Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Theme Tunes
1. The Manic Street Preachers had a top 10 hit with a cover of Suicide is
Painless. Of which tv show was this the theme?
2. Who sings the theme tune to the TV series 'Frasier'?
3. Joe Fagin had a top 5 hit with the theme from Auf Wiedersehen Pet. What
was it called?
4. Which band had a hit with I'll Be There For You, the theme from Friends?
5. The theme tune of which radio programme is "Barwick Green"?
Mountains
6. How many faces are carved into Mount Rushmore?
7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?
8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
9. Heidi was set in the Alps, but in which country?
10. The Appalachian mountains are in which country?
Japan
11. What is the official religion of Japan?
12. What is the name of the current emperor of Japan?
13. What is the second most populated city in Japan after Tokyo?
14. Which Japanese city lends its name to a 1997 world treaty on climate
control?
15. What Japanese martial art translates as "empty hand"?
Spies
16. What was the name of the U2 pilot shot down over the USSR in 1960?
17. What was the name of the spy played by Alec Guinness in "Tinker Tailor
Soldier Spy (both names)
18. Which one of the Cambridge Spies defected to the USSR in 1963?
19. Who played agent 006 in the film Goldeneye?
20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
Intelligence Service?
Motor Sports
21. At which Grand Prix was Ayrton Senna killed?
22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1 world
champion in 1964?
23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?
24. Who won 5 Formula 1 drivers championships in the 1950s
25. What was the name of the TV programme featuring motorcycle trials riding,
presented by Peter Purves?
20th Century American Literature
26. Which book was blamed for Mark Chapman shooting John Lennon?
27. Which book features the character Boo Radley?
28. Which Tom Wolfe book was made into a film starring Tom Hanks and Bruce
Willis?
29. Which novelist wrote The Old Man and the Sea?
30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring Henry
Fonda?
British Scientists
31. Who discovered pennicilin?
32. Who wrote A Brief History of Time?
33. Who designed the analytical engine and the difference engine, the first
mechanical computers?
34. Joseph Priestley is credited with the discovery of element number 8. What
is it?
35. Who invented the smallpox vaccine?
Edward Jenner
36. From what type of plant is tequila made?
37. Which fruit is calvados made from?
38. Which spirit is a Screwdriver made from?
39. Which spirit, made from wormwood, was banned in France?
("containing Wormwood" if you'd rather)
40. What does IPA stand for when referring to beer?
Mythology
41. According to Norse mythology, what did Loki steal from the gods to give
to man?
42. In Norse mythology again, what was the name of the great hall where slain
warriors went after death?
43. What was the name of the sun god of Egyptian mythology
44. According to Greek mythology, what contained all the sorrows of the
world?
45. In which modern country is Transylvania, home of the vampire?
Romania
46. Who played Ben Hur in the 1959 version of the movie?
47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?
48. Which Boris Pasternak novel was filmed with Omar Sharif and Julie
Christie in lead roles?
49. Which actor of Russian descent played Nero in Quo Vadis?
50. What was the name of Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind?
General Knowledge
51. Football: Which Celtic player scored for Wales against Finland last week?
52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?
53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?
54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with a cover
of a Blondie song?
56. Who in the bible said, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and Chigley?
58. Which French philosopher famously said "cogito ergo sum", or "I think
therefore I am"
59. Which author initially refused to appear as the subject of This Is Your
Life in 1974?
60. In which century was the Glencoe Massacre?

"And Gloria cackled, Let there be sparkle: and there was sparkle."

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> Theme Tunes
> 1. The Manic Street Preachers had a top 10 hit with a cover of Suicide
is
> Painless. Of which tv show was this the theme?

M*A*S*H*

> 2. Who sings the theme tune to the TV series 'Frasier'?
> 3. Joe Fagin had a top 5 hit with the theme from Auf Wiedersehen Pet.
What
> was it called?
> 4. Which band had a hit with I'll Be There For You, the theme from
Friends?
> 5. The theme tune of which radio programme is "Barwick Green"?
> Mountains
> 6. How many faces are carved into Mount Rushmore?

four -- Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and T. Roosevelt

> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?

Kenya

> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
> 9. Heidi was set in the Alps, but in which country?

Austria

> 10. The Appalachian mountains are in which country?

United States of Vespucciland

> Japan
> 11. What is the official religion of Japan?

Shinto

> 12. What is the name of the current emperor of Japan?
> 13. What is the second most populated city in Japan after Tokyo?

Osaka

> 14. Which Japanese city lends its name to a 1997 world treaty on climate
> control?

Kyoto

> 15. What Japanese martial art translates as "empty hand"?

karate

> Spies
> 16. What was the name of the U2 pilot shot down over the USSR in 1960?

Francis Gary Powers, who later worked as a helicopter-based traffic reporter
for a Los Angeles radio station. He was killed when his helicopter crashed.

> 17. What was the name of the spy played by Alec Guinness in "Tinker
Tailor
> Soldier Spy (both names)
> 18. Which one of the Cambridge Spies defected to the USSR in 1963?

Kim Philby

> 19. Who played agent 006 in the film Goldeneye?
> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
> Intelligence Service?

MI5.5, plus or minus a half

> Motor Sports
> 21. At which Grand Prix was Ayrton Senna killed?
> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1
world
> champion in 1964?
> 23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?
> 24. Who won 5 Formula 1 drivers championships in the 1950s
> 25. What was the name of the TV programme featuring motorcycle trials
riding,
> presented by Peter Purves?
> 20th Century American Literature
> 26. Which book was blamed for Mark Chapman shooting John Lennon?
> 27. Which book features the character Boo Radley?
> 28. Which Tom Wolfe book was made into a film starring Tom Hanks and
Bruce
> Willis?

Bonfire of the Vanities

> 29. Which novelist wrote The Old Man and the Sea?

Ernest Hemingway

> 30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring Henry
> Fonda?

The Grapes of Wrath

> British Scientists
> 31. Who discovered pennicilin?

Arthur Fleming

> 32. Who wrote A Brief History of Time?

Stephen Hawking

> 33. Who designed the analytical engine and the difference engine, the
first
> mechanical computers?

Charles Babbage

> 34. Joseph Priestley is credited with the discovery of element number 8.
What
> is it?

oxygen

> 35. Who invented the smallpox vaccine?
> Edward Jenner
> 36. From what type of plant is tequila made?

agave, a kind of cactus

> 37. Which fruit is calvados made from?
> 38. Which spirit is a Screwdriver made from?

vodka

> 39. Which spirit, made from wormwood, was banned in France?
> ("containing Wormwood" if you'd rather)

absinthe

> 40. What does IPA stand for when referring to beer?
> Mythology
> 41. According to Norse mythology, what did Loki steal from the gods to
give
> to man?
> 42. In Norse mythology again, what was the name of the great hall where
slain
> warriors went after death?

Valhalla

> 43. What was the name of the sun god of Egyptian mythology

Ra

> 44. According to Greek mythology, what contained all the sorrows of the
> world?
> 45. In which modern country is Transylvania, home of the vampire?
> Romania
> 46. Who played Ben Hur in the 1959 version of the movie?

Charlton "From My Cold Dead Hands" Heston

> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?
> 48. Which Boris Pasternak novel was filmed with Omar Sharif and Julie
> Christie in lead roles?

Doctor Zhivago

> 49. Which actor of Russian descent played Nero in Quo Vadis?
> 50. What was the name of Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind?

Tara

> General Knowledge
> 51. Football: Which Celtic player scored for Wales against Finland last
week?
> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?

Colin Powell

> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?

not the Greek National Museum, that's for sure

> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
> 55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with a
cover
> of a Blondie song?
> 56. Who in the bible said, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
> 57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and
Chigley?
> 58. Which French philosopher famously said "cogito ergo sum", or "I
think
> therefore I am"

Rene Descartes

In article <87fz8xekth.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> Theme Tunes
> 1. The Manic Street Preachers had a top 10 hit with a cover of Suicide is
> Painless. Of which tv show was this the theme?

M-A-S-H

> 2. Who sings the theme tune to the TV series 'Frasier'?

Kelsey Grammer

> 3. Joe Fagin had a top 5 hit with the theme from Auf Wiedersehen Pet. What
> was it called?
> 4. Which band had a hit with I'll Be There For You, the theme from Friends?
> 5. The theme tune of which radio programme is "Barwick Green"?
> Mountains
> 6. How many faces are carved into Mount Rushmore?

four

> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?

Tanzania

> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
> 9. Heidi was set in the Alps, but in which country?

Switzerland

> 10. The Appalachian mountains are in which country?
> Japan
> 11. What is the official religion of Japan?

Shinto

> 12. What is the name of the current emperor of Japan?
> 13. What is the second most populated city in Japan after Tokyo?

Osaka?

> 14. Which Japanese city lends its name to a 1997 world treaty on climate
> control?

Kyoto

> 15. What Japanese martial art translates as "empty hand"?
> Spies
> 16. What was the name of the U2 pilot shot down over the USSR in 1960?

Gary Powers

> 17. What was the name of the spy played by Alec Guinness in "Tinker Tailor
> Soldier Spy (both names)

George Smiley

> 18. Which one of the Cambridge Spies defected to the USSR in 1963?

Kim Philby

> 19. Who played agent 006 in the film Goldeneye?
> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
> Intelligence Service?
> Motor Sports
> 21. At which Grand Prix was Ayrton Senna killed?
> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1 world
> champion in 1964?
> 23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?

Canada?

> 24. Who won 5 Formula 1 drivers championships in the 1950s
> 25. What was the name of the TV programme featuring motorcycle trials riding,
> presented by Peter Purves?
> 20th Century American Literature
> 26. Which book was blamed for Mark Chapman shooting John Lennon?
> 27. Which book features the character Boo Radley?

To Kill A Mockingbird

> 28. Which Tom Wolfe book was made into a film starring Tom Hanks and Bruce
> Willis?
> 29. Which novelist wrote The Old Man and the Sea?

Ernest Hemingway

> 30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring Henry
> Fonda?

Of Mice And Men?

> British Scientists
> 31. Who discovered pennicilin?

Alexander Fleming

> 32. Who wrote A Brief History of Time?

Stephen Hawking

> 33. Who designed the analytical engine and the difference engine, the first
> mechanical computers?
> 34. Joseph Priestley is credited with the discovery of element number 8. What
> is it?

oxygen

> 35. Who invented the smallpox vaccine?
> Edward Jenner

Thanks.

> 36. From what type of plant is tequila made?

cactus

> 37. Which fruit is calvados made from?

pear?

> 38. Which spirit is a Screwdriver made from?

vodka

> 39. Which spirit, made from wormwood, was banned in France?
> ("containing Wormwood" if you'd rather)
> 40. What does IPA stand for when referring to beer?

India Pale Alw

> Mythology
> 41. According to Norse mythology, what did Loki steal from the gods to give
> to man?

fire?

> 42. In Norse mythology again, what was the name of the great hall where slain
> warriors went after death?
> 43. What was the name of the sun god of Egyptian mythology

Ra?

> 44. According to Greek mythology, what contained all the sorrows of the
> world?

Pandora's box

> 45. In which modern country is Transylvania, home of the vampire?
> Romania

Thanks, again.

> 46. Who played Ben Hur in the 1959 version of the movie?

Charlton Heston

> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?

Sir Richard Burton

> 48. Which Boris Pasternak novel was filmed with Omar Sharif and Julie
> Christie in lead roles?

Dr. Zhivago

> 49. Which actor of Russian descent played Nero in Quo Vadis?

Peter Ustinov?

> 50. What was the name of Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind?

Tara

> General Knowledge
> 51. Football: Which Celtic player scored for Wales against Finland last week?
> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?

Please don't remind me.

> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?
> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
> 55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with a cover
> of a Blondie song?
> 56. Who in the bible said, "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Cain

> 57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and Chigley?
> 58. Which French philosopher famously said "cogito ergo sum", or "I think
> therefore I am"

Rene Descartes

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:17:30 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> Theme Tunes
> 1. The Manic Street Preachers had a top 10 hit with a cover of Suicide is
> Painless. Of which tv show was this the theme?
M*A*S*H

4

> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?
Tanzania

> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
> 9. Heidi was set in the Alps, but in which country?
Switzerland?

> 10. The Appalachian mountains are in which country?
US

> Japan
> 11. What is the official religion of Japan?
Shinto?

> 12. What is the name of the current emperor of Japan?
> 13. What is the second most populated city in Japan after Tokyo?
> 14. Which Japanese city lends its name to a 1997 world treaty on climate
> control?
Osaka

> 15. What Japanese martial art translates as "empty hand"?
> Spies
> 16. What was the name of the U2 pilot shot down over the USSR in 1960?
Gary Powers?

> 17. What was the name of the spy played by Alec Guinness in "Tinker Tailor
> Soldier Spy (both names)
> 18. Which one of the Cambridge Spies defected to the USSR in 1963?
> 19. Who played agent 006 in the film Goldeneye?
> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
> Intelligence Service?
> Motor Sports
> 21. At which Grand Prix was Ayrton Senna killed?
> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1 world
> champion in 1964?
> 23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?
> 24. Who won 5 Formula 1 drivers championships in the 1950s
> 25. What was the name of the TV programme featuring motorcycle trials riding,
> presented by Peter Purves?
> 20th Century American Literature
> 26. Which book was blamed for Mark Chapman shooting John Lennon?
> 27. Which book features the character Boo Radley?
To Kill a Mockingbird

> 28. Which Tom Wolfe book was made into a film starring Tom Hanks and Bruce
> Willis?
Hmmmm. The Right Stuff?

> 29. Which novelist wrote The Old Man and the Sea?
Hemingway

> 30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring Henry
> Fonda?
Grapes of Wrath

> British Scientists
> 31. Who discovered pennicilin?
> 32. Who wrote A Brief History of Time?
Steven Hawking

> 33. Who designed the analytical engine and the difference engine, the first
> mechanical computers?
Babbage?

> 34. Joseph Priestley is credited with the discovery of element number 8. What
> is it?
Oxygen?

> 35. Who invented the smallpox vaccine?
> Edward Jenner
Well, yeah, him.

> 36. From what type of plant is tequila made?
Agave

> 37. Which fruit is calvados made from?
Apple

> 38. Which spirit is a Screwdriver made from?
Vodka

> 39. Which spirit, made from wormwood, was banned in France?
> ("containing Wormwood" if you'd rather)
Absinthe

> 40. What does IPA stand for when referring to beer?
India Pale Ale

> Mythology
> 41. According to Norse mythology, what did Loki steal from the gods to give
> to man?
I don't think it was fire--Mead?

> 42. In Norse mythology again, what was the name of the great hall where slain
> warriors went after death?
Valhalla

> 43. What was the name of the sun god of Egyptian mythology
Ra

> 44. According to Greek mythology, what contained all the sorrows of the
> world?
Pandora's Box

> 45. In which modern country is Transylvania, home of the vampire?
> Romania
> 46. Who played Ben Hur in the 1959 version of the movie?
Charleton Heston

> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?
> 48. Which Boris Pasternak novel was filmed with Omar Sharif and Julie
> Christie in lead roles?
Doctor Zhivago

> 49. Which actor of Russian descent played Nero in Quo Vadis?
> 50. What was the name of Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind?
Tara

> General Knowledge
> 51. Football: Which Celtic player scored for Wales against Finland last week?
> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?
> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?
British Museum

> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
> 55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with a cover
> of a Blondie song?
> 56. Who in the bible said, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
Cain

> 57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and Chigley?
> 58. Which French philosopher famously said "cogito ergo sum", or "I think
> therefore I am"
Descartes

Steve Grant wrote:
> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
>> Theme Tunes
>> 1. The Manic Street Preachers had a top 10 hit with a cover of Suicide
>> is Painless. Of which tv show was this the theme?
>
> M*A*S*H*
>
>> 2. Who sings the theme tune to the TV series 'Frasier'? Kelsey Grammer
>> 3. Joe Fagin had a top 5 hit with the theme from Auf Wiedersehen Pet.
>> What was it called?
>> 4. Which band had a hit with I'll Be There For You, the theme from
>> Friends?
>> 5. The theme tune of which radio programme is "Barwick Green"?
>> Mountains
>> 6. How many faces are carved into Mount Rushmore?
>
> four -- Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and T. Roosevelt
>
>> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?
>
> Kenya

It is on the Kenya-Tanzania border but officially in Tanzania.

>> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?

Poland

> [...]
>> Romania
>> 46. Who played Ben Hur in the 1959 version of the movie?
>
> Charlton "From My Cold Dead Hands" Heston
>
>> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?
>> 48. Which Boris Pasternak novel was filmed with Omar Sharif and Julie
>> Christie in lead roles?
>
> Doctor Zhivago
>
>> 49. Which actor of Russian descent played Nero in Quo Vadis? Peter Ustinov
>> 50. What was the name of Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind?
>
> Tara
>
>> General Knowledge
>> 51. Football: Which Celtic player scored for Wales against Finland last
>> week?
>> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?
>
> Colin Powell
>
>> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?
>
> not the Greek National Museum, that's for sure

British Museum?

>> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
>> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
>> 55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with a
>> cover of a Blondie song?
>> 56. Who in the bible said, "Am I my brother's keeper?" Cain
>> 57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and
>> Chigley?
>> 58. Which French philosopher famously said "cogito ergo sum", or "I
>> think therefore I am"
>
> Rene Descartes

Someone mad a rude comment to him, to which Descartes replied, "I
think not" and promptly disappeared.

>> 59. Which author initially refused to appear as the subject of This Is
>> Your Life in 1974?
>> 60. In which century was the Glencoe Massacre?

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87fz8xekth.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?

Australia. Interestingly (to me) I got this right by misreading the
question as what *continent's* highest mountain.. etc. It was only
after I verified the answer that I realized I had answered the wrong
question.

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?
>
> Kenya

Not the answer I have, but I have a feeling that part of it is in
Kenya.

>> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
>> 9. Heidi was set in the Alps, but in which country?
>
> Austria

Nope.

>> 12. What is the name of the current emperor of Japan?
>> 13. What is the second most populated city in Japan after Tokyo?
>
> Osaka

Not what I have, but of course my answer is two years old and I can't
remember where I got it from.

>> 16. What was the name of the U2 pilot shot down over the USSR in 1960?
>
> Francis Gary Powers, who later worked as a helicopter-based traffic reporter
> for a Los Angeles radio station. He was killed when his helicopter crashed.

Nice info. Thanks.

>> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
>> Intelligence Service?
>
> MI5.5, plus or minus a half

:)

>> 31. Who discovered pennicilin?
>
> Arthur Fleming

Almost correct.

>> 36. From what type of plant is tequila made?
>
> agave, a kind of cactus

Heh. Yes. I have "agave/cactus", although I was never sure of the
relationship between them,

>> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?
>
> Colin Powell

Then and now. Not sure how his conscience is, though . . .

>> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?
>
> not the Greek National Museum, that's for sure

Damned right.

Others correct.

"You are the real un-Americans and you should be ashamed of yourselves."
- Paul Robeson to the HUAC

> Steve Grant wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?
> >
> > Kenya
>
> Not the answer I have, but I have a feeling that part of it is in
> Kenya.

Judicious cheating suggests that Kenya is the wrong answer.

http://worldatlas.com/citypops.htm

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Steve Grant wrote:
>>> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?
>> Kenya
>
> It is on the Kenya-Tanzania border but officially in Tanzania.

Thanks. Tanzania was what I was looking for.

>>> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
>
> Poland

Nope.

>>> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?
>> not the Greek National Museum, that's for sure
>
> British Museum?

Yup.

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine
messianic force to be -- a sort of policeman of the whole world." - MLK

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

>> > Osaka
>>
>> Not what I have, but of course my answer is two years old and I can't
>> remember where I got it from.
>
> http://worldatlas.com/citypops.htm

Thanks. I had Yokohama. I have no idea where that came from.

Fair and balanced

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> Steve Grant wrote:
>
>> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

>>> Not what I have, but of course my answer is two years old
>>> and I can't remember where I got it from.
>>
>> http://worldatlas.com/citypops.htm
>
> Thanks. I had Yokohama. I have no idea where that came from.

It's the difference between city and metro area populations. The
page linked to above has only metro areas. Yokohama is in the
Tokyo metro area, so it wouldn't appear there. But if you look at
city pop only, such as on the page below, Yokohama is larger than
Osaka.

http://www.citypopulation.de/Japan.html

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87fz8xekth.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?
>
> Canada?

No.

>> 30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring Henry
>> Fonda?
>
> Of Mice And Men?

Grapes of Wrath.

>> 35. Who invented the smallpox vaccine?
>> Edward Jenner
>
> Thanks.

Ooops!

>> 37. Which fruit is calvados made from?
>
> pear?

Nope

>> 45. In which modern country is Transylvania, home of the vampire?
>> Romania
>
> Thanks, again.

Oooops!

Serves me right for trying to function whilst drunk. :)

>> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?
>
> Sir Richard Burton

Nope. I don't think the actor was knighted, either, although the
explorer was.

F.U.T.K

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

Nitpick: This should be Pub Quiz 8, since you already posted Pub Quiz 7.
:)

> Theme Tunes
> 1. The Manic Street Preachers had a top 10 hit with a cover of
> Suicide is Painless. Of which tv show was this the theme?

1. M*A*S*H

> 2. Who sings the theme tune to the TV series 'Frasier'?

2. Kelsey Grammer

> 3. Joe Fagin had a top 5 hit with the theme from Auf Wiedersehen
> Pet. What
> was it called?
> 4. Which band had a hit with I'll Be There For You, the theme from
> Friends?

4. The Rembrandts

> 5. The theme tune of which radio programme is "Barwick
> Green"?
> Mountains
> 6. How many faces are carved into Mount Rushmore?

6. Four: Washington, Jefferson, T. Roosevelt, Lincoln

> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?

7. Tanzania

> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?

8. Australia

> 9. Heidi was set in the Alps, but in which country?

9. Switzerland

> 10. The Appalachian mountains are in which country?

10. United States

> Japan
> 11. What is the official religion of Japan?

11. None any more? Previously, the state religion was Shinto

> 12. What is the name of the current emperor of Japan?

12. Akihito

> 13. What is the second most populated city in Japan after Tokyo?

13. Osaka?

> 14. Which Japanese city lends its name to a 1997 world treaty on
> climate control?

14. Kyoto

> 15. What Japanese martial art translates as "empty hand"?

15. Karate

> Spies
> 16. What was the name of the U2 pilot shot down over the USSR in
> 1960?

16. Francis Gary Powers

> 17. What was the name of the spy played by Alec Guinness in
> "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (both names)
> 18. Which one of the Cambridge Spies defected to the USSR in 1963?

18. Kim Philby?

> 19. Who played agent 006 in the film Goldeneye?
> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
> Intelligence Service?
> Motor Sports
> 21. At which Grand Prix was Ayrton Senna killed?

21. 1994 at Imola, which I think is the GP of San Marino. Or is that at
Monza?

> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1
> world
> champion in 1964?
> 23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?

23. Only 1000 Lakes? I know Finland holds the 10,000 Lakes Rally.

> 24. Who won 5 Formula 1 drivers championships in the 1950s

24. Fangio

> 25. What was the name of the TV programme featuring motorcycle
> trials riding,
> presented by Peter Purves?
> 20th Century American Literature
> 26. Which book was blamed for Mark Chapman shooting John Lennon?
> 27. Which book features the character Boo Radley?

27. The book whose movie adaptation won Gregory Peck an Academy Award.

> 28. Which Tom Wolfe book was made into a film starring Tom Hanks and
> Bruce
> Willis?

28. Bonfire of the Vanities?

> 29. Which novelist wrote The Old Man and the Sea?

29. Hemingway

> 30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring
> Henry
> Fonda?

30. East of Eden?

> British Scientists
> 31. Who discovered pennicilin?

31. Alexander Fleming

> 32. Who wrote A Brief History of Time?

32. Hawking

> 33. Who designed the analytical engine and the difference engine,
> the first
> mechanical computers?

33. Babbage

> 34. Joseph Priestley is credited with the discovery of element
> number 8. What
> is it?

34. Dephlogisticated air, IIRC. Oxygen.

> 35. Who invented the smallpox vaccine?
> Edward Jenner
> 36. From what type of plant is tequila made?
> 37. Which fruit is calvados made from?
> 38. Which spirit is a Screwdriver made from?

38. Vodka and Orange Juice

> 39. Which spirit, made from wormwood, was banned in France?
> ("containing Wormwood" if you'd rather)

39. Absinthe; it maketh the heart grow fonder.

> 40. What does IPA stand for when referring to beer?
> Mythology
> 41. According to Norse mythology, what did Loki steal from the gods
> to give to man?

41. Fire

> 42. In Norse mythology again, what was the name of the great hall
> where slain warriors went after death?

42. Valhalla

> 43. What was the name of the sun god of Egyptian mythology

43. Ra

> 44. According to Greek mythology, what contained all the sorrows of
> the world?

44. Pandora's Box

> 45. In which modern country is Transylvania, home of the vampire?
> Romania
> 46. Who played Ben Hur in the 1959 version of the movie?
> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?
> 48. Which Boris Pasternak novel was filmed with Omar Sharif and
> Julie Christie in lead roles?

48. And a terrible movie at that; Doktor Zhivago

> 49. Which actor of Russian descent played Nero in Quo Vadis?

49. Peter Ustinov

> 50. What was the name of Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind?

50. Tara

> General Knowledge
> 51. Football: Which Celtic player scored for Wales against Finland
> last week?

51. John Hartson?

> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?

52. Colin Powell

> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?

53. Ask this question to your Greek friends. :) The British Museum.

> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote
> the
> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
> 55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with
> a cover
> of a Blondie song?
> 56. Who in the bible said, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
> 57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and
> Chigley?
> 58. Which French philosopher famously said "cogito ergo
> sum", or "I think therefore I am"

58. Descartes

> 59. Which author initially refused to appear as the subject of This
> Is Your
> Life in 1974?
> 60. In which century was the Glencoe Massacre?

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

Alan Morgan wrote:

> In article <87fz8xekth.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
>> 8. Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
>
> Australia.

Correct.

"George, don't do that"

"Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message
> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
> > Steve Grant wrote:
> >
> >> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> >> http://worldatlas.com/citypops.htm
> >
> > Thanks. I had Yokohama. I have no idea where that came from.
>
> It's the difference between city and metro area populations. The
> page linked to above has only metro areas. Yokohama is in the
> Tokyo metro area, so it wouldn't appear there. But if you look at
> city pop only, such as on the page below, Yokohama is larger than
> Osaka.
>
> http://www.citypopulation.de/Japan.html
>
> --
> Dan Tilque

The URL you cite also shows metro areas and has metro Osaka with a few
hundred thousand people more than metro Yokohama.

How this all relates to the original question is moot.

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:17:30 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 28. Which Tom Wolfe book was made into a film starring Tom Hanks and Bruce
>> Willis?
> Hmmmm. The Right Stuff?

Bonfire of the Vanities.

>> 41. According to Norse mythology, what did Loki steal from the gods to give
>> to man?
> I don't think it was fire--Mead?

It was fire.

All others correct.

We have always been at war with Eurasia

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
> Intelligence Service?

MI6?

> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?

Gladstone?
--
Mark Brader "How many pessimists end up by desiring
Toronto the things they fear, in order to prove

Ted S. wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
>

> Nitpick: This should be Pub Quiz 8, since you already posted Pub Quiz 7.
> :)

Ta!

>> 21. At which Grand Prix was Ayrton Senna killed?
>
> 21. 1994 at Imola, which I think is the GP of San Marino. Or is that at
> Monza?

Imola, San Marino.

>> 23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?
>
> 23. Only 1000 Lakes? I know Finland holds the 10,000 Lakes Rally.

I'm looking for Finland. I think the 10,000 Lakes rally is in Minnesota.

>> 30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring
>> Henry
>> Fonda?
>
> 30. East of Eden?

Grapes of Wrath.

Others correct.

The snow meant for them falls on the roadway

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Dan Tilque" <dtilque@nwlink.com> wrote in message
>> Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>> Thanks. I had Yokohama. I have no idea where that came from.
>>
>> It's the difference between city and metro area populations.
>> The page linked to above has only metro areas. Yokohama is in
>> the Tokyo metro area, so it wouldn't appear there. But if you
>> look at city pop only, such as on the page below, Yokohama is
>> larger than Osaka.
>>
>> http://www.citypopulation.de/Japan.html
>
> The URL you cite also shows metro areas and has metro Osaka
> with a few hundred thousand people more than metro Yokohama.

There are no metro area populations on that page. Those are the
prefecture populations.

> How this all relates to the original question is moot.

Indeed.

--
Dan Tilque

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1. The Manic Street Preachers had a top 10 hit with a cover of Suicide is
> Painless. Of which tv show was this the theme?

MASH

ObTrivia : What was the B-Side (clue: it wasn't the MSP)

> 2. Who sings the theme tune to the TV series 'Frasier'?

Kelsey Grammar

> 3. Joe Fagin had a top 5 hit with the theme from Auf Wiedersehen Pet. What
> was it called?

Thats Living All Right

> 4. Which band had a hit with I'll Be There For You, the theme from Friends?

The Rembrandts

> 5. The theme tune of which radio programme is "Barwick Green"?

The Archers.

> 6. How many faces are carved into Mount Rushmore?

4

> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?

Kenya?

> 8 . Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?

Japan

> 9. Heidi was set in the Alps, but in which country?

Switzerland?

> 10. The Appalachian mountains are in which country?

The US

> 11. What is the official religion of Japan?

Shinto

> 12. What is the name of the current emperor of Japan?

Akihito

> 13. What is the second most populated city in Japan after Tokyo?

Kyoto?

> 14. Which Japanese city lends its name to a 1997 world treaty on climate
> control?

Oh.. Kyoto.

> 15. What Japanese martial art translates as "empty hand"?

Karate

> 16. What was the name of the U2 pilot shot down over the USSR in 1960?

Gary Powers

> 17. What was the name of the spy played by Alec Guinness in "Tinker Tailor
> Soldier Spy (both names)

George Smiley

> 18. Which one of the Cambridge Spies defected to the USSR in 1963?

Kim Philby?

> 19. Who played agent 006 in the film Goldeneye?

Boromir.

> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
> Intelligence Service?

MI6

> 21. At which Grand Prix was Ayrton Senna killed?

Imola

> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1 world
> champion in 1964?

Damn, I should know this. Mike someone.

> 23. Which country held the Thousand Lakes Rally?

One of those interchangeable Scandinavian ones :) Finland, I think.

> 24. Who won 5 Formula 1 drivers championships in the 1950s

Fangio

> 25. What was the name of the TV programme featuring motorcycle trials riding,
> presented by Peter Purves?

"My precious, precious child, I love you and would never leave you.
During your times of suffering and when you see only one set of footprints,
that must have been when I was appearing on Junior Kickstart."
-- The Genius of Half Man Half Biscuit

> 26. Which book was blamed for Mark Chapman shooting John Lennon?

Catcher In The Rye

> 27. Which book features the character Boo Radley?

To Kill A Mockingbird

> 28. Which Tom Wolfe book was made into a film starring Tom Hanks and Bruce
> Willis?

Bonfire of the Vanities

> 29. Which novelist wrote The Old Man and the Sea?

Hemingway

> 30. Which John Steinbeck novel was made into a 1940 film starring Henry
> Fonda?

Grapes of Wrath.
Good god, a literature round featuring books I've actually read :)

> 31. Who discovered pennicilin?

Fleming

> 32. Who wrote A Brief History of Time?

Hawking

> 33. Who designed the analytical engine and the difference engine, the first
> mechanical computers?

Babbage

> 34. Joseph Priestley is credited with the discovery of element number 8. What
> is it?

Oxygen

> 35. Who invented the smallpox vaccine?

My money's on
> "Edward Jenner"

> 36. From what type of plant is tequila made?

Cactus

> 37. Which fruit is calvados made from?

Orange

> 38. Which spirit is a Screwdriver made from?

Vodka

> 39. Which spirit, made from wormwood, was banned in France?

Absinthe (which makes the heart grow fonder)

> 40. What does IPA stand for when referring to beer?

India Pale Ale

> 41. According to Norse mythology, what did Loki steal from the gods to give
> to man?

Fire?

> 42. In Norse mythology again, what was the name of the great hall where slain
> warriors went after death?

Valhalla

> 43. What was the name of the sun god of Egyptian mythology

Ra

> 44. According to Greek mythology, what contained all the sorrows the world?

Pandora's box

> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?

Kenneth Williams. Or maybe Richard Burton.

> 48. Which Boris Pasternak novel was filmed with Omar Sharif and Julie
> Christie in lead roles?

Dr Zhivago

> 49. Which actor of Russian descent played Nero in Quo Vadis?

Peter Ustinov

> 50. What was the name of Scarlett's house in Gone With The Wind?

Tara

> 51. Football: Which Celtic player scored for Wales against Finland last week?

Big Fat John.

> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?

Ashcroft

> 53. In which museum are the Elgin Marbles?

British Museum

> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?

Benjamin Disraeli

> 55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with a cover
> of a Blondie song?

Atomic Kitten? If this was "The Tide Is High", shame on you for not knowing
this was originally by "The Paragons"

> 56. Who in the bible said, "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Cain

> 57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and Chigley?

Brian Cant?

> 58. Which French philosopher famously said "cogito ergo sum", or "I think
> therefore I am"

Descartes

> 60. In which century was the Glencoe Massacre?

15th?

--
Gareth Owen
Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?

Mark Brader wrote:

>> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
>> Intelligence Service?
>
> MI6?

Yup.

>> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
>> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
>
> Gladstone?

The other one :)

F.U.T.K

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> Steve Grant wrote:
>>
>>> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

>>> http://worldatlas.com/citypops.htm
>>
>> Thanks. I had Yokohama. I have no idea where that came from.
>
> It's the difference between city and metro area populations. The
> page linked to above has only metro areas. Yokohama is in the
> Tokyo metro area, so it wouldn't appear there. But if you look at
> city pop only, such as on the page below, Yokohama is larger than
> Osaka.
>
> http://www.citypopulation.de/Japan.html

Aha. Thanks. I've given up asking questions about city
populations. Nobody can agree on what a city is.

"Can I do you now, sir?"

Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> 7. In which African country is Kilimanjaro?
>
> Kenya?

Tanzania

>> 8 . Which country's highest mountain is Mount Kosciuszko, at 2,229m?
>
> Japan

Australia

>> 22. Which Brit was 4-times world motorcycle champion, and Formula 1 world
>> champion in 1964?
>
> Damn, I should know this. Mike someone.

Hawthorne? Nope. :)

John Surtees

>> 25. What was the name of the TV programme featuring motorcycle trials riding,
>> presented by Peter Purves?
>
> "My precious, precious child, I love you and would never leave you.
> During your times of suffering and when you see only one set of footprints,
> that must have been when I was appearing on Junior Kickstart."
> -- The Genius of Half Man Half Biscuit

Hah! Yes. And I agree about the genius.
>> 47. who played Julius Ceaser in the 1963 version of Cleopatra?
>
> Kenneth Williams.

Infamy. Infamy. They've all got it infamy.

> Or maybe Richard Burton.

He played the Sid James role.

The answer is Rex Harrison.

>> 52. Who is the current US Secretary of State?
>
> Ashcroft

Colin Powell. Ashcroft is in charge of evasion of the law.

>> 55. Which all-woman band is currently number one in the charts with a cover
>> of a Blondie song?
>
> Atomic Kitten? If this was "The Tide Is High", shame on you for not knowing
> this was originally by "The Paragons"

Shame on me, indeed.

>> 57. Who narrated the kids tv shows Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and Chigley?
>
> Brian Cant?

Yes he can.

>> 60. In which century was the Glencoe Massacre?
>
> 15th?

17th. 1692.

Surveillance makes me free

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

>>> 20. Which of the UK's agencies is more properly called the Special
>>> Intelligence Service?
>>
>> MI6?
>

> Yup.
>
>>> 54. He was prime minister of Great Britain from 1874-1880, and wrote the
>>> novels Coningsby and Vivien Grey. Who was he?
>>
>> Gladstone?
>
> The other one :)

Well, gee, they were both 50-50, what did you expect? :)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | ... "reasonable system" is of course defined as
msb@vex.net | "any one *I've* ever used..." -- Steve Summit