's called a Wine it's production process more
    resembles Beer)
    > 40. What type of food is arborio?
    > General Knowledge
    > 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
    > 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
    > 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
    > 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
    The U.S. Revolution
    > 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
    > 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    > 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
    > 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
    > 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    > 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    > 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
    > of Technology in 1979?
    > 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
    Timothy McVeigh
    > 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
    Florida
    > 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    > 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    > 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
    Richard Nixon
    > 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
    Kenesset
    > 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
    > 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
    Massachusets
    > 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

    I haven't looked at any of the other answers....

    > This from 20020815
    >
    > Music
    > 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?

    1. Mister Cliff Richard

    > 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
    > Elvis
    > song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)

    2. Elvis Costello?

    > 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out
    > of
    > tune"?

    3. With a Little Help from My Friends

    > 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

    4. Puccini

    > 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?

    5. Tom Jones.

    > Capital cities
    > 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?

    6. Berlin

    > 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

    7. Ethiopia

    > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

    8. Andorra la Vella

    > 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque,
    > anyway)

    9. UAE

    > 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around
    > 5000
    > people?

    10. Liechtenstein

    > History
    > 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
    > 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of
    > Mafeking?

    > 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?

    13. Disraeli

    > 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
    > better known?

    14. VI Lenin

    > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

    15. Helmut Kohl

    > TV
    > 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

    16. Saxamaphone, as Homer would say

    > 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
    > 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    > Peter floor?

    18. Polly Toynbee

    > 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    > 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
    > Hobbies
    > 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
    > 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    > 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

    23. Spelunks. (Seriously, it's caves.)

    > 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle
    > shares its
    > name with a hobby?

    24. Trainspotting

    > 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
    > Books
    > 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British
    > government
    > attempted to ban?
    > 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?

    27. Dame Agatha Christie.

    > 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

    28. A Tale of Two Cities

    > 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

    29. Gordon Brown needs one....

    > 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

    30. The Godfather

    > Sport
    > 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
    > 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

    32. The same person who won in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2003. Lance
    Armstrong.

    > 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
    > 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    > 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
    > Food and Drink
    > 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    > 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
    > 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    > 39. What is sake primarily made from?

    39. Rice

    > 40. What type of food is arborio?
    > General Knowledge
    > 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in
    > 1920?

    41. RCMP

    > 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
    > 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

    43. A banner dated February 1st 1930. (Seriously, a crossword puzzle)

    > 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

    44. US Revolutionary War

    > 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?

    45. Brussels

    > 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    > 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
    > 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
    > 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    > 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    > 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
    > Institute
    > of Technology in 1979?
    > 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

    52. Timothy McVeigh (wasn't Terry Nichols also convicted)

    > 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

    53. Florida

    > 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    > 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    > 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

    56. Nixon

    > 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

    57. Knesset

    > 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

    58. Zambia?

    > 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

    59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :-p

    > 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

    60. Canada

    --
    Ted Schuerzinger <fedya at bestweb dot net>
    The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

    Ted Schuerzinger wrote:

    > Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
    >> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
    >> Elvis
    >> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    >
    > 2. Elvis Costello?

    Nope.

    When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of
    course, he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits
    with it.

    >> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    >
    > 5. Tom Jones.

    Kudos for recognising the Welshness, but, no.

    >> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    >
    > 13. Disraeli

    No. Although, he might have, of course. History does not relate.

    >> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
    >> better known?
    >
    > 14. VI Lenin

    No.

    >> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    >> Peter floor?
    >
    > 18. Polly Toynbee

    <snort>
    >> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
    >
    > 58. Zambia?

    Botswana.

    >> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
    >
    > 59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :-p

    Bah!

    Others correct.

    The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting,
    it has been found difficult and left untried."
    -- G K Chesterton
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

    > 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?

    Cliff?

    > 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
    > song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)

    Mel and Kim

    > 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
    > tune"?

    WALHFMF -- TB

    > 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

    Puccini?

    > 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

    Ethiopoa

    > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

    Spain / Madrid ?

    > 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    > people?

    Liechtenstein :)

    > 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

    Three (Edmund, Harold, William I)

    > 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?

    Gordon?

    > 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?

    Napoleon I

    > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

    Willi Brandt?

    > 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

    Sax

    > 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?

    Leonard Rossiter

    > 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue Peter
    > floor?

    Lulu

    > 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?

    Christopher Biggins

    > 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?

    David Jason (ObTrivia : who did he play in Porridge?)

    > 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?

    Philately

    > 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

    Caving

    > 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
    > name with a hobby?

    Trainspotting

    > 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby

    Bell ringing

    > 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
    > attempted to ban?

    Spycatcher

    > 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

    Tale of Two Cities

    > 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

    Nigel Lawson

    > 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

    The Godfather

    > 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp

    Primo Carnera (sp?)

    > 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

    Same answer, though. Lance Armstrong

    > 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?

    Ginger ... something. O'Cain?

    > 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?

    Kings don't retire, they abdicate. 26 ish.

    > 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?

    Juve?

    > 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?

    Orange?

    > 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

    Italy

    > 39. What is sake primarily made from?

    Rice

    > 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?

    RCMP?

    > 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?

    Snowdon

    > 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

    A Crossword

    > 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

    US ... erm ... (tosses coin) Civil War .. no, no the other one.

    > 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

    1920s?

    > 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?

    Othello

    > 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

    Timothy McVeigh

    > 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

    Florida

    > 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?

    Prescott

    > 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?

    Caernarvon (for the investiture?)

    > 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

    Nixon

    > 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

    Knesset

    > 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

    Oh, heres the Massachusetts questions

    > 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

    Canada?

    > Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

    Don't tell me, I've nothing to do.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?

    Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:

    > Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.

    Bourbon is a type of whiskey, Scotch is a type of whisky.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:
    >
    > > Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.
    >
    > Bourbon is a type of whiskey, Scotch is a type of whisky.

    .... except for Maker's Mark, which, alone among such spirits of American or
    Irish origin, gets to omit the "e."
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

    > When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of course,
    > he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits with it.

    Ah. In which case its the Pet Shop Boys.
    And Willie's is by far the best version.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

    Bruce In Cleveland wrote:

    All correct

    "And the people who were choked by the reek of sties
    did not get the bacon"
    -- JB Priestley
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Gareth Owen wrote:

    > Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
    >> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
    >> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    >
    > Mel and Kim

    Corrected elswhere.

    >> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    >
    > Spain / Madrid ?

    Andorra

    >> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    >
    > Gordon?

    Author of the famous handbook "Scouting for Boys", Lord Baden-Powell.

    >> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
    >
    > Willi Brandt?

    Helmut Kohl.

    >> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    >
    > Christopher Biggins
    >
    >> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
    >
    > David Jason (ObTrivia : who did he play in Porridge?)

    Blanco.

    >> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
    >
    > Ginger ... something. O'Cain?

    You can have the point for that. McCain.

    >> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    >
    > Kings don't retire, they abdicate. 26 ish.

    :) 27

    >> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
    >
    > Juve?

    Torino

    >> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    >
    > Italy

    Spain

    >> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
    >
    > 1920s?

    30s

    Others correct

    "Gehrig had one advantage over me. He was a better ballplayer."
    - Gil Hodges
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    matt wrote:

    >> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1 world
    >> champion in 1964?
    >
    > John Surtees??

    Correct!

    "Everything is broken"
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Answers. There are a few not got, I think. Joseph Parry, radio
    Luxembourg, Mastermind chair.

    Music
    1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
    Cliff Richard
    2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
    song?
    Pet Shop Boys
    3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
    tune"?
    With a little help from my friends
    4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
    Puccini
    5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    Joseph Parry
    Capital cities
    6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
    Berlin
    7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
    Ethiopia
    8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
    Andorra
    9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country?
    United Arab Emirates
    10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
    people?
    Liechtenstein
    History
    11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
    3
    12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
    Robert Baden-Powell
    13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
    Rasputin
    15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
    Helmut Kohl
    TV
    16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
    Saxophone
    17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
    Leonard Rossiter
    18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue Peter
    floor?
    Lulu
    19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
    Christopher Biggins
    20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
    David Jason
    Hobbies
    21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
    Philately/stamp collecting
    22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
    Matchboxes/Matchbox labels
    23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
    Caves
    24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
    name with a hobby?
    Traispotting
[...]
    Ginger McCain
    34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
    27
    35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
    Torino
    Food and Drink
    36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
    Whiskey
    37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
    Orange
    38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
    Spain
    39. What is sake made from?
    rice
    40. What type of food is arborio?
    Rice
    General Knowledge
    41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
    Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
    Snowdon
    43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
    The crossword
    44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
    War of American Independence
    45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
    Brussels
    46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
    Raglan
    47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
    1930s
    48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
    Flo (or Florrie)
    49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
    Othello
    50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
    208 metres (or 1440KHz)
    51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
    of Technology in 1979?
    Mastermind chair
    52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
    Timothy McVeigh
    53. In which US state are the Everglades?
    Florida
    54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
    John Prescott
    55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
    Swansea
    56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
    Richard Nixon
    57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
    Knesset
    58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
    Botswana
    59. Harvard university is in which US state?
    Massachussetts
    60. Which country has the longest coastline?
    Canada

    "The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who
    are undecided." - Casey Stengel
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Jeffrey Turner (jturner@localnet.com) writes:
    > Erland Sommarskog wrote:
    >> Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
    >> Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.
    >
    > Switzerland?

    No. I have not been able to find the exact altitude for Berne, on my
    atlas it is close to a 300 m boundary. In any case the town is on a river
    that comes from a lake on 590 m.

    The correct answer is - Turkey. Nevermind that the capial is not in Europe,
    the question asked for a Europan country.

    A couple of years ago I had a quiz in rec.games.trivia on European
    capitals, and one question was about the capitals on highest altitude.
    #3 in that quiz was also a city outside Europe, Alamty in Kazakhstan.
    (And the rules for the quiz clearly defined Kazakhstan as being partly
    in Europe.)

    But since then Kazakhstan changed capitals. So Spain is now #3, it seems
    with some competition from Bosnia-Hercegovina. (Then again, it depends on
    how you count. The city limits of Sofia extends to the slopes of Mt
    Vitosha, and I think even includes the summit, which is at least on 1600 m
    high.)

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    As I learned to my shame recently, part of Istanbul is indeed in
    Europe.

    Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe. This is
    like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it wasn't you,
    Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.

    Also, the theme song to Frasier has no words and no singer. Kelsey
    Grammer sings the "outro", the song that closes the show.

    Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message news:<Xns9509E8C848401Yazorman@127.0.0.1>...
    > Jeffrey Turner (jturner@localnet.com) writes:
    > > Erland Sommarskog wrote:
    > >> Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
    > >> Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.
    > >
    > > Switzerland?
    >
    > No. I have not been able to find the exact altitude for Berne, on my
    > atlas it is close to a 300 m boundary. In any case the town is on a river
    > that comes from a lake on 590 m.
    >
    > The correct answer is - Turkey. Nevermind that the capial is not in Europe,
    > the question asked for a Europan country.
    >
    > A couple of years ago I had a quiz in rec.games.trivia on European
    > capitals, and one question was about the capitals on highest altitude.
    > #3 in that quiz was also a city outside Europe, Alamty in Kazakhstan.
    > (And the rules for the quiz clearly defined Kazakhstan as being partly
    > in Europe.)
    >
    > But since then Kazakhstan changed capitals. So Spain is now #3, it seems
    > with some competition from Bosnia-Hercegovina. (Then again, it depends on
    > how you count. The city limits of Sofia extends to the slopes of Mt
    > Vitosha, and I think even includes the summit, which is at least on 1600 m
    > high.)
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    In the U.S., commonwealths ARE states.

    Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87hdtdd13f.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
    > Ted Schuerzinger wrote:
    >
    > > Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
    > >> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
    > >> Elvis
    > >> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
    > >
    > > 2. Elvis Costello?
    >
    > Nope.
    >
    > When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of
    > course, he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits
    > with it.
    >
    > >> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
    > >
    > > 5. Tom Jones.
    >
    > Kudos for recognising the Welshness, but, no.
    >
    > >> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
    > >
    > > 13. Disraeli
    >
    > No. Although, he might have, of course. History does not relate.
    >
    > >> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
    > >> better known?
    > >
    > > 14. VI Lenin
    >
    > No.
    >
    > >> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
    > >> Peter floor?
    > >
    > > 18. Polly Toynbee
    >
    > <snort>
    > >> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
    > >
    > > 58. Zambia?
    >
    > Botswana.
    >
    > >> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
    > >
    > > 59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :-p
    >
    > Bah!
    >
    > Others correct.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
    > Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe. This is
    > like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it wasn't you,
    > Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.

    For the purpose of that quiz, I defined the border between Asia and
    Europe south of the Ural mountains to be the Ural river, in which
    case, a slice of Kazakhstan is in Europe.

    The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh border, which
    seems a little artificial. Then again, I have a atlas from the end
    of the 19th century which has a European-Asian border which seems to
    follow the current Russian-Kazakh border fairly closely. I would suspect,
    though, that that border, too, is based on administrative division.

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Erland Sommarskog wrote:

    > Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
    >> Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.
    >> This is like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it
    >> wasn't you, Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.
    >
    > For the purpose of that quiz, I defined the border between
    > Asia and Europe south of the Ural mountains to be the Ural
    > river, in which case, a slice of Kazakhstan is in Europe.
    >
    > The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh
    > border, which seems a little artificial.

    The division of Eurasia into Asia and Europe is artificial as
    well, so you may as well use the artificial national boundaries.

    --
    Dan Tilque
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Somebody claiming to be teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) wrote in

    > Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.

    In footballing terms it is. :-)

    --
    Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
    The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-
    tie a perfect stranger, you must be doing *something* right.
    Marge Simpson, <http://www.snpp.com/episodes/7G01.html>
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Point taken. Similarly, Montreal has a team in the United States's
    Major League Baseball (but that don't make Quebec a state).

    "Ted S." <fedya@bestweb.spam> wrote in message news:<Xns950A62F079418jUwe9053kODf78sfkj0@ID-121946.user.dfncis.de>...
    > Somebody claiming to be teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) wrote in
    >
    > > Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.
    >
    > In footballing terms it is. :-)
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    "Teabag" <teabag420@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Point taken. Similarly, Montreal has a team in the United States's
    > Major League Baseball (but that don't make Quebec a state).

    There's nothing particularly USAn about major league baseball. This season
    teams have played home games in Ontario, Puerto Rico, and Japan, as well as
    Quebec and several states.

    You get together a couple hundred million dollars, a stadium, a guarantee of
    3 million attendance, and a solution to the travel logistics, and they'll be
    delighted to award you a franchise to be based in Pago Pago.
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Erland Sommarskog writes:
    > The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh border, which
    > seems a little artificial. Then again, I have a atlas from the end
    > of the 19th century which has a European-Asian border which seems to
    > follow the current Russian-Kazakh border fairly closely. I would suspect,
    > though, that that border, too, is based on administrative division.

    In countries where North and South America are considered to be two
    continents, they are, as I understand it, normally considered to meet
    at the northern boundary of Colombia (Central America being part of North
    America). This means that the independence of Panama moved the boundary
    between the continents.

    There is actually a natural place to draw a physical boundary that's quite
    near the Colombia-Panama border -- you connect two small gulfs on opposite
    sides -- but nobody uses it.
    --
    Mark Brader "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
    Toronto I find it most intriguing."

  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Dan Tilqve (dtilqve@nwlink.com) writes:
    > The division of Evrasia into Asia and Evrope is artificial as
    > well, so yov may as well vse the artificial national bovndaries.

    Some people seem to be fond of that. Some yell that Tvrkey cannot
    become a member of the Evropean Union, becavse it is an Asian covntry.
    Well, we already have a member which is solely in Asia with any reasonable
    geographic definition. Bvt no one is talking abovt that.

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esqvel@sommarskog.se
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Dan Tilqve:
    > > The division of Evrasia into Asia and Evrope is artificial as
    > > well, so yov may as well vse the artificial national bovndaries.

    Erland Sommarskog:
    > Some people seem to be fond of that. Some yell that Tvrkey cannot
    > become a member of the Evropean Union, becavse it is an Asian covntry.
    > Well, we already have a member which is solely in Asia with any reasonable
    > geographic definition. ...

    Well, the ancient Romans called the Mediterranean "Mare Nostrvm" -- ovr
    sea. Perhaps some people consider it reasonable to treat all islands in
    the Mediterranean (except perhaps small islands off the African or Asian
    coast) as Evropean.
    --
    Mark Brader "A moment's thovght wovld have shown him,
    Toronto bvt a moment is a long time and thovght

    Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
    > Well, the ancient Romans called the Mediterranean "Mare Nostrum" -- our
    > sea. Perhaps some people consider it reasonable to treat all islands in
    > the Mediterranean (except perhaps small islands off the African or Asian
    > coast) as European.

    I think it more has to do with Cyprus's recent history as British
    property.

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Which one is that?

    Erland Sommarskog <esqvel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message news:<Xns950AECD48E3E7Yazorman@127.0.0.1>...
    > Dan Tilqve (dtilqve@nwlink.com) writes:
    > > The division of Evrasia into Asia and Evrope is artificial as
    > > well, so yov may as well vse the artificial national bovndaries.
    >
    > Some people seem to be fond of that. Some yell that Tvrkey cannot
    > become a member of the Evropean Union, becavse it is an Asian covntry.
    > Well, we already have a member which is solely in Asia with any reasonable
    > geographic definition. Bvt no one is talking abovt that.
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Well, actually, yes, there is. Major League Baseball is a legal
    entity in the United States, and the baseball system was given an
    exemption to the U.S. antitrust laws by the Supreme Court.

    THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.

    Bringing up the Toronto Blue Jays is wearing the same dress as me to
    the prom when I mentioned the Montreal Expos. I apologize for not
    mentioning every single Canadian team in MLB.

    Don't step to me.

    "Steve Grant" <ACE1242@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<caq7ra$gum@dispatch.concentric.net>...
    > "Teabag" <teabag420@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Point taken. Similarly, Montreal has a team in the United States's
    > > Major League Baseball (but that don't make Quebec a state).
    >
    > There's nothing particularly USAn about major league baseball. This season
    > teams have played home games in Ontario, Puerto Rico, and Japan, as well as
    > Quebec and several states.
    >
    > You get together a couple hundred million dollars, a stadium, a guarantee of
    > 3 million attendance, and a solution to the travel logistics, and they'll be
    > delighted to award you a franchise to be based in Pago Pago.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    The standard definition uses the Ural Mountains rather than the Ural
    river, but if Erland used the river for the puzzle, then so be it.

    "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:<10d0v8s4tv5ns75@corp.supernews.com>...
    > Erland Sommarskog wrote:
    >
    > > Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
    > >> Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is definitely not in Europe.
    > >> This is like a puzzle defining "white" as "black". I know it
    > >> wasn't you, Erland, I'm just saying that puzzle was defective.
    > >
    > > For the purpose of that quiz, I defined the border between
    > > Asia and Europe south of the Ural mountains to be the Ural
    > > river, in which case, a slice of Kazakhstan is in Europe.
    > >
    > > The other alternative is to simply use the Russian-Kazakh
    > > border, which seems a little artificial.
    >
    > The division of Eurasia into Asia and Europe is artificial as
    > well, so you may as well use the artificial national boundaries.
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:

    > THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.

    Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.
    --
    Gareth Owen
    Dog: He feeds me, cares for me, heals me when I'm sick, he must be a god!

    > THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.

    Look again.
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    > teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
    >
    > > THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
    >
    > Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.

    The New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Devil Rays opened the season in Japan.
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    On 17 Jun 2004 09:12:47 +0100, Gareth Owen
    <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
    >
    >> THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
    >
    >Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.

    Shouldn't they be playing their home games in Montreal?

    George
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    Teabag (teabag420@hotmail.com) writes:
    > The standard definition uses the Ural Mountains rather than the Ural
    > river, but if Erland used the river for the puzzle, then so be it.

    Problem is that the mountain range does not extend down to the Caspian Sea,
    so you need something to sort out that stretch.

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    George Weinberg wrote:

    > On 17 Jun 2004 09:12:47 +0100, Gareth Owen
    > <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
    >>
    >>> THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
    >>
    >>Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Puerto Rico.
    >
    > Shouldn't they be playing their home games in Montreal?

    George, meet Bud Selig. Bug Selig, George.

    "Once Allende comes to power we shall do all within our power
    to condemn Chile and all Chileans to utmost deprivation and poverty."
    -- Edward Korry
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

    > > teabag420@hotmail.com (Teabag) writes:
    > >
    > > > THERE ARE NO MLB TEAMS THAT PLAY HOME GAMES IN PUERTO RICO OR JAPAN.
    > >
    > > Except the Montreal Expos, who do play some home games in Pverto Rico.
    > It's not a home game IF YOU GO TO ANOTHER FUCKING COUNTRY TO PLAY IT!!!

    It was for Manv Samoa (Rvgby Union) when they played in Wellington, New
    Zealand a covple of weeks ago, in both the legal and practical sense of the
    term.

    --
    Errol Cavit | errolGEEcee@hotmail.com
    So we have a paradox. The hard way was also the easy way. What has always

Video Games